Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a v6 Black Limited wtih Side airbags and tow. My dealer couldn't find one with the factory sunroof. this car is to be delivered on aPril 10th.

I was thinking about it.... and has anyone had experienes with after market sunroofs...

I hear they can leak, but are there any other problems with them? Do they work exactly like toyota's.

I test drove a limited with sunroof. The sunroof switch has four functions. When closed, tapping the button. Moves the sunroof slightly. When Pushed all the way down the sunroof opens all the way. When opened, it will do the same feature but in reverse. i want to make sure it does that because on my wife's saturn, i must pull up and hold until the window closes. I want auto open and close!

My dealer also said, and added feature is that it's on a timer so when the car is off, It'll shut close automatically! After 5mins.

All this for 1235, He said that normally costs $1395. i told him that I was hoping it would be closer to the $900 factory. (720 invoice) it'll cost me an extra $510!

They said it has a warranty, but what if it leaks and causes damage to another unrelated part in my car. Would my factory warranty cover those damages cause by a bad sunroof install?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
your dealer is incorrect. the sunroof WILL NOT close after 5 minutes of it off.. typical dealer.

BUT it will work for a some time after the key is removed (if you use the button)

if you get an aftermarket sunroof installed the Toyota warranty will not cover it

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aftermarket sunroof is simply an bad idea... definetly not reccomended...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
flyingn said:
if you get an aftermarket sunroof installed the Toyota warranty will not cover it
Unless it's part of the car purchase. Anything on your car at time of delivery or on a "we owe" list at delivery carries the factory warranty.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I personally _hate_ sunroofs. I wouldn't mind a fixed glass panel with a sliding sunscreen, but in my experience regular sunroofs are nothing but trouble if you keep the vehicle for many years. Squeeks, groans, rattles, cable and motor problems, and leaks are not at all uncommon. They also eat into headroom.

If you really want one, tell your dealer to keep looking. DON'T go aftermarket - they can be much worse than OEM.

I had a Jimmy with an aftermarket sunroof, and the seal went bad. The manufacturer was no longer in business, and the seal was obsolete. Solution: glue the lid with silicone sealant. What a PITA!

John Davies
Spokane WA

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nouse4aname said:
flyingn said:
Unless it's part of the car purchase. Anything on your car at time of delivery or on a "we owe" list at delivery carries the factory warranty.
sorry but it doesnt happen that way. If sunroof is aftermarket, it will never be covered by toyota warranty.

You could have told dealer to install aftermarket sunroof, but it still does not go under toyota warranty.

Nothing that is not toyota part goes with toyota warranty.

·
Registered
652 Posts
John E Davies said:
I personally _hate_ sunroofs. I wouldn't mind a fixed glass panel with a sliding sunscreen, but in my experience regular sunroofs are nothing but trouble if you keep the vehicle for many years. Squeeks, groans, rattles, cable and motor problems, and leaks are not at all uncommon.

John Davies
Spokane WA
I think there's a black cloud over you (with rain). :D

Every car I've owned had a sunroof, some flip up and some powered, and I have NEVER had one issue with anything concerning the roof itself.......nothing. And I've owned all the cars for 3 to 7 years.

With one aftermarket roof I had, there was a problem with the headliner drooping from time to time but no issue with the powered roof itself.

With that being said I would recommend against an aftermarket roof.

lkwan is too hungry of a buyer (dealers delight) if he can't wait for the dealer to find the car he really wants. Who pays >$20,000 then immediately wants to put a critical option like a sunroof in?

I have a bridge to sell you in New York and it comes with a sunroof. :)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
spwolfx said:
nouse4aname said:
flyingn said:
sorry but it doesnt happen that way. If sunroof is aftermarket, it will never be covered by toyota warranty.

You could have told dealer to install aftermarket sunroof, but it still does not go under toyota warranty.

Nothing that is not toyota part goes with toyota warranty.
Well the dealer warrants it and matches the new car warranty. So there could be issues if you moved away.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I've always had sunroofs and have never had a problem with them breaking, leaking or anything else. Factory OR aftermarket. Currently have an aftermarket sunroof in my Subaru. Clean, professional install, quality name-brand (Webasto) product. Even better than the factory Subaru roof.

There are different models and sizes of aftermarket sunroofs, with different feature sets. You'd probably have to investigate your options there before agreeing to anything. Visit the shop that does the installs for your dealer and they'll be happy to show you what they do, how they do it and what a finished product looks like.

Re the warranty - mine is with the sunroof shop, not Subaru. That's what I would expect to be the norm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts