Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. We seem to have 2 problems.
When using the 2nd key to lock and unlock the cat the central locking is not working, the switch on the door works ok.
When using the key with the buttons on it locks and unlocks all doors but if it is windy or truck goes by it sets the alarm off.
Also if locked with remote it has to be unlocked with it because using other key the alarm goes off.
It is my girlfriends car but we both use it so need to get some more keys but need to sort out the problems first.
First choice would be disable the alarm so either key would work so herself could have the remote locking but I could still use the car or have the central locking on the other key.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Have you replaced the battery in the key?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
When using the 2nd key to lock and unlock the cat the central locking is not working
According to your profile you have a 2000 RAV4 (your post is in the 2001-2005 section). According to the owners manual, only the drivers door will unlock when you turn the key once. Turning it twice in succession will unlock all doors.

When using the key with the buttons on it locks and unlocks all doors but if it is windy or truck goes by it sets the alarm off.Also if locked with remote it has to be unlocked with it because using other key the alarm goes off.
I saw no reference to remote locks in the owners manual. It looks like you have an aftermarket alarm and key-less entry system added. So if you lock the door with the remote, the alarm system is armed, and opening the door with a regular key appears to be an unauthorized entry and the alarm goes off as it should. There is probably a sensitivity settings to reduce the false alarms.

First choice would be disable the alarm so either key would work
That is probably a good idea. Perhaps the remote fob has the name of the alarm company and you can Google for an instruction manual to learn how to disable the alarm. As an alternative, you could order a second fob from the company, and retain the alarm system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was first registered on the 01/09/2000. Model NRG VVTI. And is a mk 11, our old one was a mk 1.

This is the main Key

This one works fine as I said in my original post.

The other key is chipped and starts the car ok but the central locking does not work with that key and if locked with the remote and then unlocked with the other key the alarm goes off. Also when unlocking with the 2nd key it only unlocks the door the key is in. I have tried turning the key again but was still the same.
Maybe this is clearer now.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Sorry, I didn't notice you were not located in North America. I cannot locate an owners manual from the UK to confirm if turning the key twice in the "drivers door lock" should unlock all the doors as it did in the NA models. Do you have a copy of your own manual where you could verify if this feature exists?

It is also obvious from the picture that your RAV was equipped with a key-less entry system which was not mentioned in the NA owners manual.

If I understand your last post, only the key in your photo has the remote buttons. Is the other key not equipped with buttons at all, or does it have buttons but they do not unlock the door?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are no buttons on other key.. The old Rav was a Jap import and had a separate fob to lock and unlock and the keys were not chipped. the drivers door would unlock the other two doors. I thought that the new one would be the same. Will play around with it some more to see if I can get it to lock all of them. I use to have a car that the door key unit was like an ignition, when you turned all the way it would either open or close the electric windows (great when the kids had got out and not closed them).
There was no book in the car, only the service record.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
So it looks like you have three choices.

1) Disconnect the alarm, so that you can unlock the doors using either the key-less remote or the 2nd key. When using the 2nd key you will be limited to only unlocking one door and you can open the rest with the interior switch. It would also be wise to lock the RAV with the interior switch so that no doors are accidentally left unlocked.

2) Purchase a second key-less remote so that you can lock and unlock all the doors with either remote.

3) Let your girlfriend lock the RAV by using the interior switch, so that the alarm is not armed, and she can still use the key-less remote to unlock the door from a distance. That way you can use the key to open the door without setting off the alarm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts