Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody --

While I'm waiting for my ordered RAV4 to arrive sometime in February, I'm starting to look at options to beef up the lights. Ever since we've had two cars with HIDs on them, I'm spoiled and was disappointed that you could get HIDs on the Prius but not the RAV. I've been looking at aftermarket solutions online -- HIDs, Xenon bulbs, driving lights (to replace the fog lights), etc. What have people in the States done to get some more light out there while still being legal? I thought I heard it is illegal to put on aftermarket HIDs but not sure what the status of that is now.

Thanks --

Kathy

·
Registered
986 Posts
I too thought about upgrading the headlights in my Rav. I added a set of Hella fog lights and they work great for that first 50 feet in front of the car, which is nice in bad weather.

This topic has come up many times in previous Rav4 forums.

But here is the bottom line:

- All of the replacement bulbs that claim they are like HID are really not and offer only a slight improvment over stock. This slight improvement is offset by their cost and short lifespan. I have the Silverstars (which according to many people are the best of these types of bulbs), but after two years I still feel neutral about them.

- HID retrofit kits are stupid, not to mention illegal. They do more harm than good on the road because they cause too much glare with the stock reflector housings.

-The third option is to do a custom HID setup like Derek, where you either convert the stock reflectors into HID projectors or get the JDM projector lenses from Japan and add HID bulbs.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, Jeff. I'll look into what you mentioned. I also have the Silverstars on my VW and I don't think they make much difference. Perhaps a little, but not what I would call a significant improvement.

Kathy

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Kathy, I know what you mean about not going back to halogen headlamps. Once you've experienced real HIDs there is no going back!!! :lol: Everytime I have to drive my wife's 2002 Camry with halogen lamps, I comment to her that her headlamps do not appear to be working or that only the DRLs are on. :lol: :wink:

Your best bet to get HIDs on your 4.2 RAV is to retrofit some projectors from a donor car (such as BMW, Audi, etc.) and run an OEM ballasts and xenon bulbs. It is very time consuming and will cost more $$$ than you would want to spend, but well worth it. I am very happy with my setup and the performance of the projectors/HIDs.

If I am not mistaken, forum member SER02RAV4 is willing to do it for you for a price. You might want to PM or e-mail him about it.

p.s. Check out my webspace for my BMW retrofitted projectors:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/683136/3

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very sweet HID retrofit!!! I imagine that is quite pricey tho. Great job

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of our Team members (StromCrow) recently installed an aftermarket HID kit on his ridel

You can download the DIY document from our website (there is a link on the main page) 8)

www.rav4oz.com

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aftermarket HID's are illegal in some states but most cops probably dont even care since so many cars already come with factory HID's.

As for the glare that is caused by HID.... there is a difference between the kits that cause glare and ones that dont.

Notice that some bulbs come with a shield and others DONT. These are both H4 HID bulbs, these will fit on the RAV4's.

The set that Derek has are probably German made, which are D2S bulbs.. those bulbs are made for projectors.

from ebay.

Left is parents 4runner with 8000k HID also with the glare shield!
Right is my Rav4 with 6500k HID with glare shield!

·
Registered
986 Posts
You proved my point.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boy, I haven't had time to look at the forum in a couple days and just came back to even more great info. Thanks very much! This all makes me wonder if the Z3 I used to have with aftermarket HIDs (prior owner installed them) used the stock reflector or if they were modified for HIDs. Interesting. Well, looks like I have some homework to do before I consider doing anything like this.

Kathy

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanx Darek for reference :D Just lemme add a few things.

Any aftermarket HID kits are illigal in the states, period. Therefore you gonna have a hard time to get it, but it is still quite possible.

Most of aftermarket HID kits produce tone of glare. TO avoid it you should get d2r bulbs only.I have seen them only a few times and like them alot. The best way is to retrofit your halogen headlamps with HID projectors and get OEM HID set up, means to use d2s bulbs.

Quality of aftermarket HID`s are quite dufferent and they use rebased d2s bulbs.If you wanna spend $200-300 your HID kits will last only for several months.The best quality you can get from Philips/Hella (they do not make kits), Matsushita and Catz (both are hard-to-find nowdays). They run aprox. around $500+.Never buy anything made in China. Make sure that you gonna have bulbs with Hi-lo beams and shields. Usually kits don not contain shields, but you can get it if you worry about other motorists.

Toyota Japan (TRD) offers OEM HID set up as an option for rav 4.2 (JDM model only) as well as for 4.2-5 (made by Matsushita/Philips and has Hi-lo beams or Lo-beam for twin lamps). You can get both of them if you want to. :D

Cops usually dont care about your lights at all. But personal I wouldnt recommend go above 4100-6000K rating.

Any superduperxtreme bulbs couldnt stay close to HID.The regular halogen bulb produces around 1800 (SilverStar) lumens, but the HID bulb makes 3200 at once. Bigger K-rating(3200, 4100 (OEM style), 4300, 4700, 5000, 5700, 6000, 6500, 7000, 8000, 9000, 12000K), less lumens you`ll get (3000, 3200, 2800, 2400, 1870, 1750 lu etc). Also you can consider to look at the HIR bulbs for your fog lights, because they can give you 2400-2800 lumens instead of HID that completely doesnt work during the fog conditions (I was driving the other day during the heavy fog and I couldnt see even the edge of my hood, so I almost hit the big deer crossing the road, so I got additional fog projectors after that). Usuallu any superduper bulb lasts for 6-8 months, but original d2s/r lasts for 10 years and rebased bulb lasts for 3-7 years.

well, thats my personal expirience.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can covert your stock headlamps with a Hid conversion Kit. What it does is pour more juice into your headlamps and you use a different connecter for a real HID bulb.

http://www.hidexpress.com/

·
Registered
986 Posts
Those are the kits that will get you in trouble with the cops. You may get away with that stuff in big cities but not anywhere else.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah you're right jeff here in jersey just about every bmw and benz or such has HIDS. So it doesnt matter if we install these kits.

*Thumbsup*

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
SUVs and HIDs should not go together. Especially rigged aftermarket deals without a self leveling feature designed for the car like a factory setup.

It's bad enough when someone in a riced Civic has them, but up at SUV height.... :shock:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Jeff, you`re not right mate.This is a tipical aftermarket HID kit made in HK.It uses the Mitsubishi ballast and separate ignitors and they are not comfortable in installation.Also it has rebased d2s bulbs and they will give you lots of glare on the halogen reflectors. To reduce it you should get casper shields.
The HID kits dont attract cops attentions, cuz every day I drive thru MA and NH and never had any probs.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the leveling feature is on the oem headlights. You use a phillips to crank the beam down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts