Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short, I am looking at replacing my factory wheels. I have summer and winter tires that I switch on and off the same set of wheels because every time I buy new tires I have never had the extra cash to get another set of wheels. I have the winter tires on the factory alloys right now, and I am thinking about getting a new set of summer tires along with a new set of wheels.

I want to stay with the factory size; I like like the look of larger wheels but I hate the treadwear and cost of the tires so I will stick to 16" for now. I drive 30K miles a year so you can see there is a significant long-term cost difference between a $200 tire that last 20K miles and a $100 tire that lasts 60K miles.

Anway, if I get the summer tires with summer wheels, I will keep the winter tires on the factory wheels and swap them off until next winter.

What are the packages and prices that you guys have gotten?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just picked up a set of Toyo summer tires mounted on 16" alloy rims on Ebay for $250. I'd estimate 3/4 tread left on the tires.

Good hunting! Pete

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK I think I will go with a set of 18's with an extra for the spare. Does anyone know if an 18" (with a tire that comes close to stock size overall) would fit on the spare mount?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Jeff, 18's look sweet on the RAV. :D

I was in a big rush when I bought my Summer tires and I had run into a Price/Spec/ problem and purchased the Ventus's. One year later Toyo came out with the Toyo Proxes 4 Tires :cry: :cry: ....

From what I have read, they are exactly what I wanted. All the features of my Ventus's but quieter/ better handling/ longer tire life.

Both tires have excellent water dispersal features and road grip that I really like.

Cheers,

Walt

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Oh ya forgot to mention the look of the rubber.

Some treads like my Ventus's really look hot on the car. :wink:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Jeff said:
OK I think I will go with a set of 18's with an extra for the spare. Does anyone know if an 18" (with a tire that comes close to stock size overall) would fit on the spare mount?
I cant see why not - as long as the rim is not a lot wider than stock....

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
My Enkei's have a 38' offset, the tires are almost the same diam at 235/ 50/18 and they fit on my rear mounts no problem. I had one on last winter because i don't have a winter spare. But even with my consont cleaning it corroded abit near chip marks. And the rim only experienced salt dust (not constant slush). The OEM;s have a far better paint finish than the Enkeis.

Cheers, Walt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts