Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody get an aftermarket remote car starter? Don't feel like paying almost $500 if not necessary. Any recommendations on where to go?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got a DEI Hornet 564T Alarm/Remote start installed in my car. I didn't opt for the factory option either as the pitiful 80' range wasn't something I was interested in. Not when I can get at least 1/4mi with my DEI alarm :D

oh and P.S. I got it installed for ~$400

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

thanks for info. I've checked out circuit city's website, they have a remote car starter that would fit rav4 2006. It states that it is $199.99 and that includes installation.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Are you going to trust some high school kid working at circuit city to take apart your RAV and install your remote starter? You must be a braver man than me. My dealer had the head mechanic work on mine and he still had a hard time because there is so little information on the RAV.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Though I am skeptical of the Circuit City car alarm/stereo installers being a former employee of the stores, I must say they do have access to DEI's car datebase that tells them what color wire is which. My installer was a private contractor and downloaded the car's wiring skematics from their website and confirmed them all first before proceeding to do some work. Also doing some little digging, I've found that DEI does make bypass kits for most cars that have the electronic chip in their keys, in order to remote start those cars... So who knows more: a lowly toyota dealer mechanic who doesn't install alarms for a living, or a guy who does for a living AND has the database of the company that WOULD do the research into all new cars?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
So why should I want a remote car starter? Starting the car early and letting it warm up seems like a wast of gas and wear. This is very cold weather convience or?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
remote car starter

As far as why a remote car starter. Yes it is a nice perk. My current car's doors are always freezing shut when out over night in cold weather. Having a remote car starter to warm up the car for me so that I am not 2 hours late to work is worth it.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about hot weather? I never thought about a remote starter, but my Malibu Maxx came with it (as do many GM cars), and it does help to start to cool the car off before I get into it.

I also saw the pathetic 80' range of the Toyota system and wondered why they made is so low.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the pathetic range is prob cause the Keyfob's range is prob only 80' too. They need to take some pointers from car alarm companies and switch to the higher Mhz Frequency range for better distance and/or maybe mount an external antenna or possibly use the am/fm antenna to receive keyfob signals better...

Oh on side note, my last car had leather and it was nice to be able to heat/cool the car before i got in. Scalding hot seats in the summer and you're wearing shorts or butt numbing seats in the winter. So it'd prob make better sensefor those Limited type owners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts