Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend an air mattress for a 2014 LE. I'm looking for one that can be used with the back hatch closed and will fill up as much available cargo room as possible. I'll be traveling the Canada and the US over the next month and want to have the option of sleeping in my car as a plan b. Thx in advance!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
As far as I know, air mattress are only available in "standard" mattress sizes (Queen, Double, Single, etc). Although there may be some shorter versions available in an outdoors store.

Without knowing the size of the 2014 cargo area, I don't know if any of these would fit.

I would suggest using a foam pad that is custom cut to fit the area. The foam will also insulate you better from the cold floor, and it also doesn't conduct the heat from your body like air does. Depending on your body weight, a 2-3" piece of foam should give you good support.

You wouldn't have to roll up the foam each day to travel, just leave it in place. Any cargo that you place on it will sink in to within 1" of the floor so no serious cargo space is lost.

BTW I see you are in California, do you know that it gets fairly cool in Canada over the next few months. You will probably want to also have some kind of tent heater rather than leaving your engine running. That will prevent you from waking up dead either by asphyxiation or by being frozen solid.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
As far as I know, air mattress are only available in "standard" mattress sizes (Queen, Double, Single, etc). Although there may be some shorter versions available in an outdoors store.

Without knowing the size of the 2014 cargo area, I don't know if any of these would fit.

I would suggest using a foam pad that is custom cut to fit the area. The foam will also insulate you better from the cold floor, and it also doesn't conduct the heat from your body like air does. Depending on your body weight, a 2-3" piece of foam should give you good support.

You wouldn't have to roll up the foam each day to travel, just leave it in place. Any cargo that you place on it will sink in to within 1" of the floor so no serious cargo space is lost.

BTW I see you are in California, do you know that it gets fairly cool in Canada over the next few months. You will probably want to also have some kind of tent heater rather than leaving your engine running. That will prevent you from waking up dead either by asphyxiation or by being frozen solid.
Sounds like you've been-there-done-that!>:D

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but I have a 3/4" aircraft sealed cell pad on the floor overlaid with thin insulating bubble (survival) blanket, and use a mummy type of bag. I do not mind the trade-off between sleeping in a smaller space and staying warm. Sleep naked or nearly. Moisture is your enemy in sub-zero temps.

A tent heater is a good idea. For one, you won't likely wake up with heavy frost over the insides of windows.

(I have military polar survival experience.)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I used to go moose hunting in October, and would sleep in a tent trailer, or the back of a pickup truck (with cap).
I found that an "Emergency Blanket" from Canadian Tire was great to sleep on, if you were looking to stay warm.
I never used a supplemental heater, but ambient temperatures were around 20 F.
If it gets really cold, you could try Holiday Inn.

Survive Outdoors Longer® Emergency Blanket | Canadian Tire

Rick said: "...do you know that it gets fairly cool in Canada over the next few months..."
"Fairly cool" in December-March can equate to -20 (minus twenty)F. Be careful.
Stay away from propane heaters. They kill campers and hunters every year.

·
Registered
253 Posts
shouldnt this be in the 4.4 forum?

Yeah, but it's illegal to kill people.

·
Super Moderator
10,134 Posts
Moved to 4.4 Interior. Sorry I missed it when I read it the other day.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'd just use a down filled sleeping bag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts