Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't want to beat a dead horse but....I plan to order a Rav 4. Live and Socal and rarely go off road. Would only get 4x4 for the safety of 4 wheel drive in slippery conditions. But if the Rav4 4 wheel drive shuts off above 25 mph it seems like it would be of little use to me. Any opinions? Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
I believe it is only the full-time 4WD lock button that turns off above 25MPH. At higher speeds, it is an adaptive 4WD system that engages when it senses wheel slip.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Monetnj is right. The AWD system with the traction control mode works at any speed in RAV4.3. However, I doubt that it adds anything to the safety when driving in LA/SD area, because it never snows there. When a dangerous situation arizes, you aren't going to powerslide out of it with RAV4. But the remainder of VSC applies equally to 4x2 and 4x4 versions, because it acts on brakes.

The 4x4 is only needed when you go skiing or off-road. IMHO, it's a waste of money (both purchase and fuel) as far as safety is concerned.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Needs and wants, needs and wants... You can say what you want about needing fuel economy, wasting money or whatever. I didn't buy a new car to save money. A car is really the only time a guy can get away with playing dress up. Ooooh there are just such lovely little trinkets I must add.

On 4X4 Lock being only enabled up to 25mph:

I can certainly recall plenty of times in the winter where I didn't even need 15 mph 4X4 mode. Heck if I was able to do 5 mph safely in my car in heavy snow I'd be happy. You can clearly feel the 4X4 mode. I hear the voices now "I am become Spiderman. :cool:
In a jiffy the 4X4 mode pops you out of your snow, slush and ice covered parking spot you left your car in and safely(no slip) drives you through the blizzard and to the store, hospital or the corner sports bar. Besides, it's not like the SUV turns into a pumpkin after 25mph. The 4WD is sweetness.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dont be confused by 4x4 lock.

Part time system in Rav4 is very much active system. It works all the time, depending on conditions of your drive. It is not something that turns only when you start sliding.

I just went on the mountain road during rain, to test it out. I have an diesel version which has a lots of torque, and in normal driving in FWD vehicle, wheels would slip when you push it in 2nd gear. Not so in Rav4.
- You dont feel torque steer at any point.
- You dont feel wheels slipping during rain like FWD would.
- overextend yourself in tight curve, press the pedal and feel back wheels pulling you out. In FWD you would lose control at this point.
- you dont feel system engaging on/off at any time.

It is pretty wonderful system in reality, I am pretty suprised at how effective and seemless it is. Its awesome.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
4WD is not just about snow. It is an advantage in rain weather.

There are pluses and minuses to everything.

On the plus side is traction in raining weather
One the minus side you are adding weight and other mechanical components that require service over time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
After driving my wifes Quattro for the last couple of winters I appreciate four wheel drive. It sounds like the RAV4 apploys the same technique as the Quattro too, with AWD on demand. It is a very nice system and the electronic clutch is one of the lightest. In normal driving you only pay the weight penalty regarding mileage. The differences are small. I doubt it will add much safety in rain, since you have FWD already. It is for the winters or the mountains that you will appreciate AWD.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm bias about the 4wd so I won't say how GOOD it is, I'll try to contain my EXCITMENT that I get out of driving through almost anything (and believe me I do). I will say however that if resale is something you think of when you purchase then 4wd is the way to go. If you live in an area where 4wd is rare on a RAV then you will have an even better chance of getting top dollar when the time comes to put it out to pasture.

You say you're not the off-roading type. Well none of us were before we bought our first 4x4. Its an acquired taste like allot of things but once its in your blood you will have a hard time getting over the bug. Next thing you know you'll be washing off mud from the undercaridge for a week like me.

The choice is yours.
Later. M.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
If you dont go offroad and you dont drive in the snow, you dont need 4WD. The stability system and the traction control will keep you safe in the rain.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Raffor said:
It sounds like the RAV4 apploys the same technique as the Quattro too, with AWD on demand. It is a very nice system and the electronic clutch is one of the lightest.
The first part is incorrect - the Audi quattro manual and automatic system has a 50/50 full time split. It doesn't shift power front to back like the RAV4 "on demand" system, which is actually more like the automatic equipped Subarus, which are normally "mostly" FWD with power added to the rear as needed.

Your second statement is spot on - the RAV4 system is light and very capable. I am curious about long term durability, but I expect it will be excellent.

John Davies
Spokane WA

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its not really like Subaru's - which has all mechanical system. Its very much like xdrive, but faster.

·
Registered
771 Posts
John E Davies said:
The first part is incorrect - the Audi quattro manual and automatic system has a 50/50 full time split. It doesn't shift power front to back like the RAV4 "on demand" system.......
Actually you are a little off hear as well. The "AUDI" system is a 60/40 during regular driving but will transfer up to 55% to the rear wheels with the more power you apply. It doesn't have to slip to do this you just need to push it harder.
A friend of mine races AUDI's and he does so because of the systems power distribution. Great handling when under extreme load because it balances out the car and literally pushes you out of a corner.

Just thought I would clarify.

Toyota has a system that Honda has tried to buy the patient for many times because it is more advanced than theirs. Way to go Toyota! Enjoy your 4x4 system and live with the peace of mind that it is one of the best out there.

Later. M.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Marcutio said:
Toyota has a system that Honda has tried to buy the patient for many times because it is more advanced than theirs. Way to go Toyota! Enjoy your 4x4 system and live with the peace of mind that it is one of the best out there.

Later. M.
I agree, I have owned both the RAV and the MDX, both have electronic 4WD. The Toyota system works much better in the snow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts