Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there! I'm working on my girlfriend's 2008 Rav4 with the JBL system, and replacing the head unit. I ordered a Pioneer AVH-X2800BS, as well as the PAC RP4.2-TY11 to retain the factory steering wheel controls and all based on my research as well as a call to Crutchfield. They assured me all would work well. I've already replaced the speakers with some Rockford Fostage's and it already sounds much better, but this is the next step.

Anywho, the radio turns on and plays fine. However, there's no steering wheel controls now. Only one of the harness adapters on the PAC connects to the factory wiring - does that mean I have to cut off and solder wires to make the SWC work? Here's what I mean:

These are the remaining 4 connectors off of the PAC:

These are the only 2 other connectors in the vehicle itself, which none of the connectors from the PAC fit on:

Could anyone tell me what the next step is, or if Crutchfield sold me the wrong part? I greatly appreciate your time!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ones you received are for the non-JBL radio. Looks like Crutchfield screwed up and I am sure they can fix it to make it better for you.

Here is what you should have got (much more expensive harness than the regular ones):

Wire Harness Module for Toyota Lexus Turn on Factory Ampflier JBL Amp Radio | eBay
That's odd, because this was on their website and which is what they told me to purchase - would work and retain the factory JBL amp and SWC: PAC RP4.2-TY11 Wiring Interface Connect a new car stereo and retain factory JBL system, steering wheel controls, and aux input in select 2003-up Toyota, Lexus, and Scion vehicles at Crutchfield.com. Even PAC's website has it listed for the JBL system.

That looks like the Axxess TYTO-01 - and even that doesn't look like it comes with enough harnesses for input from the vehicle side?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I feel your pain...

That's odd, because this was on their website and which is what they told me to purchase - would work and retain the factory JBL amp and SWC: PAC RP4.2-TY11 Wiring Interface Connect a new car stereo and retain factory JBL system, steering wheel controls, and aux input in select 2003-up Toyota, Lexus, and Scion vehicles at Crutchfield.com. Even PAC's website has it listed for the JBL system.

That looks like the Axxess TYTO-01 - and even that doesn't look like it comes with enough harnesses for input from the vehicle side?
Just about to finish up (I hope!) a similar install on my 2010 w/JBL. Sorry I can not offer direct help on the specific parts and packages with which you are working, but as my post under "DDX9902S first impressions..." indicates, the 'adapter kits' and 'interface kits' are not always as 'specific' as I expected (this is my first time using such a kit). From my post: "...Turns out I had the wrong iDatalink/Maestro wiring diagram. Shows right make, model, year and trim level... but there are 2 versions of the instructions, and some major differences in wiring... Crutchfield tech support helped... they also verified (a) one of my OEM connectors will be left unconnected - by design; and (b) the T01 wiring package they specified (theoretically SPECIFIC to my 2010 RAV4 Limited w/JBL) actually includes a BUNCH of extra connectors, extra wiring harnesses and misc. wiring adapters that are not necessary for my install."

SO... in summary, your adapter kit may come with various parts and harnesses all of which may, or may not apply to your make/model/etc., and like me, you may end up not using all the OEM harnesses (like CD changer). But the Crutchfield tech support folks were able to help me straighten things out for the most part, and despite it all I was able to get steering wheel controls and just about everything (1 lighting issue left) else working in the end. If you have only talked/chatted with their sales people (that is who you get via online chat), try calling their tech support line... for me they were pretty helpful. And remember you do have 60 days to return to Crutchfield, so they have a vesting interest in helping you make it work. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your thread is very timely for me Carbon. I have an '08 Limited c/w JBL that I am replacing the OEM radio with a Pioneer AVIC 7100NEX. I have the PAC TATO (interface for the JBL Amp) and will be using SWI-RC (steering wheel control). I bought these parts from a audio retailer and the young guy that I bought these bits from seemed like he was on the ball.

You are ahead of me in your install. Trying to find the time. Here is a link to PACs TATO.

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=281&CategoryID=26

I don't have my radio out yet so I'm not sure, but i think the gear i have will do the trick. I'm still dry fitting this in my mind. I have to find the locale of some leads for my Pioneers' wire harness. You have 6 Connectors from the OEM radio??

-edit- just re-read your post. I'm not sure how many connectors you have.

Illegitimis Non Carborundum

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be calling Crutchfield tomorrow to get their advice. Thank you for that, PhatDaddy! I was going to do that anyway if I didn't get any responses. I didn't figure I'd need the CD changer harness and all that, but I thought one of those was for the steering wheel controls. Maybe not - and maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

Cowboylogic, I only have 3 coming out of the radio - one main harness, and two extra that don't fit into my PAC RP4.2-TY11, which leaves me with 4 extra connectors on my PAC - I thought one of those was the SWC. I temporarily wired everything together to see if everything worked, so maybe I missed a wire? There is a wire that says "Wired Remote Control" on the PAC that plugs into the radio with a 3.5mm plug (it is plugged in) and there is a blue/yellow wire that I need to figure out what to wire up to on the radio harness, that might be the missing step. I'll report back! I'm digging through the manuals and don't see anything that equates on the radio harness side to accept that connect other than an "Audio Mute" lead that says this on the manual: "If you use an equipment with Mute function, wire this lead to the Audio Mute lead on that equipment. If not, keep the Audio Mute lead free of any connections". That's about the closest wire for anything to do with steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks like you are giving me a peek into my future

I don't have my actual PAC harness in front of me at the moment but looking at the TATO manual it looks as if I have 2 connectors to place on vehicle connectors plus RCA plugs and I recall there was a Red bullet and a Black bullet connector. Don't know if this is helpful but I'll throw that info out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also have two RCA's on my PAC that I am not quite sure what they are for. Guess I'll have to figure that out as well, there's no mention of them at all on PAC's instruction manual, so I'll dig into that tomorrow morning. Thanks everyone, I'll report back!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also have two RCA's on my PAC that I am not quite sure what they are for. Guess I'll have to figure that out as well, there's no mention of them at all on PAC's instruction manual, so I'll dig into that tomorrow morning. Thanks everyone, I'll report back!
Again, my new HU and interface kit was different than yours, so this may be of little help (or these options may have been obvious to you... but they weren't to me), but on my Maestro kit after attaching the 2 (out of 4 provided) connectors that DID match up with my OEM wiring (and even one of those was attached via yet another short interfacing harness/set of connectors... to allow it to support either a 20 pin OR 28 pin connector) I believe the steering wheel controls were then handled via just a couple of additional 'data' wires direct from the Maestro interface box to the new HU - one of which was 1/8" audio-looking connector - and one which was a tiny maybe 4-5 pin connector, again direct from the Maestro box to the HU.
As far as RCAs on the interface kit, MY kit had total of 5. Two of them (L+/L- and R+/R-) per Maestro instructions connected to "low level outputs" of my HU... (and translated per Crutchfield, "Connect them to L & R FRONT outputs on the HU, and the retained JBL amp - from what I've heard mounted behind the right rear quarter panels somewhere - will handle distributing that signal to all the speakers").
There was 1 (yellow) RCA (bundled along with 4-5 wires) for the 'Backup Camera' - which my Maestro instructions said was up to me to figure out how/where to connect (I'll cover more about that in my complete write up on my system - in the end I used the RCA but not the additional wires).
That left 2 RCAs, which turned out to be the Maestro's attempt to retain my OEM AUX IN option. But my new HU, instead of AUX IN RCA jacks has an AV IN 1/8" jack (since it can also input/display video). So to keep the OEM AUX IN capability, I bought a Radio Shack adapter to go from those two remaining RCAs down to the 1/8" connector the HU had). That keeps the audio signal part and drops the video signal part of the AV IN my HU was asking for, but that kept my OEM AUX IN jack working for audio (and my new HU has other options for inbound video). Hope some of this offers SOME insight into possible connections for YOUR gear. And when it was all said and done I had a LOT of extra connectors and wiring left over from my interface kit - yet everything works fine, including steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thats good info Phatdaddy. These ARE universal kits (maestro & pac) we are using and are somewhat model (Toyota) specific. I anticipate having a connecter or some other lead not used left over. PACs TATO comes with and uses a different harness for plugging into its interface from the PAC SWC I bought. That means I will have an extra harness that came with the SWC left over.

It is sure helpful (for me) exchanging this info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, so I feel pretty stupid. There was a connector that I have no idea how I missed... and it plugged right in and everything works. I even called Crutchfield's tech support and he reassurred me that one connection would NOT be used, but 2 should be plugged in - the main harness, and the SWC. You will only need to use either the 3.5mm jack for SWC *OR* the blue/yellow wire, never both. So I fixed that, and everything is working fine!

Thank you all for your help - I'll be sure to hang around and learn more about the Rav4 world! I really do appreciate everything!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts