Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my 2012 Limited V6 but am thinking of a 2017 Platinum (although that lesser horsepower has me somewhat concerned). I note that the Canadian models have not had factory installed TPMS in the 4.4 generation while my last of the 4.3's did. That is a pity in that I think TPMS is an excellent safety system. I doubt that the lack of a TPMS is a deal breaker so have been researching aftermarket products.

There appear to be two distinct types - the wheel mounted sensors and a external valve stem mounted cap transmitter; both have a receiver mounted within the vehicle. Scanning the forums I see several questions relating to the topic and aftermarket options, however I do not easily see someone who has actually installed a system. Myself I would prefer the valve stem mounted cap option as it would be more DIY in that you would not have to de-mount the tires to install the sensors.

Has anyone had any first hand experience with these type of sensors (particularly the valve stem mounted cap type) that you can share?? Specifics as to the make/model etc would also be appreciated.

Thanks - Brian (Victoria, BC - Canada)

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
As one who has the U.S-nanny state mandated TPMS system on my RAV and if I were you, I would be thankful that the system isn't required in Canada. Having driven for 50+ years without TPMS with no problems (I always check tire pressures at least monthly) and now having the TPMS and its occasional problems and often added expense at tire replacement time I would been pleased to have TPMS offered as an option, but not as a requirement.

However, there are threads about TPMS on this forum which can be located by using the Search box at the upper right of forum pages, including this one about aftermarket TPMS: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/97-4-3-exterior/88574-installing-aftermarket-tpms.html

·
Registered
248 Posts
Love my 2012 Limited V6 but am thinking of a 2017 Platinum (although that lesser horsepower has me somewhat concerned). I note that the Canadian models have not had factory installed TPMS in the 4.4 generation while my last of the 4.3's did. That is a pity in that I think TPMS is an excellent safety system. I doubt that the lack of a TPMS is a deal breaker so have been researching aftermarket products.

There appear to be two distinct types - the wheel mounted sensors and a external valve stem mounted cap transmitter; both have a receiver mounted within the vehicle. Scanning the forums I see several questions relating to the topic and aftermarket options, however I do not easily see someone who has actually installed a system. Myself I would prefer the valve stem mounted cap option as it would be more DIY in that you would not have to de-mount the tires to install the sensors.

Has anyone had any first hand experience with these type of sensors (particularly the valve stem mounted cap type) that you can share?? Specifics as to the make/model etc would also be appreciated.

Thanks - Brian (Victoria, BC - Canada)
I have a valve stem mounted system on two of my cars. My experience has been very good. Interestingly (humorously?) the system that I have used on both is Canadian made even though I'm in California. The company is Carchet and the product uses the valve stem mounted devices along with a 12v device that mounts in a lighter outlet in the car and displays the pressures for all four tires. It can be bought on Amazon for $99. There is also an audible alarm that can be set if one tire falls low, which has happened. I am using them on older cars w/o factory tpms, but I am familiar with factory systems as my other three cars have them (Rav4, 135i, Acadia). I liked the first one enough (I've had it for about 2 years) that I bought the second system for the other older car. I'm using one in a G35 and the other in a Subaru. I guess the good news is, I don't have a lot to relate, because they just work. I did, in the lighter car, feel the very slightest bit of wheel imbalance, (and I'm not really sure that it wasn't there beforehand) but I have lifetime balances for all my cars at Discount tire and that was remedied easily. I never noticed anything on the other. FWIW, I like the Carchet system, better than the factory systems in 2 of my 3 cars that have it from the factory because at any moment I can glance at it and know exactly what the pressures in each tire are. With the Toyota and BMW systems you know nothing until a tire actually goes low.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As one who has the U.S-nanny state mandated TPMS system on my RAV and if I were you, I would be thankful that the system isn't required in Canada. Having driven for 50+ years without TPMS with no problems (I always check tire pressures at least monthly) and now having the TPMS and its occasional problems and often added expense at tire replacement time I would been pleased to have TPMS offered as an option, but not as a requirement.

I'll second that! But, if you must have them, get the ones that show the pressure in each tire. Had that in my Buick and was awfully disappointed when my 2014 Avalon (and now my Rav4) just shows "a low tire". To me, when you start having problems with them, they are just a big pain!

Good luck!

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 RAV4. I installed the Rupse "for Toyota" cap system and like it MUCH more than the "idiot light" installed by Toyota. It mounts exactly in a blank switch hole and is +- 1.5psi, +-1degC temp. I put it to the left of the steering column and used the BSM connector for power. The indicator shows anytime the lights are OFF or DRL. When you put the switch above that, the indicator goes off, I haven't figured that part out yet, but it helps when it's nighttime. I found the system on Amazon for <$100US

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts