Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I looked around, and did not see anything on this specific question. I just got my RAV4, and I had a pretty nice stereo setup in my old car. I have all of the gear from there, but have yet to decide how much I am going to reinstall into the new truck. My question is, has anyone found or tried to use an aftermarket head unit with the upgraded JBL amp? For right now I would love to be able to get rid of the factory head unit and get my nice Pioneer with XM in there, but dont have the time or money just yet to mess with upgrading all of the speakers and getting my amps in. Would be nice to just use the Pioneer for the source.

Thanks in adavance!

B

·
0 Posts
Bad news...

I put an Eclipse navigation in my Rav with JBL, and I had to rewire the whole car. The normal amp-bypass harness Metra makes doesn't hook up to the new Rav (it's a 10-ish pin harness, the Rav has about 20 pins).

So, I ran speaker wires back and spliced into the ones coming out of the amp, leading me to another problem: the components in the front are crossed over inside the amp. I ended up replacing all 4 speakers as well. Not cheap. You may be able to get away using the existing speakers (either wire tweeter and woofer in series or only use one or the other), but I figured they'd blow pretty soon. The other option was replacing only the fronts, but I figured I'd do the whole thing.

Some bright sides I haven't looked into fully yet:

1) Metra made a TYTO-01 harness that may have worked. It was discontinued in '04, so rather than trying to find it, I gave up.

2) The sub in the door is dual-voice, with 2 ohms on each coil. You could probably wire it to 4 ohms and push it with a small amp for a little extra bass. I may end up doing that, but not this month. Too much $$$ already.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I knew that was what I would have to do if I wanted to add my own amp and all, but I was really hoping to just be able to use my aftermarket HU as the source unit, and feed that signal into the JBL amp, therefore bypassing all of the splicing and replacing. I would have to assume that even though the wires may not look like an RCA connection, that most likely that is the type of signal coming off the headunit and being sent back to that amp. Anyone else have some light to shead on this??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts