Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's out there? It's been a long time since I scoured auto parts stores for air filters. Do the major companies have aftermarket air filters for the RAV4.2, or are we still stuck with getting parts from the dealerships?

And that's just talking about regular filters, not the oil-based ones that need to be specially fitted to the intake.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Some major aftermarket suppliers produce air filters for the 4.2 Rav. For instance, I use a Purolator filter for mine, and I can pick it up from the local Advance Auto Parts store. However, I don't think Fram produces a filter, but I know I've seen some generic or private label filters for the Rav. I don't really care about Fram because I wouldn't be caught dead using any of their filters anyway. The Purolator air filter costs me about $12 and the local stores usually always have them in stock. Personally I think the Toyota air filter is the best, but at $24 each I tend to go with the Purolator version.

·
Registered
147 Posts
After market replacement filters are also made by K&N, Apex, Jr., and Green... to name a few. These are oil based (performance) replacement filters that are made to fit perfectly into the stock air box, not the type that you have to modify your intake. So yeah, they're out there, they're usualy just a little more expensive is all, but they last forever basicaly with the proper up-keep.

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
The K&N is a direct replacement for the stock filter. Just pull out the old one and pop in a fresh K&N. Clean and re-oil it every 30k miles or so depending on your environment (dust, climate, etc).

I swear it lets the engine "breathe" a little better and I'm pretty sure I notice a slight difference from the paper stock filter. Gives a better throttle response and a nice low vroomy noise on hard acceleration. Not entirely sure on any mileage improvements since my right foot tends to be kinda heavy... :twisted:

O

·
0 Posts
do you happen to have the filter number for the rav????? I'm thinking of getting one 2morro

O

·
0 Posts
okay, so does anyone know the filter number for the k&n rav air filter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
no exactly sure, but you will find them easily on knfilters.com... I have mine now for over 2 years, and I drive about 20.000 miles a year, cleaned it up a couple of times and so far everything works excellent. You save a lot over the oem ones, since you don't have to replace your filter anymore, just clean it..

PS: I only use the "KN Cleaner Liquid" not the oil... It is better if you live in some dusty areas (Like I do), because with the oil and the dust it tends to form a sort of "paste" on youre filter. The "Shampoo" alone does a great job, only that I clean my filter about twice a year..

·
Registered
278 Posts
orionman25 said:
do you happen to have the filter number for the rav????? I'm thinking of getting one 2morro
I have a drop in K&N filter, bought it at automotive art in Mobay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts