Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to this whole world of caring about cars so please excuse my lack of know-all, but after getting my 2020 RAV4, this forum has inspired me to venture into the world of aftermarket.

Recently, I purchased the KMC Bully wheels to swap with my 17in OEM wheels. First, I brought it to the tire shop and didn't realize I needed hub-centric rings, then I brought it back with the rings and my aftermarket lugs couldn't be tightened due to the lack of clearance space. I just bought another set so here's hoping they work.

The shop is also telling me that I need new sensor stems in order to transfer the original TPMS sensors to the new wheels. They're worried the stems will rip when removed from the OEM wheels. Fun fact - Toyota doesn't sell the stems apart from the sensor so I'd have to buy 4 new sensors for my already new car. Has anyone encountered this specific issue? and were the original Toyota TPMS sensors compatible with your aftermarket wheel?

I have a 2020 XLE with the rubber stemmed TPMS sensors. Please help! I'm at the end of my wits with this thing.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yeah, sorry about all that. Sounds like a series of avoidable misunderstandings due to things not communicated by your wheel dealer, or not fully understood by the wheel installer.

I was able to reuse my original sensors, and honestly my first guess is your tire shop is trying to get you to buy another several hundred dollars worth of sensors.

I would take it somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Also the shop should have told you what size hubcentric spacers you need to buy as well. Seems like they are not giving you the best service you need in this case. Dont let it discourage you as modding is fun. There are just some not so good apples out there.

Did you get just the ring that fits between the hub and the inner bore of the rim or is it bigger than that?

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also the shop should have told you what size hubcentric spacers you need to buy as well. Seems like they are not giving you the best service you need in this case. Dont let it discourage you as modding is fun. There are just some not so good apples out there.

Did you get just the ring that fits between the hub and the inner bore of the rim or is it bigger than that?
They were nice enough about it and one of the mechanics explained that I needed to get the rings after they started swapping the wheels - I ended up getting them on Amazon and I should be good to go with those. I just wish I knew before bringing it to the shop. You live and you learn I guess.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My shop transferred all the stock TPMS to the new wheelset. I'd get a 2nd opinion from another shop.
I've been looking online and it says you shouldn't reuse rubber stems so I'm not sure who to believe on this one...they told me to go to Toyota for just the stems, but Toyota doesn't sell the stems separate from the sensors. The shop I've been going to is just a tire shop nearby. Do you go to a shop that specializes in aftermarket?

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, sorry about all that. Sounds like a series of avoidable misunderstandings due to things not communicated by your wheel dealer, or not fully understood by the wheel installer.

I was able to reuse my original sensors, and honestly my first guess is your tire shop is trying to get you to buy another several hundred dollars worth of sensors.

I would take it somewhere else.
I was totally excited to do this, but it's really been a disaster. The shop seems ok, but they just don't have any experience with aftermarket mods - I might look for another shop, but I don't know of any aftermarket specialty shops near me. I'll have to hope that Google does me good.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 HYBRID LIMITED
182 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. You learn as you go when doing aftermarket mods. Doing research like watching YouTube videos and asking questions here can help a lot most of the time. I know some members here like Colonel have the patience of a saint. :)

I don't see why the tire shop can't swap the TPMS sensors from the OEM wheels. Maybe they lack the experience to do this? Also if they don't know that you need hub-centric rings then they don't do a lot of aftermarket. Don't feel too bad because I let a Toyota dealer put on my aftermarket wheels and the tech didn't bother to put my rings in even though they were in the hardware box they opened.

The lugs I used for my wheels are these. You don't have to buy the same brand but the base of the lugs have to look like that. TPMS sensors you can find someone to swap your OEM ones or buy aftermarket. Aftermarket will run about $150 for a set of 4 and you will need a tire shop to program them to the car which is another $40-$60. Transfering the OEM ones will save you the program fee.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 HYBRID LIMITED
182 Posts
I've been looking online and it says you shouldn't reuse rubber stems so I'm not sure who to believe on this one...they told me to go to Toyota for just the stems, but Toyota doesn't sell the stems separate from the sensors. The shop I've been going to is just a tire shop nearby. Do you go to a shop that specializes in aftermarket?
I think the advice is for when you change tires after they've worn out like at 60,000 miles or so. At that point you would want to invest in new sensors anyway because they do have batteries in them. Also the TPMS looks like this & there are service kits available.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 LE AWD
28 Posts
Correct, they specialize in aftermarket modifications. I told them what wheelset and lift kit I wanted so they ordered it and had the parts shipped to their shop.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 LE
121 Posts
Most TPMS sensor can be rebuilt, even thoght I have 185,000 hard driven miles on my tundra and have never had to rebuild or replace them. They should be able to re use the factory ones in the aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You don't want to reuse standard non-TPMS rubber stems, OEM ones are fine to swap around especially when new.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I feel like 100% of your problems have been because of the shop. I did my through discount/America’s tire. They immediately notified me with my order that I’d need the hub centric rings and different lug nuts, and ordered them for me. They also moved my tpms sensors to the new wheels.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone who gave their recommendations and advice regarding my troubles. After a total of 5 visits to 2 different car shops and the Toyota service dealership, I finally got the new wheels on my car. It took a while and I definitely learned a lot in the process. Ultimately, I brought it to a different shop and they were able to move my original sensors and I had no more complications in the process. Thank you all - onto the next project! (maybe next year...)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks to everyone who gave their recommendations and advice regarding my troubles. After a total of 5 visits to 2 different car shops and the Toyota service dealership, I finally got the new wheels on my car. It took a while and I definitely learned a lot in the process. Ultimately, I brought it to a different shop and they were able to move my original sensors and I had no more complications in the process. Thank you all - onto the next project! (maybe next year...)

View attachment 157506
Nice choice of wheels, Im doing the same set also. KMC/Discount tires site says fit but Summit Racing ($144 ea) doesnt. I'll just have Discount price match/install seems less hassle vs ship home/bring to shop. Plus Im always happy w svc at Discount. Still debating what to do w tires since my stock are new...bite the bullet replace all at once/cry once :)

So stock lugs dont fit?

Part#: KM70878012738
Finish: Satin Black
Size: 17x8
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.30
Backspace: 6
Offset: 38mm

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

View attachment 157506
If this is your first foray into modding...don't let this discourage you at all. "We" all have our stories first starting out.

Rims look nice on your vehicle. Time for tint! :LOL:

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 HYBRID LIMITED
182 Posts
Nice choice of wheels, Im doing the same set also. KMC/Discount tires site says fit but Summit Racing ($144 ea) doesnt. I'll just have Discount price match/install seems less hassle vs ship home/bring to shop. Plus Im always happy w svc at Discount. Still debating what to do w tires since my stock are new...bite the bullet replace all at once/cry once :)

So stock lugs dont fit?

If you're buying from Discount Tires they'll probably let you know to order an install kit with hubcentric rings & new lugs. You can also send them a message on the forum and they will answer pretty quickly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That set-up looks sweet. I'm having a similar issue. Trying to put Black Rhino Barstow 17x8 wheels on a 2020 XLE. My tire guy says no problem to switch the TPMS sensors, but he can't remove the rubber valve stems from the OEM wheels. Do you know how they resolved this? Like you said, you can't buy just the rubber stems from Toyota and apparently the sensor is not standard to work with any valve stem.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That set-up looks sweet. I'm having a similar issue. Trying to put Black Rhino Barstow 17x8 wheels on a 2020 XLE. My tire guy says no problem to switch the TPMS sensors, but he can't remove the rubber valve stems from the OEM wheels. Do you know how they resolved this? Like you said, you can't buy just the rubber stems from Toyota and apparently the sensor is not standard to work with any valve stem.
I brought my car to another shop and they were able to remove the sensors and stems from the OEM wheels. The second shop I went to had more experience with aftermarket wheels and made it work. I did buy another set of sensors just in case, but I was able to return them thankfully. Good luck - I feel your pain!

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

So stock lugs dont fit?

Yea - the stock lugs don't fit. I ended up ordering a set of acorn spline lugs from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0CC1U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I moved the tires from my stock wheels to the new wheels. After everything was done, I posted my OEM wheels on FB and sold them within a week (to my surprise). I'm thankful to be done and I'm loving the new look.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts