Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Rav4 that I just installed a Pioneer AVH-521EV video headunit in. I then wired in a backup camera. I ran a separate wire to feed the power to the camera through the 12v switched wire at the stereo. The wire that came with the camera is the one I used for the reverse light hookup. I unfortunately get no video, but the lights on the camera turn on and the radio switches to the camera when put in reverse...there is just a black screen when I do. Do you think this is because the camera is broken? Any other reasons? It is grounded on the back door bolted to a couple other grounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, sorry if this is a redundant thread. If you know of one just tell me the link or an approximate title. I have had a long day and don't have time to do a bunch of searching. Thank you for your patience.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Just over a year ago, I installed a wired one as well and connected it up to an AVH-211EX shown here. In looking at the other photos that I took, but didn't post, the wire bundle at the camera end had red and black wires that I connected directly to the wires in the taillight, reverse 12V and GND. At the radio end was a RCA/composite that plugged into the rearview camera input and a red wire that attached to the purple/white wire.

The Pioneer has a selectable camera polarity of either battery or ground, did you try to toggle this selection to see if the image comes up? I also found the RCA connector isn't very tight when connected to the radio, so make sure it's on tight. Also, did you make sure the RCA connector is plugged into the proper rearview camera input socket?

·
Super Moderator
9,897 Posts
Another thought: I put a BOSS head unit in my F-250 which has backup camera capability. I haven't installed a camera yet but did look at the wiring. As I recall it appeared the signal from the camera somehow "rides" on the 12V power wire. So I'd suggest wiring your power via the head unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed a Pioneer MVH-1400NEX and within the setup of the head unit there is a screen for toggling the camera on and off. Perhaps your unit has the same option and the camera is simply in the OFF position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply everyone. I'll try to make sure I cover everything. I ran an independent power wire from the harness for the head unit to the back. It is attached to the red wire, the switched power wire. I have all connections attached, including the RCA that was mentioned. It did feel a little loose on the back of the unit, so I wiggled around a little and tried from any angle I could but no image would come on. I also went in through settings and tried everything I could. I switched between ground and batter for the polarity setting. I tried turning the camera on and off. I also tried every kind of video feed format I could. I know I wired the reverse light correctly as the unit automatically changes to the camera when I put it in reverse. Maybe I should do a firmware update?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts