Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a dash cam in our Prius and love it as a backup. Today, while driving our new (60 days) 2021 RAV Hybrid, we had a truck tailgate, then get aggressive by changing into our lane. Interstate driving is a lot of fun.

We got the license plate, but no other information to help.

I want to install a dash cam, and maybe one for the back. I like the one in the Prius because I can download the video to my phone via WiFi. But it has only 1080 resolution, so reading a license plate is tough.

Who uses what dash cam? Link to purchase page, please, or make and model.
Mounted where / how?
How did you install it, run the wires, etc.?
Please include photos and specifics so I can duplicate what you figured out.

I want to hide all the wires and make this look almost factory - not have dangling wires.

In our Prius, I mounted the cam behind the mirror (impossible on the RAV - so to the right might be best?) and hid the wire in the roof liner, down the edge of the pillar, then underneath the glove compartment and plugged it into the accessory (cigarette) plug. I had planned on a hard wire, but the plug in this cam converts the 12V to 5V, so I had to keep that.

It is too bad that Toyota did not setup video recording and a SD card on the front and back cameras. Camera recording is becoming a safety necessity these days.

I read this link, but the amount of information was limited and not very specific.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Dynamic Hybrid 2WD White Pearl / Gloss Black
11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn’t want to “clutter“ my windscreen with a camera and cables so went for an integrated one from Fitcam really easy to install and works well.
Doesn’t have all the ”bells and whistles“ of some available dashcams but does what I need it to do.

That looks perfect. No cables to run and it attaches to the existing RAV center camera, too.

Thanks!

I need to compare the different models.

And figure out if I need / want one in the rear, too.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4h Ltd 🇯🇵
2,534 Posts
I didn’t want to “clutter“ my windscreen with a camera and cables so went for an integrated one from Fitcam really easy to install and works well.
Doesn’t have all the ”bells and whistles“ of some available dashcams but does what I need it to do.

I am looking for great video quality and the ability to easily get the videos. Anything else is second. How would state inclement weather and darkness videos to show plate numbers?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got the 4K version, it was incredibly easy to install.

The existing shroud is in two parts, the small bit simply unclips with a plastic trim remover, the larger part unclips by sliding it down the windscreen away from the mirror.

Once removed you need to swap the two orange securing clips off the existing shroud onto the new one, remove the plug from the socket near the mirror and plug the new lead in, plug the lead that you removed into the socket on the replacement lead, then plug the fly lead into the camera.

Place the camera shroud flat against the windscreen and slide up towards the mirror until it clicks into place, tuck cables into the shroud and replace the small cover.

Thats the installation done, it took me a little over 5 minutes, settings are done through an app that you download to your smartphone over the built in wi-fi.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any suggestions on a rear camera, too?

It looks like the 4K has a firmware issue and requires an update. When the 4K camera loses power, on startup, it defaults to 1K. With the firmware update, the issue is fixed.
All of this info comes from discussions on Amazon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have these in all of my cars. I have a front and rear camera in my RAV. I have been happy with them. Easy to install and zero wire cutting.

The advantage of the Fitcamx is that it is custom designed and taps into the power at the front windshield power. But it does not have a rear camera.

The Blackvue looks good, but it has to have power run to the fuses. I have a hybrid with the battery in the back.

How did you wire up these two cams? And how do they look installed? If you can, please send a picture of front and back. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here are pictures of it installed. The rear camera is powered by having a wire running from the rear camera to the front camera. The front camera is wired to the fuse panel at the driver side with fuse taps. Any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had the Rexing V1P in a previous vehicle and just installed it on my new Rav4. Front and rear. I hid the cables through the head board and side panels. Uses MicroSD card that I can easily access.
20210711_103236.jpg 20210711_103242.jpg

It rained last night...but from the outside, it's pretty decent.
20210711_103302.jpg

I used this video as a guide for the install:

·
Registered
987 Posts
I got the 4K version, it was incredibly easy to install.

The existing shroud is in two parts, the small bit simply unclips with a plastic trim remover, the larger part unclips by sliding it down the windscreen away from the mirror.

Once removed you need to swap the two orange securing clips off the existing shroud onto the new one, remove the plug from the socket near the mirror and plug the new lead in, plug the lead that you removed into the socket on the replacement lead, then plug the fly lead into the camera.

Place the camera shroud flat against the windscreen and slide up towards the mirror until it clicks into place, tuck cables into the shroud and replace the small cover.

Thats the installation done, it took me a little over 5 minutes, settings are done through an app that you download to your smartphone over the built in wi-fi.
Will the camera work in summer/hot weather?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will the camera work in summer/hot weather?
I cannot vouch for any of these specific cameras. But I installed a camera in our Prius 3 years ago and have not had a problem with summer heat nor winter cold.

If shopping for a camera, I would get 4K. The camera I got was 1K (standard HD) and it is difficult to read the license plate.

I would also get one with WiFi. With my camera, it creates its own WiFi network which allows me to connect with my phone to the camera and download the video. Otherwise, it means removing the SD card and loading it in the computer. Not terribly inconvenient, but WiFi is easier.

Also look at the way the camera connects to power. If possible, you want to hide the wire and connect to the fuse box, or a switched voltage behind the dashboard. It turned out that my camera required 5V, and hooking up directly to the 12V would have burned it out. So I had to use the 'cigarette lighter' plug that came with the camera because that connector contains the 12V to 5V converter.

If you want parking security, the camera either has to have a small battery, or you have to connect the camera to 'always on' power and then hope the camera is engineered to turn off and not drain the car battery.

Look at the way the camera mounts. The RAV has that huge front facing camera behind the rear view mirror. That is where dashboard cameras normally mount. That means mounting your camera someplace else. Mounting to the right of the existing RAV camera means it is somewhat in the face of the front passenger. And that is where I have to place my EZPass too.
With the camera I mounted, I found that the physical up/down positioning was limited. The Prius has such a steep windshield that the camera barely points down far enough.

This is what I got (below) and I do not recommend it because it is 1K. If the manufacturer makes 4K, then it is OK. It is physically smaller than most which is great. Some of the other cameras are fairly boxy.

I was wondering about mounting a camera on the front grill. It would have to be waterproof, but that would help prevent windshield clutter.

In a perfect world, someone will figure out how to tap into the existing RAV cameras. I already have one to the front and two to the back. Why do I need two more?

·
Registered
115 Posts
LexVApin, can't you place your EZ Pass up high on the windshield on the passenger or driver side? I don't usually deal with tolls, but when I travel and rent a car that is where I place mine. I would say that it is pretty much out of the field of view. But I guess that would depend on the design of the vehicle too.

A dash camera ideally should be placed centered so that it gets even coverage from side to side.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LexVApin, can't you place your EZ Pass up high on the windshield on the passenger or driver side? I don't usually deal with tolls, but when I travel and rent a car that is where I place mine. I would say that it is pretty much out of the field of view. But I guess that would depend on the design of the vehicle too.

A dash camera ideally should be placed centered so that it gets even coverage from side to side.
An aftermarket dash cam in the 5th gen RAV cannot be centered behind the rear view mirror, because the RAV already has a camera there. The lone exception seems to be the Fitcam that Rigsby posted in the second note on this thread. The Fitcam attaches to the existing RAV camera which makes it, IMHO, ideal. The other cameras posted by others have to be placed on either side or below the RAV camera. On the left or below the RAV camera could interfere with the driver's view. So the other aftermarket cameras should to go to the right of the RAV camera.

SLS Artemis placed his below the RAV camera. That is not my preference. Soccerdmon placed his camera to the right of the RAV camera which is OK. But then I would have to move my EZPass. EZPass states that the transponder must be installed behind the rear view mirror, which is impossible in the RAV. So I have mine placed to the right of the RAV camera, the same location that Soccerdmon mounted the dash cam.

I prefer to mount nothing that might compromise the view of the driver, and that includes anything to the left or below the RAV camera.

·
Registered
115 Posts
LexVApin. I took this picture sitting in the drivers seat to give you an idea of view obstruction. To me it is really nothing. Everybody has their own opinion however. The camera is fairly small. If you want a picture at another angle, let me know. Happy to do what I can to help!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LexVApin. I took this picture sitting in the drivers seat to give you an idea of view obstruction. To me it is really nothing. Everybody has their own opinion however. The camera is fairly small. If you want a picture at another angle, let me know. Happy to do what I can to help!
Thanks SLS Artemis. I guess I could get used to that.

In our state, they stupidly put two inspection stickers on the lower left side of the windshield. They make me want to move to another state.

Worse, they used to be in the center. Any car over 3 years old has remnants of stickers in the lower center and new stickers on the lower left. 😆

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I asked FitCamX if they have a model that is both front and rear. They said yes, but that it would have to be ordered from China. I asked for a part number and got this:
_

Thank you for your interest.

For front and rear dash cam, the resolution is 1440(F)+1080(R). Please note.

You can find 1005002591866614.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Aileen
_

As expected, Amazon has nothing under that part number. When I go to Ali Express with that part number, I get the FitCamX page, and there are cameras options with three resolutions. If I pick the middle one "2.5K-1944P-32G" I don't get any information about a rear camera. I also see nothing at the FitCamX web page.

At this point, if I want to go with FitCamX and a rear camera, I am stuck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve fitted the 4K FitCamX mainly because I didn’t want the windscreen cluttered, I am going to fit a “stand alone” rear camera.
The main reason I didn’t install a rear one that plugs into the front camera and syncs was the fact that you have to run the cable passed the two curtain side airbags and also the A pillar airbag. May be ok, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’ve fitted the 4K FitCamX mainly because I didn’t want the windscreen cluttered, I am going to fit a “stand alone” rear camera.
The main reason I didn’t install a rear one that plugs into the front camera and syncs was the fact that you have to run the cable passed the two curtain side airbags and also the A pillar airbag. May be ok, but better safe than sorry.
Do you have a 'stand alone' rear camera of choice?

I would be interested in installation info too. It looks to me like it will require the removal of the back plastic covers on the door, then snaking it up through the rubber wire covers. Unless there is a switched power supply in the hatch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I asked FitCamX if they have a model that is both front and rear. They said yes, but that it would have to be ordered from China. I asked for a part number and got this:
_

Thank you for your interest.

For front and rear dash cam, the resolution is 1440(F)+1080(R). Please note.

You can find 1005002591866614.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Aileen
_

As expected, Amazon has nothing under that part number. When I go to Ali Express with that part number, I get the FitCamX page, and there are cameras options with three resolutions. If I pick the middle one "2.5K-1944P-32G" I don't get any information about a rear camera. I also see nothing at the FitCamX web page.

At this point, if I want to go with FitCamX and a rear camera, I am stuck.
FitCamX got back to me and said that this option has both front and back cameras. But no information about install.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts