Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to increase the psi of my Rav4 2017 SE hybrid from 32 to 35 all around. That in order to help get better mileage on a long treck to Florida and loaded. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
That shouldn't be a problem, but remember as the ambient temperature increases, so will the tire pressure. Tire pressure increases approximately 1 PSI every 10 Degrees F.

So if its -10'C here (14'F), and 75'F in Florida, a 61'F difference, the tire pressure will probably be 6 PSI higher than the pressure you left Ontario with.

Increasing pressure much higher than your suggested 3-5 PSI will cause a jarring ride, a little more wandering on the highway, and a little more wear in the center of the tread.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
You can increase the tire pressure to the maximum inflation pressure embossed on the tire sidewall and that should give the best mileage. But as Ricki notes you most likely will not enjoy the ride as that pressure.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Your low profile tires will have almost no unusual wear due to higher PSI. I've run mine at 40/39 for 15K miles now and wear is completely normal. I can't detect any difference in ride either, because again the low profile type is harsh from the start.

Increasing from 32 to 35 will have almost no impact on MPG though. And even less on a highway trip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts