Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my girlfriend has a 2006 Rav4 3.5 V6 and I would like to buy and install back up camera. Has anyone done that and which model would you recommend me ? I would probably prefer wired connection all the way and the camera and the little screen don't necessarily have to be purchased as a bundle, I don't mind buying them separate as long as they would work fine together.
Thanks !

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
You've got a few options.
Sounds like you are looking at stand alone units that have a tacky monitor stuck to the dash/windshield? I would avoid those.

A better solution would be one of these that integrates into a rear view mirror. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Z0P2fKftdb8/g_436850/Rear-view-Mirrors.html?XVINQ=DST&XVVER=AAA&awcp=1t1&awcr=164108129967&awdv=c&awkw=&awmt=b&awnw=g&awug=9001881

Or if you are open to putting in a new head unit you can find cheap ones that have a backup cam input easy. That's the route I took for my wife's RAV4. The camera itself was some generic <$10 deal on ebay and it's still working great years later even though I have it wired for constant power so it can be used anytime while driving forward too. Was handy as a rear view mirror substitute when we moved cross country and had it packed to the roof. And of course get the additional benefits of bluetooth, pandora, nav, usb input, etc. Went with a Clarion NX404 I got on a Black Friday special around $300. Non-nav units can be had cheaper.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
They tend to be small poor quality displays. One of my used cars came with one. It was useless had to sit forward and squint to see if anything was there. Which was especially baffling because that car's nav unit did have a reverse camera input that was simple to hook up and make functional.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You've got a few options.
Went with a Clarion NX404 I got on a Black Friday special around $300. Non-nav units can be had cheaper.
Thanks for the heads up! Looked to see if this would work with an Android phone. I will consider this for my old School Subaru XT6. Seems like a cool piece.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts