Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it even possible to install a aftermarket head unit and keep all the OEM accessories such as bluetooth/backup camera/XM radio antenna along with steering wheel controls and aux/usb inputs? I'm looking at something like a Pioneer AVH-2330NEX and I called a couple places that do radio installs and they say its impossible? I looked on crutchfield and according to them the wiring harness only supports steering wheel controls and you will lose all other functions and have to replace it with aftermarket equipment.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is it even possible to install a aftermarket head unit and keep all the OEM accessories such as bluetooth/backup camera/XM radio antenna along with steering wheel controls and aux/usb inputs? I'm looking at something like a Pioneer AVH-2330NEX and I called a couple places that do radio installs and they say its impossible? I looked on crutchfield and according to them the wiring harness only supports steering wheel controls and you will lose all other functions and have to replace it with aftermarket equipment.
I don't know what you asked them or if they were speaking to a specific area but it is not impossible for most of the items.

The below response's are highly dependent on the my install, parts/headunit purchased are below.

bluetooth - Yes, the new unit has it's own built in bluetooth. Nothing further needed to connect to your phone

backup camera - Yes - There are adapters for this. I used the Maestro RR($99) module with the specific Toyota harness ($30) to keep the backup cam and have an easy ass install.

XM radio antenna - Not sure. My 2014 LE didn't have one so I didn't look into this. I'm 50/50 on the assumption on this, might work with a specific adapter? Worst case, a new one is free after rebate anyways. Just an extra install step I guess.

along with steering wheel controls - Yes the Maestro RR gives full customization of steering wheel controls via flashing it. Pretty simple via their website. You can make the buttons do pretty much anything. Will need IE 11 for the site to work properly I think. Not IE Edge, Not Chrome, Not firefox. I tried in FF and Chrome but I have a lot of security measures on them. It may work if I disabled them fully but it was easier just to find and download IE 11.

aux - Not positive. I never used mine in the 3 years I had it so I don't have a cable in the car to test if it still works. I use bluetooth, so I decided I didn't care enough to look into. Worst case, the unit does have AUX input, you'll just have to run a wire to somewhere else in your car.

usb inputs - Yes. It'll be another $10 for an adapter. Not sure of your year/version of the Rav so can't tell you which one. My stock USB port is the port that automatically triggers Android auto now. Kinda sweet.

Didn't mention calling - Microphone - The new unit comes with it's own microphone - You will have to install this one. I popped the stock one out of the overhead console and stuck the new one there. No issues so far.

Parts I ordered
Kenwood DMX7704S - New headunit :)
Metra 40-LX11 ($10) Factory antenna adapter
iDatalink HRN-RR-TO2 ($30) Car specific harness that is specific to pair with the Maestro RR
AXXESS AX-TOYUSB ($8) - USB Adapter for the 2014 LE Rav4 - to keep stock port
SCOSCHE TA2115B ($25) - Don't get the Metra, order this one. Colored and Constructed better per the reviews. Metal vs Plastic brackets. I'm not disappointed in quality.
Maestro RR ADS-MRR ($89-$99) - Customize steering wheel controls, gets car stats on screen, makes install easier.

Any further questions, I might be able to help but I am not a professional. I did install my own and it wasn't too tough(about 4 weeks ago). So I can answer basic questions if needed.

Only thing I would do different was to wait a couple weeks and get the kenwood 9904 for $400 :( It had a capacitive screen vs resistive. Only downside there is that I wear polorized sunglasses and if you've ever looked at your phone with polorized glasses on, you would know why thats a downside.

I don't know if you're thinking of this because you saw the unit on sale but it is currently $325 AR on slickdeals noted below.
https://slickdeals.net/f/10679564

A little more details on parts I bought
https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=105987300&postcount=38

·
Registered
334 Posts
I replaced my 2015 RAV4 LE HU with an aftermarket one. It keeps all functions, bluetooth, backup camera, all buttons on steering wheels and front USB input. But no front aux input. I couldn't find connector for front aux and usb.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I replaced my 2015 RAV4 LE HU with an aftermarket one. It keeps all functions, bluetooth, backup camera, all buttons on steering wheels and front USB input. But no front aux input. I couldn't find connector for front aux and usb.
It would be useful if you could tell us what you installed.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The higher end Pioneer units (I'm using an AVIC-8200NEX) support the Maestro-RR interface module.
iDatalink - Maestro - Maestro RR
It looks like the 2330 is fully supported with an iDatalink port for the MRR built into the Pioneer.

This module supports MOST factory functions without having to splice the OEM harness.
It supports steering wheel controls (you self-program the buttons), it supports CEL monitoring and error code checking AND reset, it supports direct tire pressure readout (AND tire temperature). Backup camera, if currently displayed on the HU, is retained.

XM/Nav is built into the OEM head unit, so you will need to purchase an XM receiver separately to support that. XM will roll your subscription to a new Sirius/XM contract for $15.
Adapter harnesses are available that allow you to use the factory antenna, as well as the OEM USB port.
The AVIC-8200 (and others) support Android-Auto.

You retain the ability to program your lights and locks from the HU, but you do lose the (pretty worthless IMHO) maintenance reminder screen.
Depending on your year/model, navigation may be impacted.... if you have an XSE/XLE model that displays navigation information directly on the cluster between the speedo and tach, that will no longer work.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Does it retain XM?

·
Registered
298 Posts
The higher end Pioneer units (I'm using an AVIC-8200NEX) support the Maestro-RR interface module.
iDatalink - Maestro - Maestro RR
It looks like the 2330 is fully supported with an iDatalink port for the MRR built into the Pioneer.

This module supports MOST factory functions without having to splice the OEM harness.
It supports steering wheel controls (you self-program the buttons), it supports CEL monitoring and error code checking AND reset, it supports direct tire pressure readout (AND tire temperature). Backup camera, if currently displayed on the HU, is retained.

XM/Nav is built into the OEM head unit, so you will need to purchase an XM receiver separately to support that. XM will roll your subscription to a new Sirius/XM contract for $15.
Adapter harnesses are available that allow you to use the factory antenna, as well as the OEM USB port.
The AVIC-8200 (and others) support Android-Auto.

You retain the ability to program your lights and locks from the HU, but you do lose the (pretty worthless IMHO) maintenance reminder screen.
Depending on your year/model, navigation may be impacted.... if you have an XSE/XLE model that displays navigation information directly on the cluster between the speedo and tach, that will no longer work.
This is the exact system I am thinking of installing in my 2013 Limited w/ JBL. Did you also change your speakers? I want to try replacing the HU to get better tone controls especially, then also have Apple CarPlay. If you did not change your speakers, was there a noticeable improvement in the sound after equalization? Or did you need to change the speakers too?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
This is the exact system I am thinking of installing in my 2013 Limited w/ JBL. Did you also change your speakers? I want to try replacing the HU to get better tone controls especially, then also have Apple CarPlay. If you did not change your speakers, was there a noticeable improvement in the sound after equalization? Or did you need to change the speakers too?
I installed this into my '16 Corolla... Wife hasn't decided if she wants me to spend the $1100 on the Rav.

I did keep the stock speakers. I'd say there is some improvement. Not a lot, but certainly an improvement in the EQ balance and I've noticed that the EQ seems more consistent. Overall it is much more pleasant to listen to.
Levels are MUCH improved when streaming Bluetooth audio.

I keep considering upgrading the rear deck speakers, but I have never really felt that the Corolla's system sounded bad. It's always been the in-motion lock-down, HORRIBLE voice command implementation, and lack of Android Auto that I didn't like.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you have the JBL system? If you do, I'm not sure how this affects the amp and someone else will have to chime in there.
Looks like if you go with the maestro rr unit and the correct harness, it will work with the factory JBL amp or without.

BTW, Thanks for the info from your original reply to this thread. I found it very helpful. My factory navigation unit on my 2014 limited pretty much bricked on me (constantly reloading cycle and won't boot up). I figured good time for an upgrade as I'm out of warranty now too. I went ahead and ordered all the same parts you listed on your original post except I went with a pioneer HU and did not order the attenna adapter yet.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Might sacrifice my car's settings ability through head unit for this. 10.1 inches, Android 7.
Didn't understand his language but unit looks fantastic and installation DIY looks doable.

Reactions: nevermind65

·
Registered
47 Posts
Might sacrifice my car's settings ability through head unit for this. 10.1 inches, Android 7.
Didn't understand his language but unit looks fantastic and installation DIY looks doable.

Installation of SYGAV 10.1 inch Android CAR STEREO for TOYOTA RAV4 2014 2015 2016 - YouTube

Installation of SYGAV 10.1 inch Android CAR STEREO for TOYOTA RAV4 2014 2015 2016 - YouTube
I thought about getting one of these units as well. I've been seeing them on ebay and amazon for anywhere from $250 to 450. But was skeptical as as they're just all from China. Also, all the ones I've seen are not made to work if you have a factory JBL system or navigation and only works if you have the base model (I assume since it's made to be plug and play, though I'm sure it'll work if you just manually wire it yourself).

I ended up ordering a pioneer 8200NEX unit for mine. We'll see how easy the install is once I get the harness and maestro unit from idatalink.

If you do go ahead and get one of the 10" android units, please let us know how it goes. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
get unlimited data plan for $19
Not even sure who that is... they aren't in our area (Los Angeles).
We've got Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobil, and Boost.
Any "unlimited" plan that's less than $75-$100 is throttled once you reach 2-4gb, so your speeds are horrible and you aren't going to be able to stream video. That is universally the case around here even with some of the major players like AT&T.
Verizon doesn't throttle, but if you have more than one phone, they ALL have to be on the same plan... that would be $160 for me and my wife.

And even with an unlimited plan, that's going to leave you with nothing traveling across the southwest on a road trip.

My main point was that you claimed that the android unit retained ALL features of the stock system.
It does not.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts