Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Aggressive Rav4

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  sajohnson 
#1 ·
In my endless search for a soft top, I run across many listings online and this Rav4 is pretty aggressive looking. I really like the styling.

For those near Portland Oregon looking for a rav....this might interest you. Link probably wont last long though.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/6199859060.html

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm actually considering purchasing this one. It'd be my first RAV4 and second Toyota.

Should I be scared of the high mileage or the engine swap? I'm not a mechanic and can't afford to be working on this all the time.

But I do commute on dirt roads and there's snow in the winter and let's be honest, this thing looks cool. Should I buy or stay away?

#7 ·
With any older vehicle there will be some problems. Less on average with Toyota than most other brands but still, you should be prepared to do some repair work (or pay to have it done).

For example, right now our RAV4 has at least 3 problems:

* Valve cover gasket leaks.
* Leak from rear diff.
* Front passenger door stuck closed -- locked, cannot unlock to open, so cannot remove panel to work on it.

None of the above is keeping us from driving it, but they are things I need to address.

The seller says he has paperwork and that the engine was replaced at a professional shop. If that's the case I'd see that as a plus vs a 1997 RAV4 with 200K miles on the original engine.

He says "fresh trans fluid", so it has the auto trans -- which means it's really ONE wheel drive (1WD). There is no locking center diff (and presumably no Torsen rear diff). Quick story:

Back in 1996, when we were considering buying a RAV4, my wife and I test drove one with a auto tranny. We wanted the 5MT, but that's all they had on the lot, and I figured we could still learn a lot from a test drive (and then order one with the manual). It was parked on the grass. We got in, and I started it up and put it in drive. Nothing. No movement. I checked the parking brake, it was off. I pulled the shifter down below "D" to make sure it was in gear. No go. We opened the doors and looked at the tires. 3 were stationary and the right front was spinning! It was over a small depression so it didn't have as much weight on it. Torque takes the path of least resistance.

So the 3AT RAV4 was (still is?) really 1WD.

The 5MT w/o the Torsen is 2WD (with the center diff locked), and the 5MT with the Torsen is 3WD -- well, up to the point where there is too much difference in traction between the rear tires.

I mention the above because you said you drive on dirt roads and snow.

#6 ·
I love spending OPM! :wink

Seriously, from what the ad says it sounds like a good deal -- if the ad is truthful.

I mean, $2,600 is just a few months worth of car payments. If it only runs for a year it's worth the money.

Not sure what he means by "tires will need room".

Our 1997 has about 160K miles and I just replaced the exhaust the other day! 20 years on the original exhaust -- in Maryland. Bosal parts from manifold cat back were $460 on Amazon.

A while back I replaced most of the A/C components -- comp, cond. coil, filter/dryer. That stuff lasted about 18 years.

There is very little rust, except for some reason, the lower control arms. They're still solid but look like crap.

In short, these things are built well and run for a long time.

One thing -- with the brush guard stuff, and being in Oregon, it might have a lot of off-road miles.

Good luck!

#10 ·
All I can say is, if it does it is weak. I mean, getting stuck on level grass outside the stealership? That's pathetic. There was a very small dip under the right front tire, but it wasn't in mid-air, not even close.

I had a similar experience with my 2002 Subaru WRX. Subaru is known for AWD, and they make some good systems. They also make some lame ones. My 5MT WRX has a viscous coupling unit (VCU) in both the center and rear diffs. The problem is, they do not transfer much torque.

I first realized there was a problem when I got stuck (OK, not really stuck) on our driveway because the 2 rear tires were on ice and the 2 fronts were on dry pavement. "From the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip", right? Not so much, actually the exact opposite. The rear tires spun and the WRX actually rolled backwards!

After that, I did some makeshift tests at home, including one where I placed a 2x4 flat in front of the front tires and jacked the rear end up off the ground (using a floor jack). Then I attempted to drive over the small 1-1/2" obstruction. Nope. The WRX kinda tried but couldn't go over the board.

I took it to the dealer I bought it from, hoping they would find something wrong. When I told them about my test, I could tell they didn't believe me. They got a brand new WRX of the lot with the same AWD system off the lot and recreated my test in their shop. The new WRX failed miserably. The dealership also sells Fords, so of course the Ford techs got a big kick out of it.

The bottom line is, all AWD systems are not created equal. Some are very good, while others are little better than one wheel drive (1WD). Just because there are stub axles going to all 4 wheels does not mean a vehicle has true AWD or 4WD. Most "4WD" trucks with a transfer case and low range are really 2WD -- one in front and one in back. There are very few _true_ 4WD vehicles. Traction control has become very popular, and it works to an extent, but it's not the same as a good AWD or 4WD system -- because it relies on braking the wheels that begin to spin. So the brakes are being applied when you are trying to go forward, and in off-road situations, or on snow & ice covered pavement, the brakes can overheat. Then the traction control shuts down and you have...1WD.

Buyer beware. IMO, vehicle mfrs should be required to put the _actual_ minimum number of drive wheels on the window sticker.

#11 ·
I have literally ROCK CRAWLED with my central differential locker. I have BFG All Terrains... I have YET to see limit of this vehicle.

I am planning to take it to MOAB top of the world trail this year. Just been busy getting settled in new house in Nashville otherwise I would have done it by now.

I have 249k miles and I have never been stranded anywhere. Normal maintenance has been done. Only major issue was that it needed steering rack system as it was leaking.

It burns oil and really is that bad at 249k miles. LOL !

#12 ·
Our RAV does very well, but one major drawback of its AWD vs 4WD systems is that it has no low range.

Don't get me wrong, the RAV is decent off-road, but there is really no substitute for a transfer case with low range. Where we live we don't need it, but it is a requirement for really rough off-roading.

For everything else though, our system is great. With the Torsen rear it is a true "3WD" (high range) system. That's more than many "AWD/4WD" vehicles can claim.

PS: In your signature you have "CDIFF". What does that stand for -- center differential?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.