Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find answers to these questions in the manual (yes, I really did read it!).

Why is there a button on the dashboard for micro-filtration? Isn't the cabin air always being filtered? If so, what does this button initiate?

What is the purpose of the small horizontal vent on the top of the dashboard? It seems to be only half open, isn't pointing at the windshield (so no use for defrosting), and doesn't seem to add anything that the other dashboard vents can't do.

p.s. I am a new XLE Hybrid owner. I spent a lot of time viewing posts in this forum before I bought my car and found a lot of helpful information. Thanks to all for contributing.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I couldn't find answers to these questions in the manual (yes, I really did read it!).

Why is there a button on the dashboard for micro-filtration? Isn't the cabin air always being filtered? If so, what does this button initiate?
Actually that is covered in the manual. Its just a temporary "full recirc" mode that shuts itself off. The regular recirc mode is actually only 80% recirc. This is full recirc (which the law says is not allowed to be on all the time)

What is the purpose of the small horizontal vent on the top of the dashboard? It seems to be only half open, isn't pointing at the windshield (so no use for defrosting), and doesn't seem to add anything that the other dashboard vents can't do.
Also in the manual. ;)
That's supposed to blow at the rear seats.

FWIW, check out the "pictorial index" in the front of the manual. Its a quick reference to most things.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this information.

I never knew that "recirc" is only partial. I would think that most people expect no outside air when choosing this, but nice to have the option for "full recirc."

I must say that the dashboard vent is a little wonky since you can accomplish the same thing with the vents on the front of the dash. And isn't there under-seat heating for the back row?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Thanks for this information.

I never knew that "recirc" is only partial. I would think that most people expect no outside air when choosing this, but nice to have the option for "full recirc."

I must say that the dashboard vent is a little wonky since you can accomplish the same thing with the vents on the front of the dash. And isn't there under-seat heating for the back row?
The recirc thing is federal law, you can't let people gas themselves sitting in a parked car. I agree on the rear seat vent, although its always nice to have another vent on a hot summer day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts