Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did a quick search, and there doesn't seem to be any after market intakes available for the 3rd gen RAV4's. I just bought a 2012 with the 2.5, and it uses the same basic air box design that my 2012 scion did. I've never cared for this air box. On my scion, it was hard to get the lid back on without bumping the air filter and moving it out of place, and the imprint that the air box lid (clean air side) left in the filter seal was always very close to the outer edge of the seal and I was always concerned about dust getting past there. It seems even worse in my RAV4. Not only does it seem to seal very close to the outer edge of the filter, but the lit does not seem to clamp very tight at all. Granted, I did try a fram replacement filter this time, the newer style with the plastic shell and foam seal, I always used toyota replacement air filters in the scion. I do have an AFE Pro Dry S filter from my scion, but it never sealed correctly in the scion, and I don't think it will in the RAV either. I could physically see dust getting past the sealing lip of the AFE filter, don't know if it was a manufacturing defect or what. Has anyone come up with a solution for replacing the air box? I'm not after more power, just better filtration.

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
If the top doesn't seal correctly on the base then use a Toyota filter that fits the box. I have an AFE filter and it seals just fine. Sounds like a filter or fitment problem to me. I know of no aftermarket setup that would fit or filter better. Odd that is seems just fine for everyone else.

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Check all around the filter box and make sure everything is lined up and seated correctly.....a minor misalignment could be easily overlooked and have the results you speak of...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I had the afe filter in my scion, I noticed dust getting past the seal on your the clean side. I took some grease and put a light coating on the ridge around the inside edge of the air box cover that seals to the air filter. Once I latched the cover and then removed it, there was only a few spots that seemed to make contact with the filter and left grease behind on the filter. Maybe when I get time, I'll try this again on the RAV4, see how well it actually fits this time around

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.