Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I usually have hitches in my car for carrying bikes. I don't like the other types of bike racks much and I already have a pretty good one to be hitched.

However, my current Rav4 Platinum has the power liftgate sensor right below the middle of the back bumper. The hitch center will be precisely in the same spot. I've been reading mixed info regarding the continued functionality of the sensor even after the hitch is installed. I can't dispense the use of the sensor, as my wife is usually with the car and with our 4 month-old (which means she's usually with her hands full when needing to access the trunk).

That's why I come to you guys: has any of you ever installed a hitch in a Rav4 with the trunk sensor? If so, how is it working for you?

Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Contact etrailer, they'll know if it can be done, foot activated trunks and hatches have been around a long time. On other vehicles with factory tow package the feature is disabled in customization, if you build a Platinum on the Toyota.com website, the tow hitch accessory option isn't available, that tells me that Toyota doesn't offer a solution, good luck.

https://www.etrailer.com/customer-service.aspx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hitch for Rav4 Platinum

Hi @albertobjr - Were you able to locate a suitable hitch that didn't interfere with the Platinum's liftgate sensor? I'm in similar boat....
Hey Klink,

The closest to be perfect one is this one:
Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2
(I can't post the link, but go to eTrailer and search this name)

I've got in an email thread with eTrailer and ended up having a long conference with their techs. They assured me it wasn't going to block the sensor entirely. It is by far the most complex to install yourself, but since the sensor is not really in the center (it is a tidbit to the left), the structure doesn't get in the way. You'll need to adjust where you kick a little, but after a week or so you should be fine.

Anyway... good luck!

All the best,
Alberto

1 - 5 of 5 Posts