Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend is a happy 2004 (possibly 2005) RAV4 owner. He did not get the remote access option - apparently it was a $$$ bundled option.

Does there exist an after-market keyless remote access kit available?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I told my dealer I wanted keyless/alarm installed as part of the deal. Wasn't the OEM one but from a company called TDS. Works great and activates all the light/horn things a stock alarm would have.

Any good shop should be able to put an alarm in your car if you don't want to try yourself.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
VeroLAN said:
I told my dealer I wanted keyless/alarm installed as part of the deal. Wasn't the OEM one but from a company called TDS. Works great and activates all the light/horn things a stock alarm would have.

Any good shop should be able to put an alarm in your car if you don't want to try yourself.
I did the same thing with my recent purchase. The TDS (Theft Deterrent System) seems just as good as the OEM Toyota system. The TDS has a lot of features and optional settings. The dealer installer told me that the TDS system does not run through the vehicles ECM like the OEM version. I am not sure if that is a good thing or not. I also got a copy of the detailed install instructions specific to the RAV4. They are very complete down to pics and all. The install is a job and takes about 3-4 hours and that is if you know what you are doing.

I would recommend the TDS since it is apparently designed (instructions and hardware) for install on Toyotas.

·
Registered
214 Posts
billfriend said:
A friend is a happy 2004 (possibly 2005) RAV4 owner. He did not get the remote access option - apparently it was a $$$ bundled option.

Does there exist an after-market keyless remote access kit available?
The day I bought my RAV4, or maybe the day after, I was at BestBuy, getting one of their Viper car alarms with Keyless entry installed. around $200. Works like a champ. Funny thing was, the DEALER recommended it, because the stock item was $437 for parts only, then add another $150 for installation...

Wayne

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
nouse4aname said:
There are plenty of such kits. Can get them off ebay dirt cheap.
I haven't checked but I would tend to agree that there are probably several better systems out there than the oem version or dealer retro fit kit.

However, I do like the highly detailed install instructions and pics that come with the dealer versions (that I had to request a copy of) that are specific to the Toyota model. While I buy factory shop manuals for most of my vechicles, I haven't yet for the RAV4. Without a good set of specific instructions I think one could encounter a nightmare in installing and wiring a generic brand system. I was amazed at all the wiring under my RAV4's dash. What a snake pit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts