Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum.
I've bought a RAV4 second generation (petrol engine, special limited edition, late 2003) for my lady partner.
The previous owner thought fit to replace the original stereo unit with a rather garish Sony WX 800 UI with flashing coloured display in order to have a USB port, but neither of us like it.
I have the original Toyota unit and I'm wondering whether to put that back in the dashboard. For whatever reason, the remote controls on the steering wheel don't function with the new Sony, for one thing. I would also like to recover the NAVI/TRIP function, which seems to be some kind of simple onboard computer. It would be nice to have an odometer trip too, as this does not appear to be incorporated in the main instruments.
Or should we consider going for a quality modern unit incorporating GPS (and even parking radar?), something which has a good radio and a CD player too? If so, what make or model might be suitable or desirable?
Thanks in advance,
Leachim in the South of France

·
Registered
3 Posts
You might as well try the stock stereo since you already have it and the process is pretty simple in a 4.2 Rav. You may end up liking it enough plus it wouldn't have cost you anything (providing the previous owner used an adapter harness and didn't hardwire it) and you'll have full steering wheel controls.

I ended up putting an Android head unit in my 2005 with GPS and the whole 9 yards but I'm honestly not happy with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks the view/advice, ajgenard. What's the procedure for taking the radio out? I'm used to using two fine steel rods, one either side of the unit, on other makes. Anything to look out for when trying to put the original unit back in, bearng in mind that I want to recover the navi/trip function and the steering wheel controls? And why are you not happy with your Android unit ? I take it you would not recommend that one then, whatever it is.

Thanks in advance,
Leachim

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are a couple YouTube vids that specifically show a 2001-03 Rav stereo removal (slightly different from a 2004-05). And I'm sure if you look around on this forum there are others who have explained it better than I can.

The headunit I installed is an Xtrons PS66HGT. It specifically fits certain Toyotas but somehow runs Android worse than a bottom-of-the-line tablet. It crashes frequently and runs the simplest of apps at a snail's pace. Plus with all the extra wires going into it for the GPS antenna, front DVR cam, backup cam, and USB ports, there is now annoying rattling in various parts of my dash at different times. Sooner rather than later I will get rid of all this nonsense.

You say you'd like the odometer trip function back - is there not a black stick button on the gauge cluster by the odometer? That should cycle thru odometer > trip A > trip B with short presses. Long presses reset trip A or B.

Presumably you have an EU model and I'm not sure of the differences from my 2005 North American counterpart so I could be totally off base here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all that. I was just a bit stupid and confused over the odometer trip, never seen an A and a B trip like that..

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd like to add that some of the aftermarket radios will still provide fuel consumption and miles-before-empty information.

Mine has a user data function that lets me store MPG information and the computer continually updates it's database with the information I provide. While driving it uses an algorithm and provides me with real time fuel consumption. The more data I provide the more accurate it becomes. I calculate it's within 4% error currently, which incidentally is more accurate than a factory Toyota product.

·
Registered
26 Posts
@Leachim Any updates on this? Apologize for a late response. I have a 03’ L and replaced the whole system, 6-speakers & headunit.
Rockford Fosgate speakers, Fosgate tweeters and a Sony headunit. Apple CarPlay is so nice now. Sound is much better and I also plan on adding a backup camera; don’t need it but system allows the addition.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts