Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2015 LE and I want to install a remote starter, I understand that I need to install a bypass module i.e. Fortin EVO-ONE/ALL or iDataLink ADS-ALCA DL-TL9, what I dont understand is how do I match which remote starter fobs will work with these modules? how do I match which fob I should buy to work with either of these.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interesting question which will require a long answer.

First we shall restrict the discussion to the Fortin EVO-ALL and the iDatalink ADS AL-CA bypass modules. The Fortin EVO-ONE is a slightly different module.

A little history first. Aftermarket companies were making alarm systems and remote keyless entry systems for vehicles and saw a demand for remote starter systems. These remote starter systems have 3 basic variations.
1. Add-On Remote Start system
2. Remote Start with Keyless entry
3. Remote Start with Alarm and keyless entry
The early systems were for fuel injected vehicles with automatic transmissions. Later models supported vehicles with manual transmissions.

The Add-On system has no remotes and monitored the vehicles power locks for the signal to remote start. Typically three Locks within 5 seconds would initiate the remote start.
The other two systems came with remotes that also controlled the vehicles power door locks. The R/S with Alarm added a layer of vehicle security by monitoring the vehicles access points among other things.

Anyway, everything was swell except some vehicle manufacturers added an ignition immobilizer system. These systems required the remote starter systems to incorporate a way to temporarily bypass them during a remote start. These ignition immobilizer systems were manufacturer and sometimes model specific. A bypass module for a Ford PATS1 would not work on a Chevy with a Passlock2, etc. Early bypass modules did only the ignition immobilizer system bypass function. These bypass modules were connected to the vehicle and were controlled by the remote start system.
Later bypass modules became more "intelligent" and were designed to provide more features and functions. These newer bypass modules are connected to the vehicles computer systems via the data bus and can ( depending on the vehicle and bypass module ) control the locks, vehicle alarm, trunk release, etc. The EVO-ALL and the ADS AL-CA are the newer full function bypass modules.

Toyota has had 4 or 5 different immobilizer systems for key type ignition systems over the years. The system in use in the Rav4.4 is known as the H key. The 2 bypass modules, EVO-ALL and the ADS AL-CA, are both capable of bypassing the H key system when flashed with the correct firmware. The EVO-ALL needs HW Ver 6 and FW Ver 79.34. The ADS AL-CA needs (DL)-TL9 firmware.

The typical aftermarket system install for the Rav4.4 w/H key will require two modules. A remote start system like the number 2 or 3 systems mentioned above and a bypass module like the EVO-ALL or ADS AL-CA. So, your question is "which remote start system works with which bypass module". This answer is long also. A lot of this info is restricted to the 12V industry. It's there if you want to spend a bunch of time searching for it. Here is the short answer. Either bypass module can be setup to work with any quality major brand of remote starter. This can be accomplished a couple of ways.

The first way is called W2W or wire to wire. This method makes a hard wire connection between the bypass module and the remote start module for all necessary functions. The remote start systems outputs a signal called Unlock and that wire gets connected the bypass modules Unlock input wire, etc. Very straight forward but messy if not done properly.

The second method is called D2D or data to data. This is where the remote starter module communicates with the bypass module via a 4 wire harness. This method is very neat, no jumble of wires between the modules, but very specific as to the communication method used. Just like every vehicle manufacturer uses different immobilizer systems, Fortin, iDatalin and DEI use different D2D communication protocols.

At this point let me say that a professional 12V installer will know what remote start system will work with a given bypass module. Additionally, with the proper equipment ( Fortin FlashLink, ADS USB cable of DEI XKLoader2 ), the professional can flash a slightly different version of firmware onto the bypass module to enable it to work with a different brand of remote starter system. Here is an example :
The Compustar CS800-s system is a nice remote start with keyless entry unit. It will work well with an ADS AL-CA bypass module flashed with the standard ADS AL(DL)-TL9 firmware. If you wanted to switch to a Viper 4105V remote start system but use the ADS AL-CA bypass module, you would have to flash the ADS AL-CA with the DBI (AL)DL-TL9 firmware. The DBI firmware will allow the bypass module to communicate in D2D mode with the Viper remote start system. The Fortin EVO-ALL has similar capabilities that allow it to go D2D with Viper units.

Very confusing but to the 12V professional a basic fact of business. So, if you want to DIY, you should first choose the brand and model of remote start system you like that has the features you want. There are many choices here. Some people want a simple one-button system, others want two-way systems that will give command confirmation. Other people want a longer range due to where the vehicle is parked. The two systems mentioned above, CS800-s and 4105V, are similar in range and function, both come with 2 four button one-way remotes and have a 1,000 foot range. Prices are $50 and $70 respectively. Fancy systems with 1 mile range and two-way confirmation like the Viper 4706V get close to $200. My choice for my 2013 RAV4 XLE was a Compustar FT7200-s with the 1WG4-SS one-way remotes and the ADS AL-CA bypass module flashed with the ADS AL(DL)-TL9 firmware wired up in W2W mode. Solid system with one mile of range.

Sorry for the long answer. Hope this helps with your decisions and choices.

·
Registered
731 Posts
what about factory?

When we bought our 2010 RAV4 used , I investigated buying a remote start so my wife could get into a warm vehicle in the wintertime. As many of you know, I am a professional auto mechanic ASE Master L1. I have crawled under many dashes over the years and have seen a rat's nest of wires from aftermarket installations of alarms, remote starts and many other devices. None of them were done to my liking, most using ScotchLoks and butt connectors. A lot just twist wires and wrap with electrical tape.

Knowing the complexity of vehicles and how their electronics can be affected by aftermarket installations, aftermarket was out. I called a friend in the parts department of the Toyota dealer we use at the shop. If my wife's 2009 had push button start, Toyota makes a plug and play remote start. Since she has a key, that system will not work.

Perhaps the Toyota dealer has a factory remote start for your 2015?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

First we shall restrict the discussion to the Fortin EVO-ALL and the iDatalink ADS AL-CA bypass modules. The Fortin EVO-ONE is a slightly different module.

WOW! what a wealth of information in simple terms! Thanks for the great detailed answer, made it very clear for me what to do next, I am going remote starter shopping before i get either fortin/al-ca

Perhaps the Toyota dealer has a factory remote start for your 2015?
I did look into it, Toyota does offer a remote start but apparently the range sucks and kills the purpose of remote starting. price range is close to $500 here in canada which is actually more than the better after market systems available.

·
Registered
91 Posts

A little history first. Aftermarket companies were making alarm systems and remote keyless entry systems for vehicles and saw a demand for remote starter systems. These remote starter systems have 3 basic variations.
The early systems were for fuel injected vehicles with automatic transmissions. Later models supported vehicles with manual transmissions.

The Add-On system has no remotes and monitored the vehicles power locks for the signal to remote start. Typically three Locks within 5 seconds would initiate the remote start.
The other two systems came with remotes that also controlled the vehicles power door locks. The R/S with Alarm added a layer of vehicle security by monitoring the vehicles access points among other things.

Anyway, everything was swell except some vehicle manufacturers added an ignition immobilizer system. These systems required the remote starter systems to incorporate a way to temporarily bypass them during a remote start. These ignition immobilizer systems were manufacturer and sometimes model specific. A bypass module for a Ford PATS1 would not work on a Chevy with a Passlock2, etc. Early bypass modules did only the ignition immobilizer system bypass function. These bypass modules were connected to the vehicle and were controlled by the remote start system.
Later bypass modules became more "intelligent" and were designed to provide more features and functions. These newer bypass modules are connected to the vehicles computer systems via the data bus and can ( depending on the vehicle and bypass module ) control the locks, vehicle alarm, trunk release, etc. The EVO-ALL and the ADS AL-CA are the newer full function bypass modules.

Toyota has had 4 or 5 different immobilizer systems for key type ignition systems over the years. The system in use in the Rav4.4 is known as the H key. The 2 bypass modules, EVO-ALL and the ADS AL-CA, are both capable of bypassing the H key system when flashed with the correct firmware. The EVO-ALL needs HW Ver 6 and FW Ver 79.34. The ADS AL-CA needs (DL)-TL9 firmware.

The typical aftermarket system install for the Rav4.4 w/H key will require two modules. A remote start system like the number 2 or 3 systems mentioned above and a bypass module like the EVO-ALL or ADS AL-CA. So, your question is "which remote start system works with which bypass module". This answer is long also. A lot of this info is restricted to the 12V industry. It's there if you want to spend a bunch of time searching for it. Here is the short answer. Either bypass module can be setup to work with any quality major brand of remote starter. This can be accomplished a couple of ways.

The first way is called W2W or wire to wire. This method makes a hard wire connection between the bypass module and the remote start module for all necessary functions. The remote start systems outputs a signal called Unlock and that wire gets connected the bypass modules Unlock input wire, etc. Very straight forward but messy if not done properly.

The second method is called D2D or data to data. This is where the remote starter module communicates with the bypass module via a 4 wire harness. This method is very neat, no jumble of wires between the modules, but very specific as to the communication method used. Just like every vehicle manufacturer uses different immobilizer systems, Fortin, iDatalin and DEI use different D2D communication protocols.

At this point let me say that a professional 12V installer will know what remote start system will work with a given bypass module. Additionally, with the proper equipment ( Fortin FlashLink, ADS USB cable of DEI XKLoader2 ), the professional can flash a slightly different version of firmware onto the bypass module to enable it to work with a different brand of remote starter system. Here is an example :
The Compustar CS800-s system is a nice remote start with keyless entry unit. It will work well with an ADS AL-CA bypass module flashed with the standard ADS AL(DL)-TL9 firmware. If you wanted to switch to a Viper 4105V remote start system but use the ADS AL-CA bypass module, you would have to flash the ADS AL-CA with the DBI (AL)DL-TL9 firmware. The DBI firmware will allow the bypass module to communicate in D2D mode with the Viper remote start system. The Fortin EVO-ALL has similar capabilities that allow it to go D2D with Viper units.

Very confusing but to the 12V professional a basic fact of business. So, if you want to DIY, you should first choose the brand and model of remote start system you like that has the features you want. There are many choices here. Some people want a simple one-button system, others want two-way systems that will give command confirmation. Other people want a longer range due to where the vehicle is parked. The two systems mentioned above, CS800-s and 4105V, are similar in range and function, both come with 2 four button one-way remotes and have a 1,000 foot range. Prices are $50 and $70 respectively. Fancy systems with 1 mile range and two-way confirmation like the Viper 4706V get close to $200. My choice for my 2013 RAV4 XLE was a Compustar FT7200-s with the 1WG4-SS one-way remotes and the ADS AL-CA bypass module flashed with the ADS AL(DL)-TL9 firmware wired up in W2W mode. Solid system with one mile of range.

This is a great write-up on remote start system.
I should have read this thread before I purchase EVO-One...
But I already installed EVO-One and all works well except SRS light comes on with remote startert kit.

I will appreciate if anybody could advise me why and what I have to address this issue.

I have installed remote starter kit on Rav4 2014 LE AWD about 3 weeks ago and
Remote starting works well but SRS lights turns on so I scanned and found out
there is faulty code of B1650 and B1660, After I removed the tie that I used at steering wheel, code B1650 has bee gone, but B1660 is still there.

One thing that I don't understand is that there is no SRS light on when car starts with regular key!
In manual, there is a connection diagram with #6 , stating that #6 wire (under Passenger lower pannel) is not necessary to install as it controls TPMS and allows driver to use OEM Key FOB,
so in other words, in my best assumption, if aftermarket FOB is bought and used, then #6 wire doesn't need to be tabbed, which won't turn on SRS light on?

Please give me an idea about this symptom, even better with recommendation on which aftermarket FOB I should buy to use remote start feature without SRS lights on, If anybody already installed EVO one or all.

Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
91 Posts

But I already installed EVO-One and all works well except SRS light comes on with remote startert kit.

I will appreciate if anybody could advise me why and what I have to address this issue.

there is faulty code of B1650 and B1660, After I removed the tie that I used at steering wheel, code B1650 has bee gone, but B1660 is still there.

One thing that I don't understand is that there is no SRS light on when car starts with regular key!
In manual, there is a connection diagram with #6 , stating that #6 wire (under Passenger lower pannel) is not necessary to install as it controls TPMS and allows driver to use OEM Key FOB,
so in other words, in my best assumption, if aftermarket FOB is bought and used, then #6 wire doesn't need to be tabbed, which won't turn on SRS light on?

Please give me an idea about this symptom, If anybody already installed EVO one or all.

Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
60 Posts

Please give me an idea about this symptom, If anybody already installed EVO one or all.

Thank you in advance!!
Hey, did you try redoing the module programming yet? And setting it to C1 instead of D2?

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey, did you try redoing the module programming yet? And setting it to C1 instead of D2?
I think I did both of C1 and D2. Are you telling me that I have to set it to just C1 or Just D2?
Please tell me how I have to set it up, then I will do it.
All I need is correct setting which doesn't show SRS light on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think I did both of C1 and D2. Are you telling me that I have to set it to just C1 or Just D2?
Please tell me how I have to set it up, then I will do it.
All I need is correct setting which doesn't show SRS light on.
Edit to prioritize this

Looking back at your original thread, you don't mention connecting the ignition (+) switch from the harness to A1 on the module....did you do this? You said...
6. Connect T-harness - it is the easiest part of installation ..
But never mentioned that you cut the Pink wire to wire it to A1 in the module....see pic attached. Hint came from HERE

Lol you're responding in 3 different places, you would get better responses if you stuck to 1. It's hard for people to help troubleshoot if you respond in different places.

As I mentioned in your original thread - Try only setting it to C1. It seems like the easiest test. If that doesn't help, try what the below fella mentioned in a response in a different thread as that seemed like another popular solution. If you did both, it is probably in D2 as that was the second in line if you did it in the order of the instructions.

Have you tried connecting the second accessory wire?

[url=http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204248]Air bag light after remote start - SaturnFans.com Forums
[/URL]

:) PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO ADD PICTURES TO YOUR ORIGINAL THREAD AS PEOPLE LIKE TO SEE THOSE :)

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Edit to prioritize this

Looking back at your original thread, you don't mention connecting the ignition (+) switch from the harness to A1 on the module....did you do this? You said...

But never mentioned that you cut the Pink wire to wire it to A1 in the module....see pic attached. Hint came from HERE

Lol you're responding in 3 different places, you would get better responses if you stuck to 1. It's hard for people to help troubleshoot if you respond in different places.

As I mentioned in your original thread - Try only setting it to C1. It seems like the easiest test. If that doesn't help, try what the below fella mentioned in a response in a different thread as that seemed like another popular solution. If you did both, it is probably in D2 as that was the second in line if you did it in the order of the instructions.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/278946-why-srs-airbag-light-when-starts-remote.html#post2542098

:) PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO ADD PICTURES TO YOUR ORIGINAL THREAD AS PEOPLE LIKE TO SEE THOSE :)

Yes, I connected Yellow wire(A1) to Pink (If I didn't do this, remote won't even start).
The only thing that I did differently was D2. I did C1 and D2.
I will take D2 off from programming. By the way, 2014 LE AWD doesn't have OEM alarm?
I thought it has OEM alarm as if I opened door improperly, then alarm goes off.
But anyway, I will try only C1.

Thank you very much! But I still can't upload my photos (I will try to create Album this time, But not whole lot of photos as it was so cold in my garage, only several and general photos)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm not aware of Toyota actually having their own autostarts. I believe they use 3rd party auto starts, either install themselves at the dealership or farm it out. My local dealer uses Compustar autostarts.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, I connected Yellow wire(A1) to Pink (If I didn't do this, remote won't even start).
The only thing that I did differently was D2. I did C1 and D2.
I will take D2 off from programming. By the way, 2014 LE AWD doesn't have OEM alarm?
I thought it has OEM alarm as if I opened door improperly, then alarm goes off.
But anyway, I will try only C1.

Thank you very much! But I still can't upload my photos (I will try to create Album this time, But not whole lot of photos as it was so cold in my garage, only several and general photos)

It has been almost a week to figure out SRS airbag light.
Problem was from harness output sequence
I chose White cable as a Start and Orange cable as a Ignition2
but found out that White cable should be Ignition 2 and Orange be Accessory.
--> I believe this is option 2 at firmware Link software.
After changing, SRS light was gone but TPMS light was on...but
TPMS light stays lit until Hkey is put in and which is normal for this remote starter system.

All problem has been solved and remote start works well.
Still can't upload photo but will add an album soon....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I removed one album but it still didn't increase my available space for photo update, so had to create another ID and now I am uploading photos.
These photos are nothing new but anybody can do this project as long as he or she has time and simple tool, scissor, electrical tape, knife and wire crimper (I will solder some connection later once it gets warmer) . I am not an engineer, just supply chain, loggy.
I have never done this before and made some trial and error but Youtube video definitely help (I think it was Tundra EVO one installation). As long as Wire Prep is complete, installation itself was quite simple as I mentioned earlier.
My problem was SRS airbag light on later, but that was solved by adjusting Harness output sequence.
I chose white cable as a Start and orange cable as a Ignition2
but found out that white cable should be Ignition 2 and orange be Accessory.
Once everything is installed properly, You will see TPMS light on until Hkey is put in and brake is engaged, which is NORMAL for Rav4 (mine is 2014 LE AWD, not push start).
With OEM key, Rav4 Engine can stop as well...which I believe is fantastic. Not all vehicles support this but Rav4, Yes. If anybody buys RF Kit, then I don't think you need to touch Number 6 (Blue 20 pin Connector).

Latest bypass firmware will be 79.45, not 39 (as attached), just update it using flashlink updater (I had to return first purchase with deficiency and bought another one, which worked well).

One more thing, I found out that T harness both of Toy8 and Toy3 are now recommended for Rav4, (I used Toy3 Harness, much cheaper, about $28). Toy8 will help you save about 2 connect wire set up, I guess. But you have to be aware that T harness will get bigger, hard to fit in Steering Wheel box later. Toy3 Harness is very compact so easier to work with sizewise.

I know attached photos are nothing new, but installation guide will definitely help you from manufacturer. You will be successful in installing the kit as long as you follow the guide thoroughly. Good luck!

My appreciation to YellowFellow, Kreg357, C7aea, Junebug, Rick and others who posted different types of Remote starter kit including Youtube video.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts