Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I got a RAV4 2009 2.4 Sport, 138,000 KM, in Canada.

When bought the car (about 6 months ago), it would make a clunk noise when turning the wheels (while not running) to the max. Toyota replaced some parts that fixed the issue.

Now, it has started to make another clunk noise while turning at low speed every now and them. Apparently, lots has been said about this issue in this forum. Some people have suggested DYI fixes, etc. but others have went to the dealers and the repair costs are pretty expensive.

Question is: if I chose not to fix this ('cause I'm really not bothered at all by that), would that end up screwing something else in the steering system?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
The noise is just metal banging slightly on plastic due to "dried up" grease. It doesn't hurt either the metal or the plastic because there's no force behind the contact so it won't damage anything. Ours has done it for years but we've gotten so used to it we don't even notice it anymore.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hey,

I got a RAV4 2009 2.4 Sport, 138,000 KM, in Canada.

When bought the car (about 6 months ago), it would make a clunk noise when turning the wheels (while not running) to the max. Toyota replaced some parts that fixed the issue.

Now, it has started to make another clunk noise while turning at low speed every now and them. Apparently, lots has been said about this issue in this forum. Some people have suggested DYI fixes, etc. but others have went to the dealers and the repair costs are pretty expensive.
Which car do you actually have? A previous post you purchased a V6? Also the 2009 4-cyl was upgraded to a 2.5L engine, not 2.4. And the steering clunk you mentioned is associated with earlier models than 2009. You might have something else going on not related to the earlier posts, as I #think# the issue was solved by Toyota in 2009.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which car do you actually have? A previous post you purchased a V6? Also the 2009 4-cyl was upgraded to a 2.5L engine, not 2.4. And the steering clunk you mentioned is associated with earlier models than 2009. You might have something else going on not related to the earlier posts, as I #think# the issue was solved by Toyota in 2009.
I had initially bought a 2009 V6, but it had that tranny noise and I was able to "exchange" it. So after trying out a 2.5L and confirming that that engine had more than enough power for my needs. It's actually "peppier" than a rental 2016 Nissan Rogue I drove a month ago :)

Also, yes, you are right: the engine is 2.5L.

I have a 2009 RAV4 Sport (2.5L engine) AWD.

Toyota may have fixed the issue in 2009 for the 2010+ model, not sure. It's just that my "clunk noise" fits exactly the description mentioned by other people in this forum.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The noise is just metal banging slightly on plastic due to "dried up" grease. It doesn't hurt either the metal or the plastic because there's no force behind the contact so it won't damage anything. Ours has done it for years but we've gotten so used to it we don't even notice it anymore.
Right on. I'll try the "grease injection" method suggested by other people here and will let you guys know.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Thanks for the update. The reason I'm concerned is I have the 2009 and was thinking I dodged the bullet on the steering clunk problem, having read a lot of the posts on the topic. Good luck on your fix and please lt us know your results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts