Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased my 2016 Rav4 Limited Hybrid in october. I thought i would like it because of the gas mileage and the features. But after 4 months, i think i want to go back to VW.

I traded my Jetta 1.8 turbo 5 speed with tune and exhaust for this Rav4. And i really should have kept the jetta.

Anyway, my Payoff on my rav is 23,000 and the dealership is going to give me 28,000 for my rav with 5000 miles on it.

The car i am wanting is a 2016 VW GTI that is a hold over from last model. Its the top trim autobahn with performance back. Its really nice. and the OTD price with trade is 25,000

What do you guys / gals think?

keep the Rav4 or get the GTI?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was an honest question.

I do enjoy the gas milage and the electric-ness of the rav4, but i realized i am still a stupid young person that likes more speed and fun than sensibilities.
also i only drive 200 miles a month now so gas is not a huge factor for me any more.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
My contribution for whatever it's worth is that my sister had a VW GTi which she had for 21 years and really liked it. Traded it for a '15 VW Golf TDi (diesel) which she really likes and gets 46-48 mpg. Test drove a RAV hybrid and didn't like it nearly as much as the Golf.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
So the VW dealer is going to give you $28000 in trade and you still have to pony up $25000?? Is a 2016 GTI really worth $53000???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a GTI is not worth $53,000.

I owe $23000 on the rav and they will give me $28000. so thats $5000 dollars.
The GTI WITH my trade is only 25,000.

So if anything, i will come out with 2000 extra dollars to finance over 60 months.
I am still mulling it over. thats why i ask here.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
It was an honest question.

I do enjoy the gas mileage and the electric-ness of the rav4, but i realized i am still a stupid young person that likes more speed and fun than sensibilities.
also i only drive 200 miles a month now so gas is not a huge factor for me any more.
IMO you don't know what you want and must have the $$$$$ to live that way. Your big mistake was buying too new and too slow a RAV4. Should've gotten a V6 - available thru 2012. I really do miss a stick shift tho!

Anyway after you get your GTI stop by and I'll stay with you in my RAV4 V6. And if the road is a little wet I'll embarrass you.

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
Get what you want, you've already made up your mind anyway.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Get what you want, you've already made up your mind anyway.
Yep, and don't get too attached to it since you'll probably change your mind again in another 5,000 miles. :doh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just turned in a 2015 VW SEL TDI through the diesel buyback program. It was a great little car. Peppy with very good mileage. But the refund price being offered was too good to pass up. It would never be worth that much again.
So I bought a 2014 Audi S4. Absolutely love the car.

Now we just picked up a 2017 Rav4 Hybrid Limited for my wife. It’s a nice car. It does drive like an appliance though. Nothing invigorating about the drive but that’s ok if it doesn’t matter to the owner. My wife likes it. Remember “Happy wife = Happy life”.

I wouldn’t buy a Rav4 for myself, FWIW.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's different for everyone in terms of preference, wants, and needs. My wife is happy with her 2011 RAV4. Has absolutely zero issues, especially in winter. I remember trying to get home some winters when I had a car and I would always get stuck getting up the hills to get home when it snowed lots. I knew I needed something good in snow, roomy, and great gas mileage for my long commute. Nothing came close to the RAV4 in that category. It still surprises me the fuel efficiency, especially in summer when you can get in the low 40s for MPG. At heart I love cars, but my needs pretty much dictated that I get something utility to handle all the tasks at hand and I'm pretty happy with that decision.:smile

·
Registered
85 Posts
So I purchased my 2016 Rav4 Limited Hybrid in october. I thought i would like it because of the gas mileage and the features. But after 4 months, i think i want to go back to VW.

What do you guys / gals think?

keep the Rav4 or get the GTI?

Thanks!
I've owned both and can sympathize with you. The Rav4 definitely has more room in it but the GTi its way more fun to drive.

You're the one driving it and paying the bills. If you have the cash do what makes you happy. I sold a Passat Wagon with 4 Motion and 5-Speed to get the Rav. I wish I could have kept it but just didn't have the room in the driveway. The new Rav4 won over a daily driver with 200k miles. I miss the VW handling and feel.

The Rav is a great vehicle but is in a different category.

IMO you don't know what you want and must have the $$$$$ to live that way. Your big mistake was buying too new and too slow a RAV4. Should've gotten a V6 - available thru 2012. I really do miss a stick shift tho!

Anyway after you get your GTI stop by and I'll stay with you in my RAV4 V6. And if the road is a little wet I'll embarrass you.
Give the guy a break, he made a mistake. Lesson learned and he moves on.

Sure the V6 Rav4 is wicked fun to drive, especially in a straight line and in the wet/snow, but throw some twisties in to the equation, on a normal day when you can drive a little "sportier", and you'll be seeing taillights and a VW logo. :wink

1 - 12 of 12 Posts