Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to change my rims for quite some time, and now I think will. But in order to do that I want to know the specs of the rims for different sizes and different tires with out having to recalibrate my speedometer. Is there a chart of some sort that might have this info ?

ie. if I wanted : 17 inch SSR GT3 .. what is the offset and all that spec that I need, and the tire size....... all that info.

Not Tirerack.com please... that site only shows the sizes they carry, and Im sure there are lots more brands and a bigger variety of size out there.

these are the rims I want.. (pic from tirerack but I guess they dont offer this size for the rav4)

2001 RAV4 L 2WD

·
Registered
682 Posts
check out the tire calculator at www.1010tires.com
you can compare your stock tyre size with aftermarket tyre sizes and it tells you about speedo errors, overall diameters, rim width ranges for the selected tyre sizes, etc.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is another tire size calculator.
http://www.mindspring.com/~toy4two/tire.html

The offset you need depends on the width of the wheel. Tire-rack is actually a very good source. as they will NOT show you a wheel that will not fit on your car. If the proper bolt pattern, hub size and offset is available, and tire-rack carries the wheel brand, they will show it to you. If tire-rack doesn't show it to you, it's not a guarantee'd fit. (you might make it work, but it will be less than optimal for several reasons).

the stock offset is +42.
You can get away with an offset from 38 to 45 on a 7" wheel.
You can get away with an offset from 34 to 42 on a 7.5 wheel.
You can get away with an offset from 30 to 38 on a 8" wheel.

The width of your tires also affects fitment. 255 tires will rub with the wrong offset(+30), but will fit with the proper offset(+38). Heck, for that matter, you can make 235 tires rub with the wrong offset(+48).

Pick your desired tire size, then look for rims that will fit that tire, then post up the results, and folks can give you an informed opinion/decision.

Keep in mind, lower offsets move the wheel OUT. Higher offsets move the wheel IN. Moving the wheel OUT (and going with wider tires) increases torque steer, bump steer and scrub radius.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i like your taste... are these 17s? i'm still thinking if is hould just chrome my rims or get new sets.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
255/60/17 & 7*17 et 38

hello!

How about 255/60/17 tires and 7"17 et 38 rims.
I have Dunlop sp 5000 tires and I want but them on my 2001 rav4.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Hi Tommi,

Go to:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Input your present tire on the left,

Then what you want to change it too on the right

You will find the size you want will not meet the end Diameter of around 27.1 inches

Your tires will be too big at 29.04 inches.

255 / 50 / 17 would be the closest match.

Also, look at the Rim Range to make sure they fit on the 17-inch rim with Rim Width of 7 inch.

And if I did not forget anything, If you decide to go with something different also make sure the tires load rating is sufficient.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes i know at my tires are big, mut i think them may fitted.

I only want know what kind rims the tires needs.
If someone know right ET on that tires 7" or 7,5" or 8" rims.?

Dunlop 255/60/17 can use on 7" rims.

Sorry my bad englis language.

T:
Tommi from midle finland.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now i know that 255/60/17 tires will fitt whit 8*17 et 35 rims, no proplems.

Only motor light game on when i was drive about 10 kilometers. I don´t know hav tires someting to do whit that light.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well, I'm finally going to go buy my new wheels this week. But I'm torn again between two sets of wheels. Which one do you guys think would look better on my rav4 S??

This is the Motegi DP12. It was my long time choice.

This is the DP10 which I'm now more leaning to cause of its more aggressive appearance.

Which one would you choose for your Ravs? I'm going with chrome in 17x7 size with 235/55-17 tires. That'll just give me about a .3% speedo error. Not sure which brand of tires yet to choose either.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I like DP10. Changing wheels and tyres will make a huge difference to the way your RAV looks and drives. I recently upgraded to 18s and every change has been for the better :)

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Slayer, I personally think your first choice "Motegi DP12" are bolder.
For SUVs i think it works better.

I Can't wait to put on my 18" X 7" Enkei R6's soon!! :D

I still havent purchased my Summers thought.

What tires are you going with?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Oh man, and here I thought DP10 would be the clear cut choice. :D Yeah, the DP12 has that bold look to it which was why it was my first choice before out of all of Motegi's lineup. However, since I'm gonna be running my Rav in rallycross, I was thinking maybe it looked too subtle for that since it makes it look like a street cruiser type vehicle only? What do you guys think? As for tires, I was perusing around Tire Rack's website for hours yesterday looking at various opinions on different tires and it really only made me more bewildered as to what to get. I was looking at Geolanders first which were popular here. You know there is more than one type of Geolander series tires? :evil: :evil: Anyways, they didn't have the size I required, but Pirelli did. Right now I'm considering Pirelli Scorpion MS+A. At least, that's what I think it was called. It's supposed to be an all season performance tire if I remember right. That seems to be my first choice although I'm stll looking for alternatives at the site.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Oh ya I forgot you where running in the rally cross.

I originally wanted some SSR Competitions because they weigh just over 15 lbs. VS my Enkei’s around 22. I wanted the lower wheel weight for the street. But I eventually went for the better look of the Enkei R6’s.

But if you are going to Rally cross then you probably want the wheel weight anyhow.
Don’t you think going with the chrome your getting more street look, (Bling, Bling) like street cruiser look you where talking about?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, both rims have a bit of bling, bling look, but the DP12 has it more so than the DP10, imo. Plus, I figure that my Rav will spend more days on the street than in the dirt so I wanted a wheel that looks like it could go both on the dirt and street. I supposed I could've just gone with the gunmetal or plain silver color, but I just love the look of chrome wheels on dark colored vehicles. I think that's the last chrome accessory I'm getting cause it's the one thing that seems to be missing from my Rav in terms of balancing out the sst/chrome look. Like you, I thinking more of enhancing the looks of my Rav while I'm improving it. After this, it's time for the Weapon R intake and probably some kinda performance module. Then maybe I'm finally get some dyno numbers to see how much money I've wasted. :shock: :shock:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IMO, I believe more spokes on a wheel lean more toward luxury and less spokes lean toward sport.

In this case, the DP12 is more luxury and the DP12 is more sport.
(the DP10 is generally a split 5-spoke wheel)

I can't tell you how many times I've seen big bad SUV's and trucks with like 10 or 12 spoke wheels that just don't belong. Looks weird, I think.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts