Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone else has had to have a resistor replaced in their alarm system. After the dealership had to take out the dash a couple times to rid the vehicle of the dash rattle/chirp and reinstall a noise kit...it appeared they shorted something in the alarm system and I no longer had my pretty little red flashing light.

They ordered a part and replaced it. However.... I now have a red light that just flashes continuously. It flashes whether the doors are locked or unlocked etc. Prior to the replacement, the alarm worked as per the manual - armed itself with a solid light for so many seconds and then flashed when armed.

The system was also supposed to have a noise sensor..(ie. detecting the sound of glass breaking) which used to be a small microphone just under the red flashing light). The new part does not have this small microphone.

I have tried locking the doors with the window left open, and then manually unlocking the door via the window - no alarm. The panic button does however set off the alarm. (This is the test the mechanics told me to use... if the panic button works, the alarm system works......)

I am somewhat fed up with the technicians at the Dealership who can't give me any answers about the system and never seem to fix anything the first time. They couldn't even tell me if the Glass Breakage Sensor was still operational.....

Just looking for some further insight!

Thanks,
Annette :x

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So my other half checked out the situation with another dealership, 9 hrs away..and the shop foreman sits in the vehicle, waits 30 seconds, unlocks the door manually and says "you have no alarm system" . He's now doing some investigating for us to find out how we fix this problem. :roll:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Alarm System....

annette said:
(This is the test the mechanics told me to use... if the panic button works, the alarm system works......)
One word - Idiots

Alarm systems come in all shapes and sizes with different levels of sensitivity, so its all about finding out what your alarm system is exactly and then finding what functions is has and test them yourself to make sure it does what it is supposed to do.

My Alarm system is a basic one with just a "shock" sensor. If the car shakes for any reason (somone bumps into it, opens a door etc.) the shock sensor trips the alarm.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah understood. I've been through the manual. It doesn't do what its supposed to - which is theft deterrent, ie. manually unlocking the doors, loud tapping on the glass, or arm itself for that matter etc.

Eventually someone will order the right part :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine doesnt trip if you manually unlock the doors. Since mine has a shock sensor only, while unlocking the doors if you shake the car it will set off the alarm unless its been dis-armed. Its a pretty basic system but it avoids the need for multiple sensors all over the place cos the shock sensor itself does all the work.

The downfall to a shock only sensor is that the slightest vibration sets it off, i.e. something vibrates (a loud ricey exhaust) and the thing goes off. But yeah, if you can live with that then its ok :D Its just a tuning process where you find the right sensitivity setting.

Does your manual say anything about what sort of sensors are fitted?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately it doesn't have the "vibration" sensitivity. Only supposed to be set off when the doors are manually unlocked, or the vehicle is started some way other than the key. (This can be overrided for a remote starter.)

Its also "supposed" to have the built in microphone that pics up the sound of glass breaking, and should be able to set it off by tapping somewhat hard on the glass.. not too hard of course.

Its listed in the options as "Theft Deterrent System with Engine Immobilizer" for the Limited model.

So.. I can get up and jump on the roof and it won't set off the alarm, but if I tap on the glass it should set it off. Although at the moment all I've got is a blinking red light to keep people away lol 8)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont think the light should be blinking all the time....should only blink after so many seconds after arming.....another way to test the glass break sensor is by jingling a set of keys around inside the car while armed. sometimes tapping on the glass doesnt produce the frequency needed to set it off.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
finally...

well I finally got some satisfaction. The correct alarm system is finally on order for my Rav. :) I'm on the west coast of Newfoundland and it took the Shop foreman in St. John's (east coast - 900kms away) to make a phone call to Ontario to find out what part it was the Rav needed. It seems to be somewhat hard to find...yes strange when its part of the options for the Limited edition.

So now.. the Service Manager at the closest dealership, about 200kms away is on the spot. Although we did go into his office with the correct part number and order location on hand......

Now if they can only install it correctly... :!:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts