Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a new member. Happy with my 2014 Rav 4 FWD. The only think I really missing is the blind spot monitoring system. The current side mirrors are an inadequate option. Did anybody installed any of cheep afermarket system like those posted on Amazon?
Is it possible to install the two side cameras and looked at the existing radio display initiated with turn signals?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Inadequate? That is ridiculous lol. So when changing lanes or making turns you would rather look at your radio screen than out your mirrors or over your shoulder? You could add the mirrors from a 16-18 that have integrated blind spot mirrors. I've been driving over 30 years and I find side mirrors very adequate. Hell my first car only had a driver's side mirror and I still didn't hit anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are basically right, however Rav 4 is known as a blind spotter and an extra safety monitoring system is installed for XLE models etc.
On many occasion I couldn't see the side car crossing my back corners and that scares me.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I had a 2016 xle without blind spot monitoring and I lived lol. You can add sensors front and rear for the blind side or you could add cameras. Sooner or later that technology will fail and it will happen when you least expect it. Learn to use your mirrors and ALWAYS look over your shoulder when turning or changing lanes.You will be a safer driver I promise you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lectures aside..... BSM is an excellent SUPPLEMENTAL system to augment the proper use of our eyes either by way of the mirrors or by turning the head. In good weather and light road conditions, I'd rather use my eyes too. But in bad weather and very crowded fast moving traffic, sometimes you really do need more.

I've added a convex spot mirror to my old Subaru to increase my view, but just yesterday in NYC traffic I too wished for a supplemental aid! Both of our Toyota's have BSM, and it's a great safety aid.

The Toyota factory system uses radar modules in the rear bumper corners. Many of the aftermarket systems are ultrasonic, and the reviews are mixed.

I found this one on Amazon that does use 24ghz radar and thought it might be the ticket, but the reviews are abysmal...

·
Registered
333 Posts
I installed aftermarket BSM to my 2015 RAV4. It was not very easy since side mirror difference btw US version and Chinese version.

·
Registered
2013 RAV4 XLE Plus
62 Posts
I also added BSM to my '13, was not an easy task to say the least, I had to modify the harness that came with the kit to route the wires through the OEM harness and connectors. I bought a set of chinese power folding side mirrors, added BSM system and BSM indicator mirrors to the bundle. Not the best quality but they work. The aftermarket radar sensors have a delay on reaction, definitely don't beat the OEM. I added an OEM switch to turn the system off or on when ever I want to use it. I would definitely upgrade to OEM radar modules if I can find out how to wire them. But I would need to get my hands on a good used set. I would also like to upgrade the Chinese power folding mirrors with OEM European version.

BTW, I bought my kit from Ali Express, I will be happy to share the link if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2013 RAV4 XLE Plus
62 Posts
I would advise you to not get a wired system like czgu or I did, you're asking for trouble and wiring nightmare specially if you don't feel comfortable splicing, crimping or cutting wires, or you have someone install it for you ... if you absolutely have to have one then go with the wireless system like Fibber2 suggested, you may have to change batteries from time to time but is probably a better route than running wires to the back and to the mirrors. I do not know of any aftermarket that integrates with you head unit, Sounds even more sophisticated.

Cheers,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts