Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide whether or not to try a set of aftermarket alloys on my 15LE AWD Upgrade PX here in Canada. The dealer sells a set of four AWC T069 17 inch alloys. Very nice looking wheels. A little pricey but he says they work well with the RAV. Doing a little research online and it seems the issue that can come up is the lug-centric vs hub-centric thing. I know the OEM alloys that come standard on the XLE and Limited will automatically be hub-centric as they're designed specifically for the hub, but OEM alloys are very expensive and not easy to find in Canada. The dealer indicated that the AWC's were perfect for the RAV but knowing Murphy's Law, I'll take the first drive down the highway, feel some vibration and get into the whole hub-centric spacer thing and have it turn into a nightmare after spending lots of $.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what aftermarket alloys worked well with your 4.4 RAV and any details as to if hub-centric spacers were needed/used? Any unresolved vibration issues after installation of aftermarkets?

If you chose to just mount and re-mount your all-seasons/snows on the same rims has that gone OK? I.e., no issues of tire or wheel damage with multiple mounts/re-mounts?

Currently I have the standard Michelin Latitude 65R17 OEM all-season tires that came with the RAV unmounted in storage. I have X-Ice 2's currently mounted on the OEM steel wheels and need to make a decision as to how I'm going to go--keep the X-Ices on the steelies and get the aftermarket alloys for the all-seasons, or just do the standard re-mounting and put the decision off til a later date. Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

Has anyone done aftermarket alloys on their 4.4 LE?

I'm getting a real education on hub-centric vs. lug-centric. It seems the RAVs all have a 60.1mm center bore (CB) and if you buy any type of aftermarket wheel, you're going to probably be dealing with a larger diameter CB which may necessitate a spacer or some folks say don't worry about it as long as it is carefully centered. Just would rather not deal with highway vibration from a non hub-centric wheel visa vi the vagaries of installation skill. Plus the extra stability and solidness of the wheel with hub-centric connection. These factory OEM steelies are ugly and boring but they're stable and I'm just considering ordering another set w/o covers and putting the snows on them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not on the 4th gen RAV4 - but on my other Toyotas. All of them are similar - the OEM wheels fit snuggly around the center bore (hub-centric) like most cars out there in the market. You can get aftermarket alloy wheels with a hub-centric insert - looks like a ring made of a special plastic or machined from aluminum. All the aftermarket wheels I've ordered came with these rings. Just had to tell the vendor which car they were intended for and they got the appropriate inserts for me. So vibration and fitment were never an issue. Some of these alloys used a very narrow or highly recessed lugs - so they used special "tuner" lugnuts that you had to use a special key with (looks like a deep wall socket). Other than that - zero issues with vibration or stability. May be different depending on the region / market - I know on some specialty alloys (ie, hard to find, reproductions, premium name, etc.) - they may not have hub-centric rings available to them. Running without hub-centric rings might be OK for a street car on very smooth roads - but as soon as you put more vertical stress on the wheel (potholes, off-roading, etc.) - which runs perpendicular to the fastener's clamping force - I could see where this would cause those vibrations / wheel issues. For snow tires - I prefer going with steelies over alloys. Just in case the car gets away from you, steel wheels can take more punishment than a comparable alloy. Lower costs / almost zero maintenance means that if a steel wheel gets messed up, just replace it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts