Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm based over in the UK and I'm posting here on behalf of my fiancee - she's just bought herself a black 2002 Rav4 and she's very happy with it indeed! :)

The only thing she doesn't like about it is (and I quote) "those bloody pink rear lights" :lol:

I've tried several searches but can't seem to find anything - she's after clear ones after falling in love with the JDM lights I used to have on my last car ('00 Celica).

Does anyone know of any aftermarket lights or are there none about?

Thanks,
Bob

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't think that there are clear ones out on the market. You can always tint them to make it look better. I've never seen any clear rear lights for Rav4 4.2...sorry :wink:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello

first timer here. If i was using a word that i shouldnt really use at this site, please alert me kindly. heh. newbie.
So um, i guess you are looking for a better looking tail lights...
I know that there are clear lights in the older model, which us Japanese ppl called it "Altezza Lights", but I dont think there is one like erzhik said. I smoked my tail light with heat safe spray paints, and me and my friends think it looks awsome. so i even did it to my bumper signal lights. it looks pretty good on black rav4 i guess. oh but um, one thing... its really hard to see the when its dark out side, and when your are tryng to back out. cuz the white light when you are backing out will be dimmed so bad... :(
becareful. you might hit something. or you can wait till some third company makes those "altezza lights", get it on ebay. got my accord one for only $15. lol i personally dont really like altezza lights tho... heh :wink:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Taillight bulbs

These are hard to find and not cheap ($15 each), but very bright - Polarg Lens Type, L-15 and L-16 (7440 and 7443). Thes are high quality CLEAR bulbs, not that blue tinted ones, with a lens built into the top of the bulb, which magnifies the light to make it 3x brighter when viewed from the top of the bulb (the guy behind you). I got them from http://www.upgrademotoring.com/lighting/polarg/lens_type.htm

The worse thing you can do is use blue tinted bulbs under an amber or red lens, especially the amber. The blue tinted bulbs work fine as backup lights and interior dome lights only.

You can use the Clear Polargs in the front amber and rear red lens.

For Headlights, I am using Philips Vision Plus H4, and Philips AllWeather 9006 Fogs.

[/url]

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Red Glass Bulbs

You might try using Red glass bulbs under the red lens to get a true dark red colored light. It's not as bright as using clear bulbs, but not that bad either. I've tried this on my RAV4.

Don't use those 'white' blue coated bulbs under your amber or red lenses. The rear reds look like purple and the front ambers are almost not there because of the lack of any yellow light.

Polarg make a 7440 and 7443 type bulb using a special red glass, not a cheap painted bulb. I have 7 of these red glass bulbs if you want to try them. I've replaced mine with clear bulbs, because they were slightly brighter than the colored glass ones. I've also got a pair of amber glass bulbs that produce a dark orange color in the front. Email me is you are interested.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any updates?

Just wanted to bump this one up... Has anyone seen clear taillights available for the 4.2 yet (either side of the pond)?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
please don't put that ugly altezza tailight, keep it stock. it looks ricey IMO.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm definitely the last person to try and make a ricer out of my RAV4 but I do like the look of some stock clear lights -- like the Lexus SUVs... which I think the RAV4 (2005) strongly resembles.

Gee, I wonder if anyone has tried to mess with people by swapping out the Toyota logos for Lexus pieces? I think that would be hilarious!

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Parkwaycruiser- you list 2 types of Polarg Lens, L-15 & L-16 which one`s do you recommend?
It seems they are the same all but 12V 21W & 12V 21/5W
:?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Polarg Bulbs

The Polarg L15 (7440) is a single element bulb that is used for the brake lights. The L16 (7443) is the dual element, that is used for the tail lights/signal lights. The L15 is also used in the front turn signals as well.

You would need 5 L15's and 2 L16's to replace all the bulbs.

The L03 clear 5w wedge bulbs can be used in the front side lights and one for the license plate. 3 L03's will work. I'm still waiting for the L08 backup blubs to arrive.

These are very impressive blubs if you have not tried them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re: hey you

franco90 said:
whats wrong with clear tail lights?
Aside from the fact that they're illegal in most states and can cause accidents from people startled by the bright, white lights in front of them?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Re: hey you

Wayne said:
franco90 said:
whats wrong with clear tail lights?
Aside from the fact that they're illegal in most states and can cause accidents from people startled by the bright, white lights in front of them?
I have red LED bulbs so far I never go pull over . I have correct color bulbs on mine , so I don't see how i am breaking the law

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have the same clear lights as Franco but painted mine red.
Anything that gets rid of the orange is good.
Clear/red lights would look mad on a 4.2 as well.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Altezza's

Hi all, Newly registered to this forum, been reading for quite a while tho, and a member of Rav4oz.com

Apparently we have to wait another 2-3 Months for 4.2 Altezza style lights. I emailed the following to a seller of Altezza's:-

"Hi, I have a RAV 4, 2003 model, i have looked everywhere for altezza style lights but no-one has them, Do you guys do them at all? Maybe i need some custom ones made, any idea where to get this done.
Thanks
Pete"

And i got this Reply:-

"Dear Pete,
No we dont custom make.
They will not be available until 2-3 months.

Thank you
Kind Regards, George"

So fingers Crossed for those people that want Clear tails.

Cheers

Pete

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
they don't make tail lights, and it's almost impossible to custom fabricate a nice looking tailight of quality, since i've looked into this... the only option you have is to find company that will custom fabricate LED board that fits the inside of the 04,05 clear red tail light.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the clear tail lights ONLY when the inner part of the tail light is carbon fibre inspired or is flat black. I would not go for the chrome stuff. But of course, there always has to be consistency. If your headlight inner part is chrome, so goes with your tail light. Same goes when it is carbon fibre inspired or flat black. Oh well, just thinking out loudly :roll:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: Altezza's

rav4orsm said:
Hi all, Newly registered to this forum, been reading for quite a while tho, and a member of Rav4oz.com

Apparently we have to wait another 2-3 Months for 4.2 Altezza style lights. I emailed the following to a seller of Altezza's:-

"Hi, I have a RAV 4, 2003 model, i have looked everywhere for altezza style lights but no-one has them, Do you guys do them at all? Maybe i need some custom ones made, any idea where to get this done.
Thanks
Pete"

And i got this Reply:-

"Dear Pete,
No we dont custom make.
They will not be available until 2-3 months.

Thank you
Kind Regards, George"

So fingers Crossed for those people that want Clear tails.

Cheers

Pete
Hi Pete, I f you don't mind, please keep us (or at least me) updated if you get news that the lights are finaly being made! I've been looking too and so far nothing! This should have been stock to begin with. PEACE!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts