Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
air conditioning not getting cold any advice on what it might be please. Thanks Twizz :lol:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can you verify if the compressor is coming on? If its not, then there's a good chance you refrigerant charge is gone....usually a leak in the system (condenser or line fitting maybe?). The system wont turn as a safety precaution so as not to destroy the compressor. Find the cause of the leak, fix it and recharge the system and it should be ok. If its more then like 7 or 8 years old, a smart move is to replace the receiver/dryer, its fairly cheap and the difference it makes is night and day(when compared to the old receiver/dryer).

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, But how do I now if the compressor is coming on?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Twizzel said:
Thanks, But how do I now if the compressor is coming on?
When it (the clutch) engages you should hear a distinctive "click" and the engine rpm will drop for a brief second and then increase about 200-250 rpm. Another way to see if its working is to have someone else turn the A/C on and you look at the compressor to verify if its running, remember the compressor's belt is gonna turn in relation to engine rpm...but what your looking for is to see it the inside portion of the pulley is rotating or not and this maybe seen easier if looking directly at it(you may have to remove the right side splash shield).

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Advice got it booked in for thursday regas takes 1hr & £55.00

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Twizzel said:
Thanks for the Advice got it booked in for thursday regas takes 1hr & £55.00
You got a good price there - I know someone just paid £80 and thats good.

Don't let them talk you into parts - running out of gas really is dead common and it is most likely to be absolutely fine when done.

Be sure to run the aircon every now and again all year around to keep the gas in

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all, all done £50. + vat was adviced to run A/C every 10 days all year round to stop the seals drying out, it was last regased in 2002. :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Twizzel said:
Hi all, all done £50. + vat was adviced to run A/C every 10 days all year round to stop the seals drying out, it was last regased in 2002. :lol:
not hard to do in florida
and greeting all my new british friends

David Hardingam from Florida usa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts