Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know any cool looking after marker grilles? Can't really find any. Just the OEM grilles from the 96/97 and 98-00 models. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
Take your OEM grill out, trim the mesh and just leave the frame alone. Buy some strong chicken screens then attached it to back of the grill. It'll look like slimjim16v's link up there.^

How it looks from outside:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take your OEM grill out, trim the mesh and just leave the frame alone. Buy some strong chicken screens then attached it to back of the grill. I'll look like slimjim16v's link up there.^

That's a great idea! How did you attach the chicken screen to the frame?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Great idea. I was looking at my grill today, and I can't seen to figure out how the mesh comes out. Do I have to cut it with something? If so, how do I keep it a smooth cut? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
@Muppetseb Cut the screen in linear form based from the hole of the grill frame using any cutter that can cut thru. Leave an allowance on the screen, then place it behind the frame. From thereon, hot glue the edges (allowance) of the screen. That's it.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
Take your OEM grill out, trim the mesh and just leave the frame alone. Buy some strong chicken screens then attached it to back of the grill. It'll look like slimjim16v's link up there.^

I like it!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Muppetseb Cut the screen in linear form based from the hole of the grill frame using any cutter that can cut thru. Leave an allowance on the screen, then place it behind the frame. From thereon, hot glue the edges (allowance) of the screen. That's it.
My apologies, I meant I didn't know how to get the grill frame by itself. As in, how would I get rid of the existing circles in the grill? 400-441528.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
@Muppetseb There 8 plastic pins behind that grill, take them off and trim the mesh by any power cutters or do it manually by small jig saws or blades that can cut through.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
Mine looks different than yours, mine has louvers. Here's how I'm doing it today:
1) Cutting out the entire inside louvers or in your case circles using a dremel. All that will be left is the frame.
2) Cut the mesh to fit so it overlaps to the inside of the frame. (CCG 6"x36" Perforated Hex Grill Mesh Sheet - Gloss Black (amazon.com))
3) Gluing the mesh into place
4) Put a new badge on the grill (Premium 3D Metal Decal / Sticker - Punisher Skull for Car, Truck and Motorcycle 3" X 2.2" (Gunmetal) (amazon.com))
5) I will use stainless steel hardware through the mesh to reattach the grill to the car.

Pictures at page 5 on my link http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/206377-1999-4dr-4x4-major-mods.html

Reactions: Ahya728

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine looks different than yours, mine has louvers. Here's how I'm doing it today:

1) Cutting out the entire inside louvers or in your case circles using a dremel. All that will be left is the frame.

2) Cut the mesh to fit so it overlaps to the inside of the frame. (CCG 6"x36" Perforated Hex Grill Mesh Sheet - Gloss Black (amazon.com))

3) Gluing the mesh into place

4) Put a new badge on the grill (CCG 6"x36" Perforated Hex Grill Mesh Sheet - Gloss Black (amazon.com))

5) I will use stainless steel hardware through the mesh to reattach the grill to the car.

Pictures to follow.

Sounds awesome! Be sure to show us pics!

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Here's how I modded my grill:

1) Cut out the entire inside louvers using a dremel rotary tool with a metal cutting blade. I used the dremel again with a sanding drum to even up the cut. I then used an orbital sander to level out the cut edges of the frame.
2) Cut the mesh to fit so it overlaps inside of the frame.
3) Glued the mesh into place with a hot glue gun.
4) Put a new badge on the grill, self adhesive, but to make sure it stays I also used a hot glue gun
5) I plan to use stainless steel hardware through the mesh to reattach the grill to the car.

Tools needed:
1) 10mm deep well socket and rachet to take the grill off
2) Dremel rotary tool with steel cutting blade, and sanding drums
3) Orbital sander with 120 grit sand paper
4) Hot glue gun

Supplies:
1 ea - CCG 6"x36" Perforated Hex Grill Mesh Sheet - Gloss Black (amazon.com)
1 ea - Premium 3D Metal Decal / Sticker - Punisher Skull for Car, Truck and Motorcycle 3" X 2.2" (Gunmetal) (amazon.com)
1 cn - Rust Oleum trim paint, black

Pictures at page 5 on my link http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/206377-1999-4dr-4x4-major-mods.html

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Here's how I modded my grill:

1) Cut out the entire inside louvers using a dremel rotary tool with a metal cutting blade. I used the dremel again with a sanding drum to even up the cut. I then used an orbital sander to level out the cut edges of the frame.
2) Cut the mesh to fit so it overlaps inside of the frame.
3) Glued the mesh into place with a hot glue gun.
4) Put a new badge on the grill, self adhesive, but to make sure it stays I also used a hot glue gun
5) I plan to use stainless steel hardware through the mesh to reattach the grill to the car.

Tools needed:
1) 10mm deep well socket and rachet to take the grill off
2) Dremel rotary tool with steel cutting blade, and sanding drums
3) Orbital sander with 120 grit sand paper
4) Hot glue gun

Supplies:
1 ea - CCG 6"x36" Perforated Hex Grill Mesh Sheet - Gloss Black (amazon.com)
1 ea - Premium 3D Metal Decal / Sticker - Punisher Skull for Car, Truck and Motorcycle 3" X 2.2" (Gunmetal) (amazon.com)
1 cn - Rust Oleum trim paint, black

The hot glue gun didn't workout, I ended up using a black RTV which worked great. To attach the grill to the hood I used UV resistant black zip ties and it worked very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts