Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The alarm on my 2007 Rav4 randomly goes off during the day! Nothing is setting if off either (someone touching the car etc.)
I hear that this is a common issue with Toyota's (old and new) and i can find the proper fix. Some say that the Hood Latch Assembly needs replacing, but I don't want to spend the $$ only to find out this does not fix the problem.

Toyota wont tell me the solution either (even though this alarm issue is posted all over the internet)! They have to know a solution because of all the complaints, but they all say they don't know what is causing the issue and to bring it in so they can 'diagnose' the issue and have me spend $$ with them when i can possible fix the issue myself. Sounds suspicious to me! They also say there is no recall issues concerning this alarm issue.

Anyone have the same issue and have a proper fix?

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
They may mean the Hood Switch. At least on aftermarket systems they are pretty cheap. An electrical push-switch completely open to water & dirt. I'd locate and disconnect it to see if that helps.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
The 2007 RAV4 sold in N. America didn't come with an alarm system, save for a "panic alarm" activated by the red button on the remote. Toyota did sell a VIP system as an option, but the vast majority of the RAV4's out there don't have them.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Low battery voltage can also cause an alarm to go off. Been there & experienced that. How old is the battery?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Rav4 and it did this a couple of months ago. My brother just started pushing buttons on the key and it finally stopped after going off like 6 different times. Now it's doing it again! 4 times so far. I've turned it. I've tried pushing buttons. I've driven it.... still randomly goes off! Why?! What can I do? I'll take it to Toyota if I have to but right now it's almost 10pm on Christmas night.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Like others have said change the BATTERIES in the remote.

A weak car battery can also cause it.

It's the easiest thing to try. Is it an aftermarket alarm?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the issue of random alarm activation for the last 2 years or so. It was originally "occasional," (monthly?) but recently became unbearable...3 times a day. I searched and checked all the things mentioned and couldn't figure it out. It quickly devolved into once every 2-10 minutes....never more than that. So...I found installation instructions for the factory alarm system (entire harness and components with very good pictures and everything). Behind the glovebox, there are a couple of small electronic Control Units (ECU). One is deemed the "Security ECU," the other is the "Glass Breakage Sensor (GBS) ECU." The Security ECU is located above the cabin air filter housing. The GBS ECU is located to the right (on my American model) of the cabin air filter housing. The GBS ECU is about 3"x3"x1", and mine is black. There's a sensitivity adjustment screw on it...and apparently it's connected to a small microphone. I went in there with the intention of turning the sensitivity way down. Just for fun, I pushed on the wiring connector going into the GBS ECU. It slid in about 1/2"!!!
The connector goes into the GBS unit from UNDERNEATH...and unlike most connectors, it DOES NOT "click" into place. I can easily see how vibration + gravity + time could cause it to slip out. Also, accidentally pulling down on the wires while changing the cabin air filter, or any other downward pressure could pull it out a bit....or even all the way.
Going on 5 hours with no alarm activated yet!! If this happens to be the fix, I'll wrap a piece of duct tape around that sucker!
I hope this helps someone. Something easy to check, anyway. I'd check ALL the connectors.
If someone wants a copy of the installation instructions, send me an email. My username (DPE9) AT YAHOO. Apparently they're Toyota proprietary, and don't last long on the internet.

2010 RAV4 Base Model 3.5L V6 AWD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts