Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aftermarket exhaust systems: Aparently there aren't many 4.2's fitted with new exhaust systems. What should I look at in terms of fitment? I'm looking for something with a big can - not a straight pipe. Mine happens to be a 4wd, which I'm told may have different clearance. I'm sure I'm not alone on this quest for an aftermarket exhaust system that looks somewhat stock-ish,...except for maybe a little bling bling mirrored finish.

Any suggestions, photos or pointers on what to look for in terms of fitting something on there? The rav4 doesn't have much room back there and I'd hate for the muffler to hang down so low and be so exposed. Any thoughts?

J

·
0 Posts
Im looking into it now as well... I have a good feeling the flanges for all Toyota exhausts might be the same thats why Im really considering using the TRD exhaust from either a Matrix XR or a Celica GTS. I have a pic here, and I think this person did the same thing, since TRD doesn't make one for the RAV4.

I just found that in my stash of rav4 pics, I dont know where I might have taken that photo from.

The Toyota Matrix exits on the left side, and I think the Celica exits from the right... (maybe)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have that photo too and i believe it's from ebay. Someone was selling it for $400. I should have natched it. I remember getting excited to see whomever bought it to place photos on this forum. I never saw anything though. I wonder where it's floating around.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
jdmrav4 said:
Im looking into it now as well... I have a good feeling the flanges for all Toyota exhausts might be the same thats why Im really considering using the TRD exhaust from either a Matrix XR or a Celica GTS. I have a pic here, and I think this person did the same thing, since TRD doesn't make one for the RAV4.

I just found that in my stash of RAV4 pics, I dont know where I might have taken that photo from.

The Toyota Matrix exits on the left side, and I think the Celica exits from the right... (maybe)
Looks cool man.

·
Registered
682 Posts
zoomie, are you worried about the piping or the muffler hanging low? don't worry too much as there's heaps of ground clearance, even when the car is lowered.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Oh man. Just find a Tanabe dealer that might still have the Rav4 exhaust and save yourself the trouble, Zoomie. :p :p By the way, the Tanabe exhaust tip is huge and I've yet to bottom it out on anything on the street so I don't think you should worry about that if you decide to go with some aftermarket exhaust.

T

·
0 Posts
get TTE toyota something Europe, they are like TRD but in Europe, they have dual exaust system for rav4, but it run for 600-700

·
Registered
682 Posts
You could go for a drum type Remus muffler like CM208's ex-RAV:

Or you could go for a Tanabe style muffler like on my RAV:

Neither are going to give u any trouble with ground clearance...and both our RAVs our lowered in those pics.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mohit said:
zoomie, are you worried about the piping or the muffler hanging low? don't worry too much as there's heaps of ground clearance, even when the car is lowered.
It's not the ground clearance i'm worried about, it's the look of it resting too low. I'd like it to hug the bottom of the car so it doesn't look like it was just added on.

From what i've heard the REMUS exhaust is no longer available. I've also read from an owner that the performance gain was minimal.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
zoomie said:
Mohit said:
I've also read from an owner that the performance gain was minimal.
I don't know in the RAV4 case since I am new owner, but I've added a number of performance exhausts over the years and most cat back systems show minimal gains. I think the vendors overstate the potential gains.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RAV4Don said:
zoomie said:
Mohit said:
I don't know in the RAV4 case since I am new owner, but I've added a number of performance exhausts over the years and most cat back systems show minimal gains. I think the vendors overstate the potential gains.
What about gas mileage? In general is it worse or better after changing to a more free flowing exhaust system? is the sacrifice of low end torque really that bad? Sounds like you're an expert with this kinda stuff. I'm all ears.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Because the RAV4 muffler and piping is so restrictive, replacing the exhaust with a freer flowing ones makes it a little bit more powerful. Fuel economy will be a little better but going with headers as well will give the most gains in power and fuel economy.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I, too is in deep search for a custom exhaust that would match my new header....hopefully ZOOMIE, JDM or anybody would be able to find an exhaust system that would fit our 4.2's or even a solution on how to mix and match and put together a unique exhaust setup.

below is how our original manifold looks like.....Yikes!
it is already obvious that this restricts a lot of airflow!

and here is my new HEADER....perfectly fits the 2AZFE engine

it is the 4-1 header believed to be top notch in the high end....

and with my custom CAI..... :wink:

SORRY FOR THE BLURRY PHOTOS..JUST USED my CAMERA PHONE.... :?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not bad pictures for a camera phone! Thanks for posting the photos. I've seen that header on ebay. It doesn't look any less restrictive than the stock one. The bends look pretty similar.

What do you suggest is the best way (w/o actually doing it) to see if that baby would fit on an earlier 2.0L 1AZFE engine? Let us know how that thing performs. the more details the better. I'm sure i'm not the only one drooling to know. keep us up to date. thnaks!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, if it works for the 1azfe engine, I'm there as well. My list for needed parts will be growing again. Wonder how much power that would put out when paired up with my Tanabe exhaust, a Power Enterprises Camcon II controller, a Weapon R Secret WEapon intake, and TRD Thermostat and radiator cap? I think that covers all the bolt-ons available for a 4.2.

E

·
0 Posts
I'm going to throw my hat in the ring since I am debating over the same issue as I read the forums...

Toyota Canada offers a Borla performance exhaust kit as a dealer add-on accessory for the RAV4, Tacoma, Tundra and a few other models. It costs over $800CAD - which includes installation. It also comes with a full warranty, since it is considered an "authorized" Toyota accessory.

I am still debating... Yes, it will cost $867.50 + taxes, and I am not sure what the performance benefits are, although Toyota claims that there is a "slight" increase in horsepower. I'm not totally gung-ho about performance products, but I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for a performance boost, which doesn't void the factory warranty, but actually has its own Toyota warranty too. :lol:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
zoomie said:
RAV4Don said:
zoomie said:
Mohit said:
What about gas mileage? In general is it worse or better after changing to a more free flowing exhaust system? is the sacrifice of low end torque really that bad? Sounds like you're an expert with this kinda stuff. I'm all ears.
I am no expert, but I have some experience since I have been modifing cars since the 60's. There is no quick and easy template for adding mods and determining the power they will produce. Each model and powertrain will respond differently.

Regarding mileage improvement, theoretically speaking improving the air flow (in and out ) will net some gain, but how much on a RAV is hard to determine. Then there is the cost/benefit thing. One could spend (and I have) over $1000 on a T304 stainless exhaust system that sounds great but only added maybe 7 hp. Most small MPG gains in HP with improvements in exhaust systems generally get nulified by one's heavy foot. :lol:

Regarding the engine TQ, I have never added any headers or exhaust system where I have noticed any loss of TQ. I know you if mistakenly install headers with primary tubes larger than the engine needs, (and kill exhaust gas velocity) or a system that doesn't match the mods on the engine, then you can loose HP and TQ. It is possible to increase but move peak power higher in the RPM band, but I doubt this could happen with a simple aftermarket cat back system.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i just got back from Precision Mufflers in Milpitas after a 2 hr drive in traffic. Gabriel, raised my car up to check the fitment of the Scion TC's exhaust to see if it could really be a match. It does NOT fit. The can is too long. Even if it did fit, the flange is different and therefore would require some extra work.

THE FINAL WORD IS THAT CUSTOM EXHAUST IS PRETTY MUCH THE ONLY WAY TO GO...considering the remus one is discontinued, costs a bundle and no one makes anything else for our car.

It would be awesome if we found that the TC header fits the 1AZFE engines - not just the 2AZFE's. By the way, how is that performing on your new 4.2's?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts