Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

After Market Tires Rims Pls help....

3K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  IloveZenyatta 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 Rav4 White 2dr
I want to add after market rims and tires
Can I go with 235-50-18 without any adjustments or whatever?
I want the wheel well to look full but a little wide...I'm not sure about this.
I need all the RAV4 experts and I know your reading this :)
Please send Pics if you have a Rav4 on 18s. Please advise if necessary...

#2 ·
That tire (may vary slightly by brand and tire type) specs are as follows(the other sizes I added are stock RAV4, the 235-60-16 were optional):

TIRE SIZE.....TIRE WT.....RIM WIDTH.....RIM WIDTH.....SECT. WIDTH.....TREAD WIDTH.....OVERALL DIAM.....REVS PER MILE
235-50-18......30 lbs.........6.5-8.5".............7.5".................9.7"..................8.8".....................27.2"..................762
235-60-16......22 lbs.........6.5-8.5".............7.0".................9.4"..................8.0".....................27.0"..................769
215-70-16......28 lbs.........5.5-7.0".............6.5".................8.7"..................7.0".....................27.9"..................746

I think it would work without a problem depending on your rim offset. I think it would look pretty kool as well!

If you go this way let me know how it works out I have a thread at http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-...what-size-tires-what-issues-have-you-had.html and I would appreciate you posting your results there for everyone's info.

#3 ·
I didn't fully list the rim width on the chart, the first rim width is the range of widths that the tire can be mounted on, the second one is the optimum rim width for a particular tire. Below is an amended chart.

TIRE.............TIRE WT.....RIM WIDTH.....MEASURED RIM.....SECT...............TREAD........OVERALL......REVOLUTIONS
SIZE................................RANGE............WIDTH.............WIDTH.............WIDTH......DIAMETER.........PER MILE
235-50-18......30 lbs.........6.5-8.5".............7.5".................9.7"..................8.8".........27.2"..................762
235-60-16......22 lbs.........6.5-8.5".............7.0".................9.4"..................8.0".........27.0"..................769
215-70-16......28 lbs.........5.5-7.0".............6.5".................8.7"..................7.0".........27.9"..................746

#4 ·
Thanks for your response, however I do understand a little.
I did purchase some 18 inch rims I pick them up today, now I have to figure out the tire size...
Not sure if 235 50 18 will look ok but that is the requirement for 18s, and I will post pics and tell you what I
think of the new look and how it rides...still any suggestions are welcome..
K...

#6 ·
I don't understand the rim offset requirements. I do know the tire size that is required for 18 inch rims for 1997 rav4.
So when you say offset, does that mean the 235 50 18 may rub or something if the tire size is not correct?
Please explain, and I really appreciate your help, Thx :) K

#10 ·
The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types, (measured in millimeters). ref tirerack.com
Zero Offset - The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.
Positive - The hub mounting surface is located in the front half of the wheel closer to the wheel face.
Negative - The hub mounting surface is located in the back half of the wheel closer to the back lip flange.

For more detailed information see - https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101

And see "The Right Fit is More Than Just Diameter" - https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=103

And one other thing to know is "How We Know What Fits" - https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=95

My wheels are 16X7.5 5114 ET40 AR RAZOR
- 16 is the wheel diameter
- 7.5 is the width
- 5114 is the bolt pattern - It would actually be 5 x 4.50 or in metric 5 x 114.3
- ET40 is the offset - The term ET originates from the German word 'Einpresstiefe' which translates as 'insertion depth'. So my rims are positive 40mm offset
- AR Razor is the make and model of my rim
- Centerbore - 60.1mm - Is one other crucial measurement that is not listed here which would be the diameter of the hole in the center of the wheel. The centerbore may be larger but centering rings should be used.

I hope all this helps.

#8 ·
That picture is called an avatar. You can upload an avatar in your user profile page.

#11 ·
So from the above, if your wheel offset is wrong it could cause the wheel to contact the brake rotor or other suspension components. It can also cause the wheel to stick way out of the wheel wells. The wrong offset will also cause more stress on suspension components and wheel bearings, spacer can cause the same issues.

If the centerbore is too small the wheel won't fit, if too large (not a real problem) then you should use centering rings.

If the bolt pattern is wrong it won't fit.

The wheel must be the proper diameter and width for the tires being used.

#13 ·
Ok....so now that I have my 18 inch rims, I see another Rav4 with 255-50-17s and that's exactly how I want mine to look.
He is on Rav4world, the name is Corrupt_Files...a Red Rav4. Nice....
So my question is with the 18 inch rims, what tire size is equal to or close to 255-50-17s.
I'm thinking 235-50-18s my original plan? I was told 225-55-18s by a co-worker, I don't know about the 225 they wont give me that wide look that I would like to have....Thanks for your patience :)

#14 ·
Here are some examples, I would suggest you go to tire rack.com and search for tires by size if you want to explore all the options.

TIRE.............TIRE WT.....RIM WIDTH.....MEASURED RIM.....SECT...............TREAD........OVERALL... ...REVOLUTIONS
SIZE................................RANGE.............WIDTH.............WIDTH.............WIDTH...... DIAMETER.........PER MILE
255-50-17......31 lbs.........7.0-9.0".............8.0"...............10.3"...................8.8".........27.1"..................767
235-50-18......30 lbs.........6.5-8.5".............7.5".................9.7"...................8.8".........27.2"..................762
255-45-18......34 lbs.........9.5-11.0"..........10.0"...............11.5"..................9.9" .........28.5"..................729

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.