Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My air con has been trouble since the first summer I had it. For the first summer, it wasn't powerful enough and they had to recharge it.

Next summer, it didn't work and they had to recharge it again. They put some die in there to look for the leak but couldn't find it when I brought it in 2 weeks later.

NOW, it's another summer, and the damn thing doesn't work.

I called and all they can say is that they will continue to try to find the leak but can't do anything else about it. As in they will not replace the whole unit because it is simply not feasible. And finding the leak will require me to go in every few weeks so they can look for a stain from the die.

They eluded to the fact that if my warranty runs out, it'll be my problem and so I should bring it in "as soon as possible" so that they can find the leak.

Very unhappy! I paid 30k+ (CAN) for the car and I have a faulty air con unit...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Welcome to R4W!!!

I'd try another dealer if there's another nearby.......doesn't sound like they're putting a lot of effort into it.......in spite of the fact that they get paid by Toy Can for warranty work..... :roll:

BTW....how about putting your province and year of RAV in your profile so it shows up on the left...... :wink:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello,

I had ac problems since I bought my rav4. I took it to 5 different dealers in two different states, they all could not find the problem and gave me bogus stories. It took a non-dealer to find the problem. There are two weird valves in the system that apparently was not taken out at the factory causing a leak in the system. You might mention this to your mechanic. They look like needle valves. It is now finally working as it should have from the factory.
I am very disappointed in Toyota service, they have seemed to have gone down hill.
Justin

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a similar problem with my system, dye checking, etc. What they found was that when I had (ahem) rear-ended someone, and that slight impact wrecked the condenser. The teeny-tiny pipes that feed the system are right behind the front grill, and there are BOLTS that whack them and compromise them at the slightest impact. My insurance company had to pay for it. Toyota took forever to identify it, and then I had to go my insurer anyway.
I love my RAV4, but to have the air conditioning tubes so vulnerable is a design flaw.
:evil:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts