Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few times now, when I have started my new Hybrid limited the AC has come on, much to my dismay. It is winter and very cold, so why does this happen? I have my temperature set to 76 and it is on auto. When the AC has come on, it has been very cold out, and the last thing I want it to do is to cool anything! It isn't a huge deal as I just turn off the button, but I would like to understand why it does this. Of course if there is a way to prevent it from happening I would love to know how. Does this happen to others as well? Thx.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The light being on does not mean that the compressor is running. Just that the automatic system is allowed to use it if need be based on your temperature setting. Every auto climate system I've owned is setup like this.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
If the defroster is running, the compressor will run to dry the air and keep the glass clear.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If the defroster is running, the compressor will run to dry the air and keep the glass clear.
in addition, would you like to try setting the temperature to hot and put your
vent off the defroster? and make sure AC is off?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
As previously stated, most heaters/defrosters in "modern" cars will do several things: if the setting is on full defroster, not the defroster and the lower vents, the AC will turn on to dry the air inside the car that is contributing to the "frost" (moisture) on the inside of the car windows. If your air source button is on "recycling" rather than "outside air" it will switch it to "outside air" to prevent the moist air in the cabin being recirculated adding to the window fogging problems. This is on most cars with the button-activated systems and would be hard to do with the manual lever systems, like in my CUTE 1997 2/3 door. The 2005 does have this feature. And, yes, if the light for the AC is on, the AC is usually on.... Has the AC button been accidently pressed?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
My '15 XLE AWD does the same thing - it's normal. Nothing's wrong with the HVAC system in your RAV.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone who replied. It happened again this afternoon and I still don't understand why. See my pictures to show that 1) it is cold outside and the air is very dry and 2) I let it go for a while hoping it would automatically turn off the AC but it didn't. The fan shows that it "warmed up" and yet the AC light is still on. I really can't see how that is good. Isn't it just unnecessary running the compressor and causing more gas to be used lowering my mpg? Also, since it is cold and dry in the car, I really don't want any more cold air being blown on my feet!

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
We always leave the AC on both in summer and winter, all we do is alter the required temperature.
We get hot air in winter, but turn the "recycling" off so it doesn't cause the windows to steam up. In
summer we get cold air and to help keep it cold we use the "recycling" again.

So having said all that I am a little confused as to why after a short time the OP doesn't get warm air.

Oh I forgot to add that our cars fuel consumption rises at such a minuscule amount that it's not worth even bothering about and our only income is from a pension. :D

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I really can't see how that is good. Isn't it just unnecessary running the compressor and causing more gas to be used lowering my mpg? Also, since it is cold and dry in the car, I really don't want any more cold air being blown on my feet!
The hybrid system uses a variable speed electric compressor. Even at its lowest speed its barely using any energy, and in cold temps its not running at all. With the car in ECO mode, it runs even less. But if the A/C light is off, (as in you turned it off), the auto HVAC system does not have the use of the compressor for defogging and the like.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The light being on does not mean the compressor is running. It just means that the automatic system is allowed to use it if your temp setting calls for it.

The light does not cycle on and off based on whether it is using it as you seem to be expecting.

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
There are settings in customization that turn the Auto AC on and off, the outside air switch is Techstream only tho.

Automatic
air conditioning
system*1
(P. 306)

A/C Auto switch operation On Off

Switching between outside
air and recirculated
air mode linked to “AUTO”
switch operation

On Off — O

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just writing to thank you for the information on how to change the Auto AC setting.

This was one of my main complaints (along with Entune not remembering what I had it set for) as I rarely use the AC.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are settings in customization that turn the Auto AC on and off, the outside air switch is Techstream only tho.

Automatic
air conditioning
system*1
(P. 306)

A/C Auto switch operation On Off

Switching between outside
air and recirculated
air mode linked to “AUTO”
switch operation

On Off — O

So, what exactly does this setting mean? If you have it set to off, if you hit the Auto mode, it will not bring on the AC and you must explicitly select the AC button if you want that? Has anyone tried setting this to OFF to see how it works in real life?

It is interesting that this customization exists. Some have suggested that having the AC on doesn't really effect anything (gas mileage, performance, etc.) but the fact that they provide this at all to me indicates that perhaps it might.

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
I've had mine set to off in the 2015(Techstream only IIRC) and the 2016 Hybrid, the AC button light doesn't come on unless I hit the button, it doesn't turn the light on in Auto.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts