Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be carry boats (whitewater kayaks) on the roof of my 05 RAV Chili. It has a factory rack but the crossbars are not wide enough for my needs.

Im looking into a Yakima Lowrider which mounts onto the existing raised rails (not crossbars) and removing the olds crossbars for the summer. The Yakima bars are 66" but Ill be cutting them down once I mount them to see the best fit.

Anyone have experience with this, or any other type of aftermarket rack that they would like to share?

p.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I can only comment that I had a Yakima roof rack back in the early 90's that I used to for road bikes. I thought it was well designed with quality materials. I still have it but don't use it any more. They have many different models to choose from. I don't think you could go wrong with a Yakima rack.

·
Registered
685 Posts
As an observation, I would leave the original crossbars on for added stiffening, maybe moving them between the added crossbars.........
I have a 15' Coleman canoe and have real reservations about putting it on the factory (flimsy) black roof racks, the tubular aluminum ones I see on occasional America RAVs look a lot sturdier. The 4.2s have a place above the rear doors where another rack support should go, but it isn't added....???? Is it available..???
The dead weight of the canoe doesn't worry me, but what it might do in a strong wind at 100-120 kms on the speedo........"and we have liftoff!!!" :shock:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too would like to know if there are racks that I could mount on the roof. My 16.5 foot kayak kind of teeter-totters up there when I hit bumps. Cross-bars are too close together.
Jim.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the Yakima bars I highly doubt that I would need the additional stiffening (or wind noise) from keeping the factory crossbars on. The bars are much much stiffer.

As for the distance between cross bars. With the Lowrider style attachment you'll be able to get maybe another in on either end of the factory installed rails but not much. Anything more and you'll have to exploe getting a raingutter / clip style rack which can mount further above the passenger's door.

Thanks for everyone's comments so far!

P.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts