Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow RAV-ers!

I have searched high and low, and I cannot easily find the specifications for the Air Conditioning system pressures on the low and high end of the system. I live in Las Vegas now, and, of course, it's friggin' hot this summer. I wanted to diagnose the system and make sure I was at specifications.

I bought myself the A/C R134A Manifold Gauge Set from Harbor Freight (my favorite toy store), hooked the thing up in a snap, and took my readings. As I understand it, ambient temperature plays a part (higher temp, higher pressure), so the specifications would just be baseline anyway.

I don't know if the service manual offers this information, but I haven't found a copy to check either. I thought one of you fine folks might be able to have a peek and report back.

Thanks in advance!

- Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It looks like I might have found the correct portion of the 2006 service manual (page AC-168). This, of course, assumes the 2006 manual works for the 2009. I'd appreciate a confirmation from someone else!

This section details Refrigerant On-vehicle Inspection. The first subsection directly addresses inspection with a manifold gauge set. Normal readings are as follows:

Low Side: 0.15 to 0.25 Megapascal (MPa; or 1.5 to 2.5 kgf/cm2)
High Side: 1.37 to 1.57 MPa (or 14 to 16 kgf/cm2)

Of course, you can use Google to do a conversion to PSI if that's more readable on your manifold gauges:

Low Side: ~22 to 36 PSI
High Side: ~199 to ~228 PSI

There are diagnostic scenarios provided in this section of the manual as well. Again, I'd appreciate if someone will corroborate these numbers with me, but I hope this helps in the interim!

- Dave

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Low Side: 0.15 to 0.25 Megapascal (MPa; or 1.5 to 2.5 kgf/cm2)
High Side: 1.37 to 1.57 MPa (or 14 to 16 kgf/cm2)

Of course, you can use Google to do a conversion to PSI if that's more readable on your manifold gauges:

Low Side: ~22 to 36 PSI
High Side: ~199 to ~228 PSI
Dave, did the manual indicate what ambient temperature range applies to these readings?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave, did the manual indicate what ambient temperature range applies to these readings?
Here are the test conditions indicated in this section:

INSPECT REFRIGERANT PRESSURE WITH MANIFOLD GAUGE SET
This method uses a manifold gauge set to locate problem areas. Read the manifold gauge pressure when these conditions are established. Test conditions:

• Temperature at the air inlet is 30 to 35°C (86 to 95°F).
• Engine is running at 1,500 rpm.
• All doors are fully open.
• Blower speed control switch is at HI.
• A/C switch is ON.
I'm guessing this implies the ambient temperature should be between 86º and 95º F. That's, literally, the only mention of temperature in the section.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts