Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This system is giving me fits. I have had it to a dealer to see if it could be removed and was told it is all individually wired and will cost me $1500 and another $500 to fix the driver's door lock because sometimes it opens and sometimes it doesn't. It is starting to arm itself all by itself without my doing anything to it. I would like to have it completely removed from the car and I'll just use my key. Every now and then, even if I have the little red button pushed in to deactivate it, I can open the driver's door to get in and the alarm will sound. I'm an old woman and I don't trust it at all anymore. Can I just go to a place that deals in car alarms and have it removed completely and not have to go to a dealer that charges a fortune and maybe it's not all individually wired like they say it is.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
This system is giving me fits. I have had it to a dealer to see if it could be removed and was told it is all individually wired and will cost me $1500 and another $500 to fix the driver's door lock because sometimes it opens and sometimes it doesn't. It is starting to arm itself all by itself without my doing anything to it. I would like to have it completely removed from the car and I'll just use my key. Every now and then, even if I have the little red button pushed in to deactivate it, I can open the driver's door to get in and the alarm will sound. I'm an old woman and I don't trust it at all anymore. Can I just go to a place that deals in car alarms and have it removed completely and not have to go to a dealer that charges a fortune and maybe it's not all individually wired like they say it is.
Do you know which brand and model your AFTERMARKET ALARM IS . You may be able to put in VALET mode so its turned off... Are you looking to get another one installed or this one just removed? 1500 is crazy.. Dont let them rip you off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after market theft deterrent system

The model number on the key fob is ELVAT5G. It's the one that has the red button, black button and green button. I have it in valet mode now but I just want it taken out completely if at all possible. Could I have something else installed for security purposes? Does the fact that the door lock on the driver's door doesn't always activate have anything to do with this system? Are they tied in together? When I turn the ignition off, sometimes the door will unlock - sometimes not. Then I have to flip the door lock manually to open the door.
When I questioned the tech at the dealer about that, that's when he said it would be $500 to take the door panel off and fix the lock. I just wondered if the door lock and the theft system are tied in together.
The other day when I had the driver's door open for awhile and the alarm system was in active mode, out of the blue the alarm went off. Why did that happen? I just don't trust the darn thing anymore. It's just like something has gone haywire in the system and I never know when it may go off some day and I can't get it deactivated.
At first, the tech said that some of these were just hooked up to the battery and it would be a simple thing but then after they looked at it, I was told it was all individually wired. My son thought maybe there was a fuse that could be pulled or take it to someone that does security systems and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The model number on the key fob is ELVAT5G. It's the one that has the red button, black button and green button. I have it in valet mode now but I just want it taken out completely if at all possible. Could I have something else installed for security purposes? Does the fact that the door lock on the driver's door doesn't always activate have anything to do with this system? Are they tied in together? When I turn the ignition off, sometimes the door will unlock - sometimes not. Then I have to flip the door lock manually to open the door.
When I questioned the tech at the dealer about that, that's when he said it would be $500 to take the door panel off and fix the lock. I just wondered if the door lock and the theft system are tied in together.
The other day when I had the driver's door open for awhile and the alarm system was in active mode, out of the blue the alarm went off. Why did that happen? I just don't trust the darn thing anymore. It's just like something has gone haywire in the system and I never know when it may go off some day and I can't get it deactivated.
At first, the tech said that some of these were just hooked up to the battery and it would be a simple thing but then after they looked at it, I was told it was all individually wired. My son thought maybe there was a fuse that could be pulled or take it to someone that does security systems and see what they have to say.
If the alarm hasn't gone off when you have it valet mode, Why would you want to remove it? Sometimes if your battery is getting weak the alarm might go off by itself. How long have you had the battery? First thing I would do is have your son take it to your local auto parts store ( in my area I use Advance auto). Most will check it for free. The door locking may be due to a bad DOOR LOCK ACTUATOR. Is it only one door or does it happen with all off them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
theft deterrent system

The battery is good. I just put a new one in. So--as long as I keep it in valet mode, I can just use my key to lock and unlock the car? The tech at the dealer told me to just take the key fob off my ring just in case I should happen to hit the button and activate it. There's no chance that if I keep it in valet mode and take the fob off and I'm out somewhere that the alarm could activate? That's what scares me. What would happen if I did that and used my key to unlock the door and out of the blue the darn alarm sounded. No chance of that happening? That's why I just want it gone. Can you tell I'm a pessimist? You still take the chance of hitting that little red button and activating the alarm by mistake and I don't have any way to shut it off if I don't have the fob on my key chain.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The battery is good. I just put a new one in. So--as long as I keep it in valet mode, I can just use my key to lock and unlock the car? The tech at the dealer told me to just take the key fob off my ring just in case I should happen to hit the button and activate it. There's no chance that if I keep it in valet mode and take the fob off and I'm out somewhere that the alarm could activate? That's what scares me. What would happen if I did that and used my key to unlock the door and out of the blue the darn alarm sounded. No chance of that happening? That's why I just want it gone. Can you tell I'm a pessimist? You still take the chance of hitting that little red button and activating the alarm by mistake and I don't have any way to shut it off if I don't have the fob on my key chain.
Did the alarm start going off by itself BEFORE you got the battery changed? If so maybe that was causing your problem. You shouln't have a problem as long as its in valet mode However, you could always keep the fob in your purse (put it in a little plastic box so nothing can press the buttons) or glove box just to make sure. If you REALLY need to removed you can take it to a place that does remote starters and tell them to shut it off.. Personally I would just leave it like it is and see if the problem goes away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts