Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how much it would cost to convert my non-powered liftgate on my 2017 RAV4 LE to a powered liftgate? Is it possible? Would it be cheaper if I take my RAV4 back to the dealer and trade it in for a Limited (which I probably can't afford unless I beg my mom for money).

I googled and saw that there are some kits, but I'd have to hire someone to do the work. I'm just wondering if it's possible to add to my RAV4. I use a walker to walk, and having to schlep my way to the back of the car, drag the walker out of the back, and then have to stretch to grab the door and pull it down is getting really annoying. I'm putting up with it because I love everything else about the car. Love how it drives, love it's backup camera, love the radio. I've already put aftermarket hand controls into my RAV, so I'm not bothered by having modifications done.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I installed aftermarket power liftgate to my 2015 RAV4 LE. It's plug-in and play installation. If you need more information, please e-mail me: [email protected]

If you cannot install it by yourself, you can ask local dealer. Very detail installation instruction comes with installation kits. I installed mine in less than 3 hours with video taking. I think that 2 hours should be enough for professional service people.

There is another feature you might be interested: Aftermarket blind spot monitoring (BSM). ....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I'll ask the saleslady that sold the car to me if their service department can do it, otherwise I'll be taking the car to the mechanic at the handicap van dealership. Their mechanic there is basically MacGyver. Not having the powered liftgate is starting to get irritating. I just don't have $12k to trade my LE for a RAV4 with more options on it. If I can aftermarket a powered liftgate for less money I think I can manage that.

I was having a lot of fun with my RAV4 today. My mom likes it when I take her out for rides around the city. Today I found a neighborhood about two miles from me that's not got any paved roads. Just gravel and dirt roads. So I had fun seeing how the AWD handles on gravel. I never could have done that with my old car (a 2012 Toyota Sienna handicap accessible minivan). My minivan would have fallen apart in the dips and potholes, or gotten stuck in the gravel and smashed the heck out of it's undercarraige.

The RAV4 is way more fun than that minivan. A lot more dusty now too. It has a nice patina of dust on it, need to get it washed. All my fingerprints that were on the back of the car are now covered in dust. Looks like a crime scene tech was dusting it for evidence.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Please email me. I'll send installation instruction to you. You can print it out, and show it to the local dealer, ask them if they can install it for you and installation cost.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can someone tell me what model has the powered liftgates?? Is it just the limited that has it??

I might be giving my sister (who really needs a car) my non-powered liftgate RAV4, and I'll be going to get one with a powered liftgate.

Hopefully I didn't make a tactical error by bringing it up with her before going to look at RAV's with powered liftgates.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome. That means I don't have to go as high in price as I thought I would, if I can find an XLE. I mean, I'd take a Limited, but if I can go cheaper I'll go cheaper.

Hope I can find one now. Not sure if I'll do the same color since my sister would be getting my Barcelona Red. I just don't want a white one. So now to find a decent color with the power liftgate.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Awesome. That means I don't have to go as high in price as I thought I would, if I can find an XLE. I mean, I'd take a Limited, but if I can go cheaper I'll go cheaper.

Hope I can find one now. Not sure if I'll do the same color since my sister would be getting my Barcelona Red. I just don't want a white one. So now to find a decent color with the power liftgate.
You can check here to see whats available in your area.

https://www.toyota.com/search-inventory/

2017 RAV4 XLE

I believe you need the
"Power Premium" Extra Value Package" to get the power liftgate

"Power Premium" Extra Value Package $1,740
includes height-adjustable power liftgate with jam protection, Smart Key System, 32 Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) 34 and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA), 48 roof rails, and Entune™ Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation 61 and App Suite 28

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check out on you tube CZ GU its the guys name you may have to put in 2015 rav 4 czgu and he has a few how to videos and i'm sure he shows how to install a power lift gate, the video is about 22 minutes long . hope this helps you out

·
Super Moderator
10,149 Posts
Well, we haven't heard back from Erin on this since last June so I hope she got it "sorted."
Over the years it has been heartwarming to follow her health battles as she goes thru them with various RAV4s - and as I recall a Sienna thrown in.
I hope all is as well as possible and wish her and her family the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts