Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. First post here.

I'm about to take delivery on a new RAV4 Hyrbrid in a couple of days.

Haven't bought a new car in a long time.

Wondering if anybody has any advice on what I should look do/check before I take delivery.

I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The dealer should have a checklist to go through with you. Apart from that, look at it like you would look at a used car. Look for dings, scratches, make sure all the accessories you paid for are there. Check the tire pressure to be sure they re-adjusted that. (they come off the boat at 55psi)

·
Registered
211 Posts
The dealer should have a checklist to go through with you. Apart from that, look at it like you would look at a used car. Look for dings, scratches, make sure all the accessories you paid for are there. Check the tire pressure to be sure they re-adjusted that. (they come off the boat at 55psi)
Sounds like a potential lawsuit Toyota could have on their hands. 55 psi is 38% over the maximum rated tire pressure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Make sure it's daytime and not raining when you go to pick it up... don't let them rush you through your inspection.

Go over the exterior paint with a fine tooth comb- look for scratches, swirls, etc... once you sign on the dotted line- you own any and all defects.
On the interior look for scratches in the plastic and joints that don't meet properly.

Be prepared to "just say no" to the finance guy regarding the extended warranty!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good responses so far. I would add that on my last purchase the dealership had an "electronics guy" come out and sit with us and pair our phones to the Entune system and briefly go over the interior systems. You might be a little overwhelmed, especially on a hybrid, but don't expect to be an expert on everything at one sitting. It'll take some time, and you'll get manuals. Others have said (and I agree) to look over the car closely for paint defects, dings, and imperfections: the dealership isn't doing you a favor- you bought the car. Any issues you might find later should be covered under Toyota's standard warranty. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
have any minor fixes done on the spot. anything else that may take longer, get it in writing. or, you can refuse the vehicle and ask for a replacement. take your time looking over the exterior and interior. also, you can mandate that the glue-on (to the paint) dealer identity tags not be added. good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try out the "intelligent AWD" to get used to it. For example, I have a stop sign near my home, and I usually turn right there and immediately go up a steep hill. If there has been heavy dew in the morning, or a little rain, I can definitely feel the second electric motor (on the rear axle) kick in. It felt a little odd at first, but I like the extra traction when needed without the bulk of a gear-based AWD.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Check the tire pressure to be sure they re-adjusted that. (they come off the boat at 55psi)
I remembered this and checked mine today. They ranged from 50-53 so the dealer missed that on his checklist. I thought the ride seemed a little harsh yesterday on our first drive over the lousy post-winter rutts and potholes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey, thanks very much for the tip about checking tire pressure. Just got our new Rav4 Hybrid Ltd. Monday and the dealer missed this. Tires had 60 lbs.

We were a little disappointed with the hard ride and I was ready to go get different tires. Saw this post, checked my tires, let out air to 32 psi and now it rides like a dream.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had to laugh when I read the post that said, don't pick the car up if it is raining, clearly this guy is not from the Pacific North West, with that advise you might have to wait a month to get your SUV here in Vancouver. I live on the North Shore in Greater Vancouver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts