Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Rav4 XLE Hybrid--Magnetic Gray Metallic
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone installed a good quality aftermarket ambient lighting set-up in their car? I"m looking for suggestions/tips. Ideally, I'd like to go with a 6 piece LED set-up and place the strips in the following locations but I'd be ok with the standard 4 strip setup.

1. Drivers footwell
2. Passenger footwell
3. Below drivers seat
4. Below passengers seat
5. Open storage cubby in the dash in-front of passenger seat
6. Cargo area (this one would probably be hard since I don't think the cables are typically long enough to reach back there.

My top choice right now is the OPT7 kit from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Aura-Bluetooth-Smart-Color-Kit/dp/B07NSMVT4S/ref=sr_1_15?crid=2DN7A2YKVPSQS&keywords=ambient+lighting+car+interior&qid=1585375322&sprefix=ambient+interior,aps,146&sr=8-15&th=1

I guess what I'm really asking is recommendations on how to cleanly install this in the Rav4. I want to be able to hide all the wires, and do a clean install.

Any photos or videos of your clean install will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I followed the following youtube tutorial and was able to install lighting within the center and passenger cubby. I just bought LED strips with adhesive on the back. The tutorial shows you how to hide the wires within the center console. They are tied into if footwell lighting if your vehicle is equipped. The benefit is that it dims with the other lighting when you exit the vehicle or unlock the car.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wonder if there would be a way to link that lighting system to a replacement window switche to have the lights come on and off for them too. I know that's been an issue for a lot of people trying that mod.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
View attachment 151750

This is my current aftermarket setup, hardwired into the OEM footwell ambient lighting circuit. Lights will dim when shifted into Drive, and the get brighter when shifted back into Park.
This looks great, do you mind sharing some details on how you connected the 3 LED lights, and how you ran the wiring?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try get a few photos after work, and give a few details on wiring routes and where I've connected into the OEM harness.
Thanks, looking forward to any advise you can share. I like your set-up and I hope to replicate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In each footwell there is a plastic panel which just un clips and drops down (this panel has the small LED for the footwell lighting)
Once this is done you can access the wires which power the ambient lighting, I just stripped the coating back off each wire (without cutting them in half) and just tested which was positive and which was negative. From there I just routed my Wiring the best I could in a hidden fashion.

I hope this info helps for now, if you want more info feel free to ask or if there's specific photos you'd like me to take of my setup.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 151750

This is my current aftermarket setup, hardwired into the OEM footwell ambient lighting circuit. Lights will dim when shifted into Drive, and the get brighter when shifted back into Park.
Do you have a link to where I can buy these lights? Hopefully, they make them in white color.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
View attachment 151750

1. How did you run the LED light wiring for the driver and passengers cubby? (Those are the two spots I'd like to add LED lighting to.)
  2. Which footwell harness did you tap into? Drivers or passengers?
  3. How did you run the LED light wiring behind the dash? Is there space in any particular part of the dash that you recommend for running the wiring?
Also, I don't have electrical experience, can you explain how you spliced into the footwell lighting harness? i.e. How do you do it, step-by-step. I'm assuming you have to splice open two wires on the footwell light harness, and then connect the two ends of the wire from the LED light, into the appropriate wires on the harness?

Thank You.

·
Registered
22 Posts
  1. How did you run the LED light wiring for the driver and passengers cubby? (Those are the two spots I'd like to add LED lighting to.)
  2. Which footwell harness did you tap into? Drivers or passengers?
  3. How did you run the LED light wiring behind the dash? Is there space in any particular part of the dash that you recommend for running the wiring?
Also, I don't have electrical experience, can you explain how you spliced into the footwell lighting harness? i.e. How do you do it, step-by-step. I'm assuming you have to splice open two wires on the footwell light harness, and then connect the two ends of the wire from the LED light, into the appropriate wires on the harness?

Thank You.

There's a link to a YouTube video posted in this thread which shows most of the information you're after. I'll try to remember to take some photos of how I ran the wires into each cubby

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I followed the following youtube tutorial and was able to install lighting within the center and passenger cubby. I just bought LED strips with adhesive on the back. The tutorial shows you how to hide the wires within the center console. They are tied into if footwell lighting if your vehicle is equipped. The benefit is that it dims with the other lighting when you exit the vehicle or unlock the car.

I have zero experience with car electrical. How did you connect the two LED strips? Do you just match the colors (i.e. Red to Red, and Black to black) of the two wires, and then do the same with the footwell light? I didn't recall seeing that part addressed in this video which I've watching many times. Also, how is the wiring run? I don't see any wholes in these cubbies to pass the wire through.

Can someone recommend some youtube videos, where I can learn more specifically on how to splice and join car electrical wires? I think it would be helpful for me to educate myself a bit more before tapping into any electrical wires on the car. I'm starting to read up on T-taps ( I believe that's what there called) and that seems pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 AWD XLE
126 Posts
6. Cargo area (this one would probably be hard since I don't think the cables are typically long enough to reach back there.
A way to do this would be to tap into the light that is in the cargo area. It might be a challenge to run the wires tho. Im not 100%s sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 AWD XLE
126 Posts
So I have a question. My Rav doesn't have foot well lights, I would love to add them.
Is the wiring there? or will I have to run it myself?

if so, is the interior set up to take the lights? or will I have to completely figure this out for myself?

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
229 Posts
So I have a question. My Rav doesn't have foot well lights, I would love to add them.
Is the wiring there? or will I have to run it myself?

if so, is the interior set up to take the lights? or will I have to completely figure this out for myself?
It appears currently all Ravs have the cutouts for the footwell lights in the trim, but it is hit or miss if the wiring is there, and if you have the wiring it is not guaranteed to carry voltage.

On mine I have the wiring in place for the footwells, center console tray and drivers side dash cubby. None of the wiring has voltage even though they are enabled in software.

I ended up just fuse tapping my center console tray OEM light to the Power Outlet 1 fuse. That was the main thing I was after since it can be hard to see down there at night. Works great, just doesn’t dim when in motion, but it’s not very bright to begin with and doesn’t cause any distraction at night. Perfectly matches the blue button glow.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 AWD XLE
126 Posts
It appears currently all Ravs have the cutouts for the footwell lights in the trim, but it is hit or miss if the wiring is there, and if you have the wiring it is not guaranteed to carry voltage.

On mine I have the wiring in place for the footwells, center console tray and drivers side dash cubby. None of the wiring has voltage even though they are enabled in software.

I ended up just fuse tapping my center console tray OEM light to the Power Outlet 1 fuse. That was the main thing I was after since it can be hard to see down there at night. Works great, just doesn’t dim when in motion, but it’s not very bright to begin with and doesn’t cause any distraction at night. Perfectly matches the blue button glow.
Im curious if you could get the voltage to those wires. could it be as simple as putting the fuse in where it would normally go? or just making a connection some where?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts