Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

So here's the deal. My wife and I have wanted a Rav4 for awhile and a '98 recently popped up on a classifieds site and we're wondering if we should purchase it.

We have owned a Toyota in the passed and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Here's the specs of the Rav4.

Model: '98 Toyota RAV4 GT Sport [AWD Manual]
Condition: Fairly good condition. A small dent on the hood from the looks of it. No rust that I can see.
Mileage/KMs: 219,000 KMs
Other: Loaded with power everything, cruise control, AC/Great heater, CD/MP3/Aux stereo, etc.

The asking price is $3,000 CAD. I'm wondering about asking if he would take $2,500 CAD. What do you guys think? Any advice? My big concern of course is the KMs...Are Rav4's known to go much higher? Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
609 Posts
That's about 131K miles, so it should do twice that.

Have fun!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just consider this, if you offer $2500, you are conceding that you are willing to settle in the $2700-$2800 range, if you truly want to pay $2500, offer less.

How rusty is it? Most of our local 4.1 cars, in New England, are rust buckets :(.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just consider this, if you offer $2500, you are conceding that you are willing to settle in the $2700-$2800 range, if you truly want to pay $2500, offer less.

How rusty is it? Most of our local 4.1 cars, in New England, are rust buckets :(.
Agree on the price offer.

Disagree on rust issue. My 4.1 has lived in NY/NJ (no garage) its whole life and only shows minimal, if any, rust on the underbody. Exhaust is gone though.. Shame they didn't make them in stainless steel back then.

Ask for a list of maintenance performed over the life of the car. Oil changes, spark plugs, etc. A well maintained 4.1 will last at least 250,000 miles.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oh yes, ever so subjective “minimal rust” statement. Being a car nut in New England, I have learned that this label means very different things to different people ;). If you can see ANY rust on the outside, that typically indicated that there is A LOT MORE where you can’t see it! I have been looking to buy a local 4.1 for several years and eventually gave up, because of rust on local cars and bought one from Florida.

BTW, garaging a winter driven car is NOT a good thing! All you do is melt snow quicker, keep it in more humid environment and accelerate rusting (rust, as virtually all chemical reactions, speeds up at higher temperatures). So not garaging it only helps!

You can improve your car’s longevity by washing off the salt regularly, so people who do this have longer surviving cars. But that can get pricy, our local cars wash, that includes undercarriage washing is $13! :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok. I agree. There's some rust on the bodywork. Probably a lot more where I can't see it.

I always wash the car at a self-service car wash after it snows. It's $2 for 2 minutes. I just pressure wash it off and dry it with a microfiber tower. Or if you have a pressure washer yourself, even better.

·
Registered
159 Posts
To be fair, I am a well known "rust hater". I am extremely picky when it comes to looking for rust and I have rejected cars for "too much rust" when many normal people will still think they are OK.

But this comes from years of working on cars in rust belt, so if I have a choice, I would not work on rusty cars. That is why most of my cars are from the South!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Only rust on my '97 with 183tmls is the underbody. Front end linkage/stabilizer etc is one huge rusty mess. When my radiator blew last year the A/C had to be pulled to get the replacment in as it was also a rust ball. The body still looks very good except for the dings and scratches. When washed it shines like new. I do not wish to invest more in her as she is pushing past 19 years old. So this year will be the last for the old girl. Will hate to see her go.

·
Registered
412 Posts
2000, 2300, 2500, 3000, 3500 .............. This price range means nothing.

It is all your luck. If I have a feeling about a car being solid, I don't mind paying extra 500 on it thinking that I won't have to spend those 2000 for a car that is 1000 cheaper.

It all evens out.

I bought mine for 3500 with 160k miles on it. It was almost perfect. I spent money on it to make it perfect because I love it and I drive it around USA. I could have bought a newer RAV4 but I refuse to blend in with all other mini SUVs. This one stands out !!!!! I originally bought it as a beater so I can safe my FJ but it turned out that it is now my all around vehicle. I go camping and do everything in it.

It has never let me down. I drove it straight 37 hours once without sleep and lots of coffee. It didn't blink once.

I have 193k miles on it.

Only one major issue !!!! ... steering rack had to be changed. Come on. The car deserved it after 18 years and 190k some miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts