Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, just wondering if anybody has ever measured the stub shaft spline diameter and counted the number of teeth? The factory torson are rare and not cheap used.

I'm looking to see if I an aftermarket lsd for an AE86 might work. Both are 6.7" ring gears. The ae86 had two spline diameters but same spline count. Carrier bearings are the same between the rav and ae86.

Hybrid stub shafts could be made, but the rav4 has non lsd stubs and lsd stubs available. I'm always looking to use oem parts when possible to reduce down time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey everybody, just wondering if anybody has ever measured the stub shaft spline diameter and counted the number of teeth? The factory torson are rare and not cheap used.

I'm looking to see if I an aftermarket lsd for an AE86 might work. Both are 6.7" ring gears. The ae86 had two spline diameters but same spline count. Carrier bearings are the same between the rav and ae86.

Hybrid stub shafts could be made, but the rav4 has non lsd stubs and lsd stubs available. I'm always looking to use oem parts when possible to reduce down time.
I've got a Factory Caldina GTT Torsen rear Diff, Full Drive Shaft and both rear half-shafts, including the entire rear subframe and running gear actually. You can build anything out of that. I'll be headed to Calgary next week, let me know if you're interested, and what it's worth to you.

I was going to build an AWD 3S-GTE Mini but that might take me a couple years.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What are you doing with your car to require LSD? Are you taking it off road?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you doing with your car to require LSD? Are you taking it off road?
Still working towards V6 swap (or 3sgte but still leaning to V6), but I want to sort out drive train before it see's any major power either way. Its going to be all street/ maybe some track if they ever build another one here:frown

Got most of the suspension parts awaiting install; koni f/r 3way's, f/r energy suspension poly's, addco rear swaybar. Still looking into springs with different rates (fronts too soft and rears way to hard)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am running 400-450 whp on my turbo Summit AWD. I have often considered converting it to LSD (currently, it is open), using Mitsubishi Eclipse rear end, but I am not sure if that is necessary. At the drag strip, I was able to get consistent low 1.6 60 feet times (stock street tires) and I can’t imagine getting much better with LSD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF_mD4-9u6k

In your case, you can lock your center diff for even better traction. I would love such option!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope to run it in some rallycross/ice cup events too. I guess I should clarify what I meant by "streets" with lots of nice mountain driving close here I should have said mountain road carving.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nothing you will do in street/legal driving will require LSD. It is when you step off road/ice where it should help. I was always in favor of LSD differentials and was really surprised just how well I did with my open rear diff. I think that the automatic recommendation/desire to have LSD is more mental, rather than practical ;) And I am new to this school of thought.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing you will do in street/legal driving will require LSD.
No I totally agree, its more for the rallycross/ice cup I'd need it, but winter time it would also be a plus (not that I have had any problems for the last 8 winters).

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've also fitted a Torsen diff case from a Celica ST
I imported just the diff case and stub drive shafts from a seller in Japan, this was then fitted into a second hand rav 4 diff from a 4.2. All went together perfectly including transferring the crown wheel teeth onto the Torsen diff case.
However it was only when I came to fit the differential that I realised the drive shaft flanges are a slightly larger diameter than on the Original Rav one :(
To get around this adapter plates were turned up on my lathe ( 7mm) and now the Torsen diff fits perfectly.
Luckily there is sufficient spare end float on the drive shaft splines to allow a narrow adapter to be fitted.
All in all it was an interesting project, see what it's like off road this weekend!
ImageUploadedByAG Free1443686921.892962.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So I measured up a 4.2 open diff stub shaft 25.0mm and 23 teeth on spline I'm going to use a better caliper to get more accurate measurement as it didnt go to .xx mm. I had the spline count for the AE86's but can't find it now must be at home. Will post when I find them.

AE86 zenki 24.11mm spline 23
AE86 kouki 25.04mm spline 23

96-05 Rav4 woLSD stub shafts 25.0mm spline 23
96-05 Rav4 wLSD stub shafts 26.096mm spline 24

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don't know if it's any help ! But the splines in the Torsen diff I got from the celica are defiantly not the same as a standard Rav4.1/2 diff. The good thing is that the oil seal journal is the same diameter

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't know if it's any help ! But the splines in the Torsen diff I got from the celica are defiantly not the same as a standard Rav4.1/2 diff. The good thing is that the oil seal journal is the same diameter
Thats good to know. Toyota has a different listing for the stub shaft when it has LSD. I thought it only had a different style retainer end as you can't remove c clip from the LSD carrier like the open diff. Looks like I have to order one up and count splines and measure it up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I used an st205 rear diff with the Rav LSD inner shafts.
Pics on page 3.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/82013-few-mods-my-98-2-door-3.html
Did you miss this ?

big update.

The wife and I installed the st205 torsen LSD rear diff today.
Everything went smooth for the most part, we had a little trouble replacing an axle seal, metal seals are tough sometimes to get just right.

pics

The wife.

non LSD Rav stubs vs LSD Rav stubs.
The non are a bit shorter and have a "C" clip instead of a snap ring for removal.

and now LSD :)

and done.
Just a recap, the 205 diff is plug and play with the Rav housing. The ring gears and the shims are the same. One of my Rav ring washers was actually broken so it was a good thing I had all the 205 bits with the diff. We just changed to the Rav LSD inner axle stubs because the non LSD Rav inners are different and the 205 inners have a slightly larger bolt pattern when bolting to the rear axles.

Bring on the rain, snow, sand, dirt, and the fun.

All that's left is a full exhaust so the Beams can breath better and some paint.

Reactions: KampungBoy

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't miss it, what I'm looking at are other options other than the torsen type lsd. I hope to use a clutch/plate lsd out of a ae86. Some are available locally at a decent price.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts