Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Rotating the spare with the rest of the wheel on mine would appear somewhat strange, with the road wheels being alloys and the spare being a steelie. Also doing so means that one has to replace five tires rather than four if they wish to continue using the spare in a rotation scheme. Did you replace all of your wheels including the spare with aftermarket?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rotating the spare with the rest of the wheel on mine would appear somewhat strange, with the road wheels being alloys and the spare being a steelie. Also doing so means that one has to replace five tires rather than four if they wish to continue using the spare in a rotation scheme.
Agreed, but that’s why I titled the thread “after market rims”. But I suppose you could just get one extra OEM aluminum rim

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I have the Sport which has a alloy wheel in the spare tire but I never rotate it. Since I have winter tires I just rotate my tires when I switch back to my all season tires. All my tires will last for a long time since I put around 10,000 k/m (6200 miles) a year. Another problem is all 4 wheels are powder coated silver but my spare is not.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I never rotated the spare, even on my older Ford Explorer AWD. I have bough the RAV4 with the spare being OE tire (from 2011). I am not gonna attempt any rotation. And in the future will replace 4 tires, saving 20% on tire price.
I think rotation it's over-rated in today's tire technology. One rotation maybe makes sense, swapping the front with rear tires. I do that mid-way trough my usage.

But the second rotation? That brings back in front the same tires that were there initially. Only swapped the left with right. What's the advantage, is not like they got rubber growing back on them while on rear! Since we don't flip the tire on the rim, the previous "outside" of the tire will remain "outside".
The front tires will wear on the exterior on most of the cars equipped with McPherson suspension, due to the geometry simplification. No matter if the tire is on left or right...

On older diagonal tires, the bands got"shifted" inside while turning, so this made more sense. Relevance on modern radial tires? With Kevlar belt components, better rubber compounds? I don't buy it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To each their own, but rotating your tires maximizes their life. As stated in the title this is more geared toward those with after market rims and a matching spare. It’s really important when off-roading because you don’t wanna go from a good mud tire on a trail back to the stock slick spare.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't remember the last time I had a unidirectional tire on a car... :LOL:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts