Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has modified their RAVs for HP gain.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
kestrel55 said:
Just wondering if anyone has modified their RAVs for HP gain.
I haven't yet. I am waiting on K&N to come out with an air filter for the 2006, because that is the one thing that changed from the 2005, the air box and filter. I have always used K&N filters and have gotten much better throttle response in every vehicle I have used them in :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
modifications

Has anyone tried one of those "performance chips" that are advertised on Ebay? I think they were about $20.... sounds to good to be true!

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
was that 5-8 hp by seat o the pants or REAL dyno time?

Cause I operate a dyno all the time and have yet to see that kinda gain from such a cheap mod.. Trust me.. Its like the tornado. It lightens your wallet. Thats it..

franco90 said:
hey to each it own Nelson try it and he saids it gain 5-8 hp so to me I think is a scam

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Changing the air intake and exhaust is the best way to up your HP and sometimes Fuel economy, but not by allot, fuel wise I mean :wink:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know if the stock air filter for the V6 is the same as the Avalon's stock air filter? I know that they share the same engine, but I do not know if the air filter part number is the same. I ask this because I want to purchase a K&N drop in filter for my V6, and K&N's catalog does not list the RAV4 V6 filter yet. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

I'm dying for some more power in my RAV's V6... this thing is gutless!!!!

Lance

PS just kiddin about the gutless part..... haha.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lance said:
Does anyone know if the stock air filter for the V6 is the same as the Avalon's stock air filter? I know that they share the same engine, but I do not know if the air filter part number is the same. I ask this because I want to purchase a K&N drop in filter for my V6, and K&N's catalog does not list the RAV4 V6 filter yet. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

I'm dying for some more power in my RAV's V6... this thing is gutless!!!!

Lance

PS just kiddin about the gutless part..... haha.
I have contacted K&N about the I4 and they don't have one available. I did not ask about the V6, if the airbox looks the same then it will probably work. Even though the I4 is the same engine practically as the 2005, they did change the airbox, which is part of the reason for the 5 extra horses :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
So whats the story here? I was always under the assumption that aftermarket mods like intake and exhaust while adding power, lowered fuel economy. Is this not the case? I'd love to do a few simple clean mods to my RAV like air intake/filter/exhaust for better performance, but have not thought about it because I don't want to lower my fuel economy any.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FlyinGN is right. Increasing the airflow can sometimes increase your gas mileage and throttle response. :wink:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
There have been many studies out there that indicates that aftermarket air filter not only do not increase horespower but it offers less protection. The safest bet is to change the OEM air filter every year.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, you can read about it, or live it. I am saying from my own personal experience on many vehicles that I have owned that K&N filters DO increase throttle response, in every case. Do they decrease protection, I cannot say for sure, but I can tell you that I have never had an engine issue due to the fact that I used a non-oem air filter :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts