Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new RAV4 Limited, and the dealer told me that if I bought/installed an aftermarket alarm system through a third party, it would void the electrical/electronic component of the Toyota warranty. In other words, I was talked into buying the alarm from the dealer (and it's not even a Toyota alarm, it's a Pursuit). I'm tempted to get my money back because it's not installed, yet but need to know if the warrany claim is just a complete hoax.

Does anyone know?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The other side of the coin is that the CanBus electronic systems that are fitted to modern vehicles do not take kindly to folk snipping at their wires to install stuff, so if you do go for an aftermarket system, make sure that the installer knows EXACTLY what he is doing. Chances are that the system that your dealer intends to fit, although not genuine Toyota is designed specifically for the car, so if you can get the same kit, then there should be no problem.

Personally, I see no point to alarms as no one pays any attention to them anyway, unless the thief actually has the keys to your vehicle, the car is undrivable anyway and the only realistic way to steal your car is to lift it on to a loader

·
Registered
652 Posts
Oil Burner said:
Personally, I see no point to alarms as no one pays any attention to them anyway, unless the thief actually has the keys to your vehicle, the car is undrivable anyway and the only realistic way to steal your car is to lift it on to a loader
Have you ever had a car stolen? I have. There is actually no reason not to get an alarm. If it helps or doesn't help, it doesn't cost anything. The reduced premium on insurance pays for the extra cost of the alarm.

·
Registered
379 Posts
syadasti is absolutely CORRECT! The burden of proof is on the dealer not you. He can not arbitrailly deny warrenty work on your car based solely on aftermarket products. He does have some recourse though. Read the M&M Act.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Leena,

If it is not installed, you might at least try to negotiate the price down by threatening to cancel the install. If nothing else, you might save a little coin.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
If the electrical system fails due to the alarm itself or its installation, then it would not be covered under warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts