Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD - Blizzard Pearl/Black
233 Posts
Im curious if you could get the voltage to those wires. could it be as simple as putting the fuse in where it would normally go? or just making a connection some where?

I spent an entire weekend recently tearing apart my dash and tracing wires. I even pulled out the ECU and verified everything was pinned out and wired correctly. Everything is installed that should be and turned on in Techstream, it just seems the ECU has some kind of logic that disables features that shouldn’t be on certain trims or if it detects certain things missing. Either by VIN or some other method. Probably some kind of fuel saving strategy. No one knows for sure.

Folks that have the XLE Premium with heated seats claim their wiring works and are able to install the lights. They also work in the XLE Hybrid. Seems the LE and XLE are just out of luck.

You can read more in the footwell lights thread in the 4.5 Interior Forum.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 AWD XLE
126 Posts
I spent an entire weekend recently tearing apart my dash and tracing wires. I even pulled out the ECU and verified everything was pinned out and wired correctly. Everything is installed that should be and turned on in Techstream, it just seems the ECU has some kind of logic that disables features that shouldn’t be on certain trims or if it detects certain things missing. Either by VIN or some other method. Probably some kind of fuel saving strategy. No one knows for sure.

Folks that have the XLE Premium with heated seats claim their wiring works and are able to install the lights. They also work in the XLE Hybrid. Seems the LE and XLE are just out of luck.

You can read more in the footwell lights thread in the 4.5 Interior Forum.
Ok thank you for that information. Ill probably just do the wiring from scratch then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So everyone would have seen my after market interior ambient lighting install in the 3 spots as above ^ and i chose to go with blue to match the OEM footwell lighting. I've decided that I needed a change to match the interior orange accents of the EDGE/Adventure...Would love to hear some feedback if others like this colour.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE
41 Posts
View attachment 151750

This is my current aftermarket setup, hardwired into the OEM footwell ambient lighting circuit. Lights will dim when shifted into Drive, and the get brighter when shifted back into Park.
I just ordered the LEDs. One thing I noticed about yours is that you have good attention to detail, most don’t install the LEDs on the drivers side shelf. I was taking apart the dash trying to figure out how to get the LEDs up there, can you give me some insight on how you wired the LEDs on that shelf?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just ordered the LEDs. One thing I noticed about yours is that you have good attention to detail, most don’t install the LEDs on the drivers side shelf. I was taking apart the dash trying to figure out how to get the LEDs up there, can you give me some insight on how you wired the LEDs on that shelf?

Just took a few quick photos, hopefully it gives you rough idea on how i got the cabling to that spot. In regards on to how to run the cabling through, I had to pry the pieces apart enough to fit the wires through.
Feel free to ask anymore questions or request more photos.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
View attachment 156233 So everyone would have seen my after market interior ambient lighting install in the 3 spots as above ^ and i chose to go with blue to match the OEM footwell lighting. I've decided that I needed a change to match the interior orange accents of the EDGE/Adventure...Would love to hear some feedback if others like this colour.
Looks sharp!

·
Registered
41 Posts
9E8D9533-4389-4421-823D-49C9F83ECEC5.jpeg
OH MY GOD! I LOOOVVVEEEEEE THESE LIGHTS! I have a Hybrid XLE and when I found 12 volts at the plug for the footwell lights, and installed these LED light strips, WOW! This car feels $10,000 more expensive, I LOVE THESE LIGHTS! It was a little difficult to install but somethings are worth fighting for!

·
Registered
87 Posts
View attachment 156737 View attachment 156738 View attachment 156739 View attachment 156740 OH MY GOD! I LOOOVVVEEEEEE THESE LIGHTS! I have a Hybrid XLE and when I found 12 volts at the plug for the footwell lights, and installed these LED light strips, WOW! This car feels $10,000 more expensive, I LOVE THESE LIGHTS! It was a little difficult to install but somethings are worth fighting for!
Do you have pictures of the brightness while in drive gear? Curious how dim the lights get. Too much brightness will not be pleasant for me on long trips at night.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you have pictures of the brightness while in drive gear? Curious how dim the lights get. Too much brightness will not be pleasant for me on long trips at night.
I am going to make a YouTube video about them today, I’ll send you a link. So far, they actually dim a fair amount and are not obnoxious at night but the camera doesn’t quite do it justice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here's the video I promised. I want to give a massive thanks to Edge2019, your insight helped me tremendously on this mod, I am beyond overjoyed with the results.

·
Registered
2020 XLE Hybrid
26 Posts
Here's the video I promised. I want to give a massive thanks to Edge2019, your insight helped me tremendously on this mod, I am beyond overjoyed with the results.
Great video! Thanks. Now you need to buy the foot well lights >> 81080-33280 Courtesy lamp $14.94 each

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good work mate ! Very clean install as well, just be weary of the double sided tape that comes on the LEDs as I found it came unstuck very easily when it becomes hot inside the car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good work mate ! Very clean install as well, just be weary of the double sided tape that comes on the LEDs as I found it came unstuck very easily when it becomes hot inside the car.
Thanks for the info! I’ll be on the lookout.

·
Registered
87 Posts
They seem a bit too bright after dimming but I’ll give it a shot. By the way, you may be able to control them using the dimmer if you tap for power through the corresponding pins (can’t recall what they are). Or if you want on/off function only, you can wire a relay/button combo into the circuit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
They seem a bit too bright after dimming but I’ll give it a shot. By the way, you may be able to control them using the dimmer if you tap for power through the corresponding pins (can’t recall what they are). Or if you want on/off function only, you can wire a relay/button combo into the circuit.
Ahh okay. I think you may be right because I wouldn't at all be surprised if Toyota had a different lighting circuit for the factory ambient lights, not the footwell lights.

·
Registered
'19 Rav4 XLE Hybrid--Magnetic Gray Metallic
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
@JJ163 Thank you for taking the time to create this video, this is exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread. I have been patiently waiting for someone to explain this setup in a easy-to-understand manner.

I have two questions....

1. Do you have a link to where I can buy these lights? I'd love to get them in White LED Color, if possible.
2. Can you explain how you connected the exposed wires from the aftermarket lights to the factory harness near the footwells? I also have the XLE hybrid and I added the OEM footwell courtesy lights. I believe I should still be able to tap that power source to power the aftermarket lights?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts